PDA

View Full Version : 'Splain sumpin' to me Lucy!

Thumper
08-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Lynn was warming something in the microwave yesterday and mentioned to me that the turn-table was turning in the opposite direction it normally does. I glanced through the door and it was turning counter-clockwise. To be honest, we've had it for many years and I never paid attention to which way it turned ... I simply told her she was crazy and walked away. Today, I was warming up some left-overs for lunch and it was turning clockwise! To be honest. I didn't really pay much attention to Lynn yesterday but THOUGHT she said it was turning counter-clockwise, but figured I just had a brain-fart and she actually said clockwise. Ok, I finished my lunch and stuck a bowl of peach cobbler, that she'd made the other day, into the microwave. I'll be damned! It was then turning COUNTER-clockwise! This is kinda weirding me out. I have no clue. It makes no sense.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2016, 02:14 PM
My understanding is they kind of work like a reversing garbage disposal does. When the resistance gets to a certain point, the motor reverses and tries to go in the opposite direction. Did she have something heavy in there?

BKB

Big Muddy
08-05-2016, 02:24 PM
HA, you ain't going crazy, Thump(at least, not anymore than normal ;))....most, but not all, microwaves have that reverse feature....they're suppose to do that for even heating/cooking of mainly larger/denser food items, i.e., baked potatoes.

Nuke 'em for 3 min. on one side, then turn 'em over for 3 more min.....when you open the door to rotate them, most units will reverse, and turn in the opposite direction for more even cooking.

johnboy
08-05-2016, 02:32 PM
What Muddy said.

Thumper
08-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Dang! I've had a microwave since the 80's and never noticed it. I guess I just never stood at the door and watched my food go round and round. Learn sumpin' new every day! ;)

Big Muddy
08-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Your's prolly only moves in one direction, and VERY slowly....KFC lard buildup. ;)

Thumper
08-05-2016, 04:42 PM
If you don't have your own, I have a stool you can borrow. ;)