PDA

View Full Version : Hallelujah, and pass the mollasses and cathead biscuits....

Big Muddy
08-09-2016, 12:25 PM
We've had nearly 60 straight days of highs in the 95 degree range....weather 'ho's say, after tomorrow, highs will only be in the mid to upper 80's for the next week and a half....thank you, Lord !!!!! ;)

My leasee has been irrigating his soybeans, and they are absolutely beautiful....and, there isn't a single weed or blade of grass, anywhere....'course, he's got his own ag plane, too ;)....I think I'll keep him around for another year.

Bwana
08-09-2016, 01:39 PM
There is nothing to compare for scale purposes but that appears to me a right, dandy stand he's got himself there.

Just curious, what is an average yield for irrigated soybeans? 75 bu/ac? I have no idea as all of our cropping is dryland.

Big Muddy
08-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Sorry about that, Bwana, a height reference never even crossed my mind....I had a shovel in the back of my Ranger, and shoulda stuck it up in the ground for a height reference....however, the soybeans in the pic are approx. 46-48 inches tall, and pods are loaded from top to bottom.

Most of the irrigated soybeans around here will average 65-75 bushels per acre, and I have heard some yields, as high as 90 bushels per acre....dry-land soybeans with very little rainfall will average about 30-40 bushels per acre.

LJ3
08-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Those are monsters compared to the dryland beans I sometimes snack on after I'm done fishing on the river. Don't tell the farmer!

Chicken Dinner
08-09-2016, 03:38 PM
You mean "edamame"?

Bwana
08-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Sounds like a mighty fine crop indeed Muddy, congrats.

Captain
08-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Where's the pig weed? Can't be a field of beans without pig weed. ;)

Those round-up ready beans are the shit ain't they?
Ooooops did I just mention a GMO??? :D

BarryBobPosthole
08-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Do they have little labels on them?

BKB

Thumper
08-09-2016, 08:28 PM
You mean "edamame"?

Well, I got it CD. ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-09-2016, 08:54 PM
Well, I got it CD. ;)

Can't teach these Cossacks anything..,

Captain
08-09-2016, 09:31 PM
I think LJ was talking about ripe beans...

BarryBobPosthole
08-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Do dryland beans have fewer farts?

BKB

Captain
08-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Only the square ones.

BarryBobPosthole
08-09-2016, 10:07 PM
Those must be the GMO ones. I heard they made your farts leave tracks in your bloomers.

BKB

Big Muddy
08-10-2016, 12:43 AM
Where's the pig weed? Can't be a field of beans without pig weed. ;)

Those round-up ready beans are the shit ain't they?
Ooooops did I just mention a GMO??? :D

Cap, Roundup won't touch pig weeds down here, any longer....they've gotten totally resistant to it....ryegrass is, too....it seems like Roundup has lost some of it's killing power on lots of stuff....I've just about quit using it on fence lines, around my yard, and on my turn rows....I've been using a new chemical called Devour....actually, it's just a stronger formulation of Gramoxone, so you use less of it....man, you talking about killing some sheeit....and, it works FAST....nearly instant results in just a few hours....not days, like Roundup....and, costs about the same, too.

Captain
08-10-2016, 05:10 AM
Same here too, round- up will not touch pig weed and several others. That's the reason I said where's the pig-weed? Cause those round up ready beans are good, but round up don't kill pig weed. So all fields around here have pretty beans but you can see some pig weed in them here and there.
I've still got many gallons of round up to use but after that I've got to find something else to use. Ive sprayed my fences about 4 times this year and even increased the per ounce amount I'm using. I'm going to look for something I can spray in the spring and it will last all summer.

Thumper
08-10-2016, 07:51 AM
A nice mixture of diesel fuel and used motor oil works well. ;)

Thumper
08-10-2016, 08:08 AM
I gotta admit, I didn't have a clue what "pigweed" was ... so I checked with my friend Google. Heck, if it's so easy to grow that you don't even have to TRY growing it, screw the other crap that you have to coddle, spray, feed, etc etc ... just grow yourself a crop of pigweed! I think youse farmer types intentionally make life difficult for yourselves just so you'll have sumpin' to bitch about! ;)

Pigweed: Young leaves can be eaten raw or cooked like spinach, sautéed, etc. Pigweed has a mild flavor and is often mixed with stronger flavored leaves. Fresh or dried pigweed leaves can be used to make tea. The seed is very small but easy to harvest and very nutritious. The flavor is greatly improved by roasting the seed before grinding it. Pigweed seed can be ground into a powder and used as a cereal substitute, it can also be sprouted and added to salads.

Big Muddy
08-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Cap, on your fence lines, it sounds like you need to just add some Pramitol, Arsenal, or Imazapyr to your Roundup....suppose to give year-long control....I've used Arsenal, and no weeds or grass come back for a LONG time.

LJ3
08-10-2016, 10:05 AM
You mean "edamame"?

Yessir, in the raw!

Captain
08-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Yessir, in the raw!
Why don't you put some clothes on to eat them beans??

LJ3
08-10-2016, 02:23 PM
I like the way it feels when they brush against my balls.

BarryBobPosthole
08-10-2016, 02:59 PM
That ain't right.

BKB

LJ3
08-10-2016, 03:11 PM
I don't snack on the ball beans, just the untouched ones :)

Enjoy your next serving of edamame!