PDA

View Full Version : Beer

jb
08-07-2016, 07:17 PM
I''ve been drinking beer since I was 17, that makes about 55 years now. During my college days I consumed just about my life time limit so for the past 45 years it's been down to a couple of 6 packs a year.
I've tried just about every brand out there and some shit down in Mexico that wasn't all that bad.
Now I live in an area that is becoming the craft beer capitol of the mid west, so tonight my wife takes me to this Craft Beer/ Eatery for a nice summer evening out.
Walk up to the counter and they ask what I want from about a dozen beers offered.
I said something as close as you got to normal American beer like Bud, Coors or PBR. He says this is what you want and gives me a glass of beer that cost $5
Took a few sips and commented it tasted about the same as what we use to call "Skunk" beer, you know the taste of beer left in the trunk of your car in the dead of winter that you have to thaw out in front of the cars heater to drink it.
Ended up dumping that $5 beer in the trash container and reordering a Root Beer to go with my dinner.
Craft beer is right up there with boiled peanuts on my "Do not order" list.:beer

DeputyDog
08-07-2016, 07:37 PM
I tried one that was pretty good, at least I thought so, when the wife and I were up there a couple weeks ago. We went to dinner at The Jolly Pumpkin, the haunted place you pointed out to me. I can't remember which beer it was but I liked it. Tobi said that the ribs she ordered were probably the best ones she's ever had. My salmon dinner were pretty good too.

I took her over to the dunes and Glen Arbor on our way home and we ate lunch at Boonedocks before heading south. Good food there too.

Thanks for the recommendations! She said they will be back up there for more of the same training again next summer.

airbud7
08-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Yep^...I went to savannah ga the other day and stopped at some craft Beer thing and the dude told me instantly......>We don't sell domestic beer!!!.....I ask for something like bud or bud light and he gave me a $7.00 glass of horse piss....

BarryBobPosthole
08-07-2016, 07:43 PM
^^^^^^Trump voters^^^^^^^

BkB

Thumper
08-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Bubba, I prolly could'a drank you under the table in my younger days. Between High School/College, the Army and spending many months on the beaches of Mexico, I've prolly swallowed enough beer to float a battle ship! (I never was a big liquor drinker) Once I started my business and had many commercial contracts with strict drug/alcohol restrictions (as well as random, unannounced testing at any time), then started driving a truck for a company with ZERO tolerance and finally coming out of a long hospital stay where I take a hand full of pills every day and don't know how they mix with alcohol ... well, lets just say I really haven't had much to drink for a while! I will say, I've tried quite a few of those Yuppie craft beers and I'd put them right up there in the horse piss category myownfineself and I could'a bought a 6-pack for what a glass of the Yuppie stuff cost me.

LJ3
08-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Bubba, a word of advice that will work for you. When in a craft beer place ask for their lager. Your taste buds will thank me and they usually taste like the watered down crap you like to drink :)

Seriously though... Bud, Miller, coors and those are all lagers. Even craft breweries can't screw up that recipe!

airbud7
08-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Seriously though... Bud, Miller, coors and those are all lagers. Even craft breweries can't screw up that recipe!

lagers my ass^........there lager is so thick in brown shit that it makes me sick/ all I say is....>filter that other crap off.....http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/o-PINT-GLASS-BEER-facebook1.jpg

Thumper
08-07-2016, 10:45 PM
If it tastes like Bud, Miller, etc, ... why pay $7/glass? Just drink a Bud! Duh! ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-08-2016, 07:47 AM
I'm not afraid to admit that I enjoy craft beer. That being said, there's a lot of crap out there being passed off as craft beer. Sometimes it seems like any millennial with a bad beard and loud socks thinks that's all he needs to open a microbrewery. Life is also too short to drink nothing but Bud and Coors. (Ice cold on a hot day, I like both as much as the next guy.) unless I know the brewery or am trying a sample in a flight, I stay away from anything hoppy like an an IPA as these jokers like to throw a bunch of hops at it to make up for any lack of real beer making experience. Don't be afraid to send it back and ask for something else if you don't like it. In addition to Lagers and Pilsners, give a Kolsch or Wit beer a try. They tend to be a little lighter than some of then some of the other stuff.

