PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday to Me

BarryBobPosthole
07-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Well, its not my birthday, but this is an early birthday present. Ever since I gave my HD28 to my youngest son on his 30th birthday, I've been jonesing for another good acoustic guitar. This
d28 will fit the bill!

I'm a lucky guy! My wife said 'You should get yourself a new guitar for your birthday'. An hour later I was walking out of the store with this one. Been salivating over it for a while.

BKB

airbud7
07-30-2016, 04:18 PM
Heck yea Barry that looks nice!/ can you play as good as LJ?

BarryBobPosthole
07-30-2016, 04:33 PM
Uh.....no. Not even close.

BKB

Thumper
07-30-2016, 05:27 PM
Oh great! Way to go A/B ... now the Lenster's head will be so swollen up, he prolly won't fit through the doorway! :thack

airbud7
07-30-2016, 05:29 PM
I bet we would have a great time sitting around the campfire singing all kinds of stuff....I'll bring the weed/ you bring the beer....

Yee Haw!!!!

Chicken Dinner
07-30-2016, 06:02 PM
I always like the gifts I buy myself the best. Congrats on the new gitfiddle.

Big Skyz
07-30-2016, 06:51 PM
Nice gift to yourself!

LJ3
07-31-2016, 09:04 PM
Dude. That is SO nice! So, tone wise which has that more bottom end Martin tone. The D28 or HD28? Are you digging it? Do you get a shit eating grin when you strum it and hear that tone? I would love to play it some day. True story, I'm always too intimidated to play the high end acoustics in local shops around here so I only get exposed to good acustics when my friends get them and let me touch them :) So... long story short, I'm in your driveway, can you open the front door??!?!?!?

I've been trying to convince the wife I need a new acoustic (I REALLY do need one) but the recent addition of the Telecaster to the fold has thwarted a high and acoustic purchase for me for a while.

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2016, 09:10 PM
It may be my imagination, but I think the HD had a little richer tone at the bottom end. I think scalloped braces are the main difference. The thing about both that is amazing to me is the 'ring'. Both will play loud and clear and stay crisp.

I gave my HD28 to my son three years ago on his 30th birthday and haven't picked up a guitar since and seriously played. Man,am I ever rusty. Gotta work up some strength and some calousses here pretty quick!

BKb

LJ3
08-01-2016, 11:09 AM
YEah, I don't know much about the bracing and what it doesn't to the acoustics but I've heard that same thing before. If your Son isn't playing the HD28 daily, I'd like to apply for adoption please. Which son, Dan or Chris?

BarryBobPosthole
08-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Dan is who the guitar went to. He asked me years ago if i'd pass my old Tak to him some day. When the headstock got broke on that one (I'm still grieving) I decided to give him my Martin when he turned 30. Hopefully that one will be an heirloom he passes on some day.

This one is all mine! MINE MINE MINE

I don't understand all I know about why, but the scalloped bracing does make a difference. My old Tak was one of the original 1975 guitars that were Japanese made but copiec the look of Martins all the way down to the trademark on the headstock and the purling, but were actually much closer in construction to a Guild dreadnought acoustic. It had the scalloped braces and for a cheap guitar, I think they sold for around $250 in the 70's, it always sounded awesome to me and was one of the easiest guitars to play I've ever handled. Was made with laminated maple back and sides and neck, and laminated spruce top. The more expensive guitars it copied used solid rosewood back and sides and solid spruce tops.

Here's a pretty informative link on the bracing.
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/SclpBraces/sclpbrace1.html

BKB

LJ3
08-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Nice! I have a 12 string Tak from that same era. Looks like a martin from a distance. That thing is build like a friggin' battleship! It's been dropped so many times I lost count, fallen over, even had little girls literally dancing on it. Still plays like a champ today!