PDA

View Full Version : Truck spare tire.

jb
07-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Bought a new Ford Expedition 3 years ago. Came with GoodYear Wrangler P275-65R18's. I put 52K miles on them before my first flat tire.
When I dropped the spare from under the truck I noticed it was not a GoodYear, but a Continental, and even the size was different P265-60R18
Dealership said this was typical as Ford bids out the 5th tire to the lowest bidder.
Any of you ever check to see if your spare is the same or different?

BarryBobPosthole
07-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Never even looked at it. My old Chevy I know had a matching spare but that was a 2000.

I'm gonna go look when the driveway cools down to less than a thousand degrees.

BKB

Thumper
07-24-2016, 11:59 AM
All I've had the past zillion years is a Toyota, but the spare TIRE has always matched. Now the WHEELS don't. It's always the same size wheel, but a standard steel wheel instead of the fancy upgraded aluminum wheel.

BTW, that Phord trick would PISS ME OFF! If I ever get a nail in one of my tires, I usually have that one repaired, then mount it on the spare wheel and put the NEW spare tire on the ground. I had a flat one time where the nail was right on the outside edge of the tire ... basically right at the sidewall area. I patched it and switched wheels. It was FINE as a spare (never had to use it again, but it was available if needed). It would have pissed me off if I'd have had to purchase a new tire just because my spare didn't match.

Thumper
07-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Something Johnboy may want to check out. I had a buddy with a Mustang who was traveling with his wife and ran over a piece of metal on the highway. He cut the sidewall of his tire and pulled to the side of the road. He emptied all the luggage and crap from the back of the car and found out his frigging spare was missing! Not only that, but the jack was missing also! (he bought the car new) He called the dealer and was then told that to save weight and help meet the fuel mileage requirements, Ford doesn't include a spare tire or jack with the Mustang. (this was 6-7 years ago, so I don't know if things have changed) He had to load all his crap back into the car, call a tow truck and get towed to a tire dealer in the next town to buy a new tire. To add insult to injury, it was some little podunk town in Georgia and they didn't have a matching tire, so he bought the closest thing to it. When he got back home from his trip, he had to buy ANOTHER new tire to replace the one he bought on the road. If I remember correctly, the car did have a place where the spare would normally have been mounted and I believe he bought a wheel and jack, then made his own spare tire set-up using the tire he bought on the road. (I assume he did it, that was his plan anyway) I will say, even though he was a dyed-in-the-wool Ford fan, he was PISSED!

Now, I will say, I didn't have a spare in my Corvette either (can't remember if it had a jack), but it had run-flat tires. Still not an ideal situation, but I don't know where they could have put a spare anyway. It had two different sizes (front & rear) and the rear tires were 18" wide! There's no way a full-sized spare would have fit in that car.

Arty
07-24-2016, 12:49 PM
Something Johnboy may want to check out. I had a buddy with a Mustang who was traveling with his wife and ran over a piece of metal on the highway. He cut the sidewall of his tire and pulled to the side of the road. He emptied all the luggage and crap from the back of the car and found out his frigging spare was missing! Not only that, but the jack was missing also! (he bought the car new) He called the dealer and was then told that to save weight and help meet the fuel mileage requirements, Ford doesn't include a spare tire or jack with the Mustang. (this was 6-7 years ago, so I don't know if things have changed) He had to load all his crap back into the car, call a tow truck and get towed to a tire dealer in the next town to buy a new tire. To add insult to injury, it was some little podunk town in Georgia and they didn't have a matching tire, so he bought the closest thing to it. When he got back home from his trip, he had to buy ANOTHER new tire to replace the one he bought on the road. If I remember correctly, the car did have a place where the spare would normally have been mounted and I believe he bought a wheel and jack, then made his own spare tire set-up using the tire he bought on the road. (I assume he did it, that was his plan anyway) I will say, even though he was a dyed-in-the-wool Ford fan, he was PISSED!

That might have changed either before or after 2006. My sons car is an 06 mustang and its got a spare and a jack.

BarryBobPosthole
07-24-2016, 12:51 PM
There was a time when theives around here would cruise parking lots for newer looking pickups. Then they'd cut the cable and steal the spare tire. I onow because it happened to me. my Chevy dealer wanted 400 for the rim and another hundred for the matching (Wilderness A/T) wheel and tire, which is a racket all its own. So I bought a steel rim and a cheap tire for a spare. I think my insurance deductible was $500.
I'm pretty sure my new truck came with a matching rim and spare but I sure am curious now.

BKB

Thumper
07-24-2016, 01:08 PM
Unless your truck has the standard wheels, I think an upgraded wheel for the spare is an option. I'm not sure about the Tundra. Or matching wheels may be a part of a certain option package. I've NEVER had a Toyota that didn't have matching tires though.

Thumper
07-24-2016, 01:17 PM
That might have changed either before or after 2006. My sons car is an 06 mustang and its got a spare and a jack.

I was curious Arty. Now I have no clue when they started this, so it may have changed over the years and may even be different with certain models of the same year, but I just went to the Ford site ( http://shop.ford.com/ ) and looked at the Mustang build sheets. All 5 Mustang models show a spare tire as an extra cost option.

http://shop.ford.com/build/mustang/?welcomeMessage=false&&makeTransition=config#/select/

This may be common with many different lines, I really don't know. I've had Toyotas for so long, I just never thought about it until this thread.

Arty
07-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Unbelievable that it would be an "add on". Wow.

jb
07-24-2016, 04:17 PM
Hell, I'm old enough to remember when a car heater was an option, radio's too.

BarryBobPosthole
07-24-2016, 05:48 PM
There was a time rear bumpers on trucks were an option.

BKB

Thumper
07-24-2016, 07:15 PM
Yep, heaters and radios I remember well, as well as rear truck bumpers. I also remember when seatbelts were an option and you had to pay extra for them!

Arty
07-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Hell, I'm old enough to remember when a car heater was an option, radio's too. cars didn't cost almost a years salary for an average fella either, I would assume.

jb
07-24-2016, 09:07 PM
About 3/4 of a year.
Bought a new 67 Mustang Convert, pretty well loaded with a 289 HP engine and four speed stick, hood scoops and deluxe interior package, and 8 track tape deck
$3,200 out the door.
Financed for 3 years @ $72 a month with about $800 down.
I was fresh out of college and making $5,800, premium gas was 38 cents a gal, and McDonalds were 25 cents w/ 10 cent fires.
Life was good.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/67%20Mustang._zps25vedfn9.jpg

Thumper
07-24-2016, 10:10 PM
I remember my dad buying a new Pontiac Bonneville in 1960 for $3500. My uncle (Mom's brother) always drove a new Cadillac and I remember dad saying he could have bought 2 1/2 Pontiacs for what my uncle paid for his new Caddie (I don't remember the model).

I have no idea how much my dad or my uncle made in those days, but I just Googled the average income for 1960 and came up with $5200. My dad was hired as Service Manager at the local Pontiac dealer in the mid-60's and I remember bragging to all my friends that my dad was now making $1000/month! I thought we were bazillionairs!

Oh, and I just remembered another option on early cars ... a passenger side sun visor! ;)

Thumper
07-24-2016, 10:14 PM
Hey P-hole ... did you ever check out the spare on that there fancy Tundra?

BarryBobPosthole
07-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Nope. Got busy.

BKB