LJ3
08-08-2016, 09:41 AM
I agree about the hops being used to cover up shitty beer. It's gotten much better over the last couple years. There's many good craft brew IPAs that assault your tastebuds with hops but give you lots of flavors too. I look at beer as an adventure to be taken :)

And Hank is dead on. If you're at a craft brew pub and don't like what they gave you, they are more than happy to give you something else and give you samples if you're not sure.

HideHunter
08-08-2016, 09:55 AM
I've come back to an occasional beer after a 40 year hiatus. Actually, I drink two at a time.. Beers are like women's breasts - one's not enough and three's too many. Beer makes me "full" - whiskey just makes me smarter.

I have found a few I like.. and none of them, probably, would suit you high-end connisewers (sic). Basically, I want a beer that still tastes like beer (absolutely no fruit or "flavoring").. I want something with a bit more body than most regular bar shit and - absolutely - hate any bitter taste. As far as I'm concerned - that's back to the skunk beer jb talks about. Right now my picks are, in no particular order, Shiner Bock, Amber Bock (especially on tap), Spotted Cow and Totally Naked (New Glarus) out of Wisconsin and Yuenglings (you can't get it here). I do like a Black and Tan but that's about unheard of here. Obviously nothing too fancy. (Remember, I do live in rural Iowa - I'd have to drive 70 miles to get to the closest micro-brewery).. Anyway, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream (I like chocolate).

Chicken Dinner
08-08-2016, 10:19 AM
I love me a Shiner and amber ales in general are one of my main go-to's when I don't see anything else I recognize. Lots of good malty flavor and they don't seem to be over hopped. Some of these hop guys are like the folks who drink monkey poo coffee or want to be able to taste the peat from a particular part of Scotland in their single malt.

P.S. I thought whiskey made you braver, not smarter? Or, is that tequila?

BarryBobPosthole
08-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Tequila makes you ten feet tall and bulletproof!

BKB

quercus alba
08-08-2016, 11:02 AM
I don't understand anything y'all are talking about. The last beer I had was Halloween night 1978. I did understand the term skunky beer but all the rest including most of the brand names are Greek to me.

Guess I'm just a boring boy

BarryBobPosthole
08-08-2016, 11:38 AM
I haven't had any alcohol since July 4th. Not that I think it contributed in any way to my kidney cancer.

But for some reason I just don't really know if I'll drink again or not. We'll see. Perspective on shit changes.

Time for another toke.

BKB

LJ3
08-08-2016, 12:10 PM
I think you have the better alternative in your hand :)

BarryBobPosthole
08-08-2016, 12:28 PM
How do you know what I have in my hand?

Oh wait, you meant the other hand!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
08-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Wilderberry juice doesn't count. Does it?

BarryBobPosthole
08-08-2016, 01:31 PM
Well, there is always special occasions!

BKB

LJ3
08-08-2016, 01:41 PM
How do you know what I have in my hand?

Oh wait, you meant the other hand!

BKB

I was referring to your new guitfiddle, pervert!

johnboy
08-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Lots and lots of beers out there. At least one for every taste, no matter how strange. I belonged to a club that met every Thursday to sample new and different beers from around the world and some were great and some not so much. Personally, I don't care for the super hopped beers though a nice IPA can be quite good if not done to the extreme. What I do like are the heavy, malty ales like a Scotch ale with the the Belgian abbey brewed ales tied for first place. Not beers you would drink after mowing the lawn on a hot day but TASTY.

Try as many beers as you can because you might be surprised at how good some can be. :beer

LJ3
08-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Open-mindedness is not a goodhunter prominent gene :)

Captain
08-08-2016, 07:32 PM

BarryBobPosthole
08-08-2016, 07:34 PM
:laughing Another Trump voter heard from!

BKB

Captain
08-08-2016, 07:43 PM