PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Man Sentenced to Jail in Waterfowl Baiting Case.....

Big Muddy
08-13-2016, 08:29 AM
August 2016
NEWS RELEASE BY U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE:

BOISE – Gregory Obendorf, 61, of Parma, Idaho, was sentenced to 15 days in jail and a $40,000 fine for conspiracy to bait migratory birds and placing bait for migratory birds, both in violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, U.S. Attorney Wendy J. Olson announced. Obendorf was found guilty on both charges by a federal jury on May 16, 2016.

Chief U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill also placed Obendorf on probation for a term of three years. Judge Winmill ordered that during Obendorf’s term of probation, he must complete 200 hours of community service. Judge Winmill also revoked Obendorf’s hunting and fishing privileges and prohibited him from baiting or feeding migratory waterfowl on his property during his term of probation. In pronouncing the sentence, Judge Winmill noted that Obendorf’s prolonged illegal baiting of ducks contributed to changes in the migratory flight patterns of ducks and geese. Judge Winmill found this change detrimentally affected others who hunted on nearby public lands, including Lake Lowell and the Fort Boise Wildlife Management Area.

The jury found that Obendorf conspired with other persons from November 2007 to January 2014, to place bait for migratory birds, specifically ducks, for the purpose of hunting on his farm located on the Boise River in Parma, Idaho. The jury also convicted Obendorf of directing the placement of bait for duck hunting in November 2013.

The jury heard evidence over the seven-day trial that at the beginning of duck hunting season each year of the conspiracy, Obendorf instructed his combine operators to partially combine his corn field to intentionally spread corn kernels onto the field. Agents from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service flew over Obendorf’s property in November of 2013, and observed piles of corn near a duck blind from the air. Agents and officers from the Idaho Department of Fish and Game then investigated and discovered that the entire corn field was baited. After baiting the field with corn, Obendorf would flood the corn field and allow hunters to shoot ducks over the baited field. The jury also heard evidence that Obendorf instructed another individual to use a tractor to knock down standing corn in the field at night before his guests would hunt the field the following day. Obendorf boasted in a recorded conversation with Idaho Fish and Game officers that he had over 200,000 ducks in the baited field during the 2013 hunting season. Several hunters who Obendorf invited to hunt on his property testified at trial that they hunted the corn field during the course of the conspiracy and that they were able to take their limits of ducks in under an hour.

At sentencing, Obendorf argued that he deserved leniency from the Court based on his prior good works, including allowing Idaho Fish and Game officers to take youths hunting on his property. However, after his conviction on May 16, 2016, he called Idaho and Fish and Game to advise them that he would no longer allow any youth hunts on his property.

The case was investigated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Idaho Department of Fish and Game.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Sounds like what the state does here with DU funds. Only they plant millet and flood then flood fields.

Its hard to know the scale of this deal, and it doesn't mention if he charged people to hunt his fields or not, but it sounds a lot like the law got a little overly zealous. Then again, a short, but wise law dawg told me once 'If you do the crime, be prepared to do the time."

I remember a similar case in south Texas. Where they fed peanut hay to cattle they had zillions of snow geese coming in on their fields. So they had some organized, paid for hunts and they killed a ton of them. (they done a deed in my opinion) There was a big sting operation by the media and the feds to bust them and they had a big perp walk and the hunts made national news from the videos they shot of the hunts.
Its a dubious line, IMO and I've always wondered when a person makes habitat available for fish or deer or pigs or whatever, why is that different than planting and bush hogging a corn field for those orange legged migrants?

BKB

Big Skyz
08-13-2016, 10:33 AM
I can only imagine the conversation in jail...what are ya in here for? Duck baiting...followed by laughter and disbelief.

Thumper
08-13-2016, 11:48 AM
I can only imagine the conversation in jail...what are ya in here for? Duck baiting...followed by laughter and disbelief.

Yeah, but it was the Master Duck that he got caught baiting. ;)