PDA

View Full Version : Well, today's the day ....

Thumper
07-20-2016, 09:08 AM
I'll be heading to Tampa in a couple hours for a long day at the hospital. Nothing serious, just tests and consultations. I will also be having an MRI of my brain at 7:45 tonight (IF they can find it)! I was reading up on the procedure and it's evident that there can be no metal in the room, so I can understand the part about no pocket knives, belt buckle, change, cell phone, etc. BUT ... one item kinda stood out. Heck, I worked with tons of the stuff in my old custom car fabricating days, but that was in the 70's!

"The medical staff will need to know if you have inner ear implants, artificial joints, a defibrillator or pacemaker, particular types of heart valves, vascular stents, brain aneurysm clips, OR IF YOU HAVE EVER WORKED WITH SHEET METAL."

"EVER"?? WTF? Does one absorb sheet metal and retain it forever? I'm gonna have to ask about that one. :huh

BarryBobPosthole
07-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Hope they get some good pics of a legendary brain, Jim!

I've still got your pics from your last MRI.

Seriously, hope the news is good.

BkB

Thumper
07-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Ha ha! With a bit of imagination, those kinda look like headless wimmins sitting back to back. My mom once told me that if they ever opened the top of my head up, nothing but nekkid wimmins would come running out! Maybe she's right! :D

Yeah, I have no clue what they'll find, if anything. To be honest, I knew nothing about all of this until a week or so ago. It seems Lynn contacted my doctor and arranged all of this. I guess she seems to think it's become a major problem. We'll see.

And thanks! ;)

Big Muddy
07-20-2016, 10:02 AM
"""""It seems Lynn contacted my doctor and arranged all of this. I guess she seems to think it's become a major problem."""""

Well, at least she didn't contact the funeral home....or, maybe she has????? ;)

Thumper
07-20-2016, 10:46 AM
No ... but she DID buy life insurance ... for ME! ;)

(kidding) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-20-2016, 10:53 AM
You've been exposed to some bad shit in your lifetime, Thump. Things like this test can also bring you a peace of mind, considering.

Thumper
07-20-2016, 10:53 AM
True P-hole. To be honest, I really don't think they'll find anything. 'Cept maybe all those nekkid wimmins my mom said are in my head. :D

I'll catch youse dufes later. Lynn's only working 'til 11:00 today and will be heading home to pick me up in a few minutes. Adios ...

BarryBobPosthole
07-20-2016, 10:59 AM
Hasta la vista, Pumphead.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Prayers, Thump, prayers !!!

LJ3
07-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Prayers and positivity for the pump!

Bwana
07-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Hoping for the best outcome possible sir.

Captain
07-20-2016, 05:12 PM
Got the good vibes headed up from NC. Good luck buddy!

Thumper
07-20-2016, 06:11 PM
Well, I'm home. No clue what's happening. Had the meeting with the shrink today and she said there's just enough concern to bring me back for more in depth testing. Gotta go in next week for a full half day of testing with the head-honcho shrink. They did an MRI of my brain today, so the new shrink will have that for review when I go back. I thought I did pretty well with the test today ... guess I was wrong. I'll study a bit more for the next one. ;)

Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing. We'll see I guess.

Oh, and that MRI thing is weird. I've had a bazillion CT Scans, but never had an MRI before. Strange experience. I had no problem, but I guess I can see how some people would freak out.

BarryBobPosthole
07-20-2016, 06:28 PM
I don't know that I'd had a MRI. You go into a tunnel like deal, instead of them moving you back and forth through a big hoop contraption?

BKB

quercus alba
07-20-2016, 07:07 PM
My dad used to say that when people got older and forgetful that they had hardening of the arteries. Now it's called dementia or any other of a half dozen names but I'm not sure it's not a natural progression of aging. Some develop grey hair, enlarged prostate, high blood pressure and other age related ailments at a younger age that others. Except in Thumps case which I suspect is probably related to the fact that Lynn has dented so many skillets on his noggin. Plus that would explain why he is constantly rummaging around dead folks garages looking for cast iron cookery, all of Lynn's has a raised center and the eggs keep running to the edges

Thumper
07-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Yep BBP, the hoop thingy is a CT Scan. I've had a bazillion of those. The MRI is the tube thingy. They gave me ear plugs. Man, I've never heard so many loud, weird noises. It would deafen you without ear protection! You have to lie perfectly still for 30-45 mins. They even kinda lock your head in position so you can't move it. Of course, as soon as they slipped me in the tube, my dang nose started itching! My FIL went in for one years ago and he cracked. They give you an emergency button to hold in your hand in case you go crazy and need to get out of the thing. He bailed and told them to stuff their test where the sun don't shine! If you're claustrophobic, don't even think about it. I really had no problem, but I can see where some would go nuts. They have to sedate some people and some have to be knocked out completely, especially kids.

QA, you pretty well nailed it. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Did you tell them your safe word?

BKB

Hombre
07-20-2016, 11:08 PM
I had one years ago for my back and lost it. I am claustrophobic.

Thumper
07-20-2016, 11:45 PM
Did you tell them your safe word? BKB

Ha ha ha! (I think you may have lost a few people here) Does Julie know YOUR safe word? ;)