PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I may be a Pump Head forever.

Thumper
07-17-2016, 10:22 PM
I know I/we joke about it from time to time and that doesn't bother me ... I can separate friendly banter among friends and legitimate insults from strangers. This Pump Head stuff is a serious problem that sometimes bugs the living hell out'ta me. I noticed a major change shortly after surgery and it was serious enough, Lynn called the VA for some answers. They had me come in and I was tested, for a full half day, by a group of five psychiatrists. The results were that I was a "pump head" and the condition was exacerbated by pain which diverted my attention and broke my concentration. It made sense.

But, WTF is a pump head? They explained that also, but said it's temporary. It may clear up in weeks, months or it may even take up to 5 years! Well, I've been off the pain pills for years now and I've learned to live with the pain and don't really notice it "most of the time". BUT ... the pump head thing is STILL bothering me and can really be a problem at times. I call it CRS disease and Lynn calls me senile and even the possibility of Alzheimer's has been tossed around, but I've been going in for testing and, so far, they keep going back to the "pump head" thing. I went in a couple weeks ago for some additional testing and at that time, asked whatever happened to the old, "It should clear up over time" that I was told 5-6 years ago. Well, with further study, it's looking like this thing could be permanent. :(

Anyway, I'm gonna be returning to the hospital on Wednesday to see my Neurologist again. I'm not sure what's up ... she ran some tests a couple weeks ago and now wants me back in for some reason. There was a hint of further testing. Anyway, in case any of youse dufes get bored and want to learn something ... here's a bit of reading for you. The change from temporary to permanent kinda worries me a little. As a reminder, I was on a bypass pump twice in three days. :(

This was just published (or updated anyway) 2 months ago. It's a bit of a bummer. :(

https://www.verywell.com/pump-head-cognitive-impairment-after-bypass-surgery-1745241

BarryBobPosthole
07-18-2016, 03:04 AM
If its any consolation, I haven't noticed that you're any dumber than you were before the operation. But that's just me.

Anything that affects my intellect gets my attention and I'm sure this has yours. Hopefully those tests will tell you what to expect. That's what you have semi control over now. I know it'll get you on pins and needles. I'm thinking about you, Jim.

BKB

Thumper
07-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Well, actually the line is pretty blurred between "cognitive" skills and memory. Not much is mentioned in the article about memory loss ... short-term memory in my case. It happens constantly, over and over on a daily basis, and is becoming a real problem. All sorts of things have been thrown around from "typical old age" to Alzheimer's. Where the snag comes in is the timing. It was VERY apparent immediately after the surgeries and there's been no improvement over time. (I'm not really sure if it's gotten worse or not) I guess what has me concerned is how concerned the doctors seem to be. I've been told (a few years ago) that I also show signs of PTSD. I've dealt with that pretty well I think (for over 40 years now). I still have regular nightmares ... always the same ones ... but "to me", it's not really a problem and I think I do a pretty good job of dealing with it. Like anyone who has a nightmare IMO, you wake up and realize it was just a dream, then move on. Even though the nightmares are dreams recalling actual occurrences, I don't think the memories really bother me much when I'm awake. Nightmares are nightmares ... whether they're about some non-existent monster, or an actual event ... at least that's how I look at it, once I'm awake. I really don't think it affects my day to day existence.

Post Traumatic stress disorder

Post Traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is associated with altered processing of emotional material with a strong attentional bias toward trauma-related information and interferes with cognitive processing. Aside from trauma processing specificities, a wide range of cognitive impairments have been related to PTSD state with predominant attention and verbal memory deficits.

Short-term memory and intelligence

There have been few studies done on the relationship between short-term memory and intelligence in PTSD. However, examined whether people with PTSD had equivalent levels of short-term, non-verbal memory on the Benton Visual Retention Test (BVRT), and whether they had equivalent levels of intelligence on the Raven standard Progressive Matrices (RSPM). They found that people with PTSD had worse short-term, non-verbal memory on the BVRT, despite having comparable levels of intelligence on the RSPM, concluding impairments in memory influence intelligence assessments in the subjects.

To be honest ... I don't have a clue what's going on. It was like someone flipped a switch the day after my surgeries and it hasn't changed since. The problem I had to overcome was arguing with people (Lynn mostly) when they'd tell me something that I had no recollection of ever hearing, seeing or even discussing. It's really hard for me to explain here, but evidently between Lynn and my doctors, there is some genuine concern. It kinda sucks.

What was I talking about? ;)

Thumper
07-18-2016, 05:20 PM
Well, the VA just called and told me I also have an appointment for an MRI. Huh? I asked what the MRI is for and they told me they want an MRI of my brain! WTF? This is starting to get spooky. (I wonder if they'll be able to find it?) :hair

BarryBobPosthole
07-18-2016, 05:32 PM
More tests are probably a good thing. I can tell you from my own recent experience, put a high premium on information because there are times when the lack of it can be extremely frustrating.

Now if someone brings you that picture and asks you to autograph a framed version of it, then maybe you need to start worrying.

BkB

airbud7
07-18-2016, 06:03 PM
You ain't no Pump Head.....You just a Thumper ;)....thinking about you to Jim...you'll get over this.

DeputyDog
07-18-2016, 08:15 PM
I agree with Barry. More tests are better. The more info they have the better chance of finding the answer.

I'll be sending good vibes your way.

Captain
07-18-2016, 09:13 PM
Be thinking about you partner.
Hope they figure it out and get you back to normal... No wait.... ;)