PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - Philly bound

Bwana
08-15-2016, 12:55 PM
I will be attending a conference in Philadelphia in about a month and having never been there I thought I would ask you folks if there are any must-see/must-do things I need to add to my list. My daughter and the Missus will be tagging along as well.

I'm all ears.

Chicken Dinner
08-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Sure, don't leave the hotel. :D

Chicken Dinner
08-15-2016, 01:02 PM
Seriously, Philly is a dump overrun with the worst elements of New Jersey.:D

It's actually been a couple of years for me. But, the historical stuff is pretty cool. Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc. You should also try one of the famous cheese steaks "wid Whiz". There's a bunch of different places. But, the two most famous are right across the street from each other. South Street used to be where the main night life was.

BarryBobPosthole
08-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Have a sandwich.

Watch out for Quakers.

BKB

Captain
08-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Sure, don't leave the hotel. :D

That was EXACTLY what I was going to post and scrolled down and saw you beat me to it....

LJ3
08-15-2016, 05:13 PM
It's a pretty sketchy city so DO be careful where you go. It can turn bad real quick so stay near the city center and stick to the history stuff. the steake and cheese thing is overrated. Mine are the winner! :)

Bwana
08-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Wow, I'm sure the girls will be tickled to hear the rave reviews from you gents. Oh well, too late now.

Thumper
08-15-2016, 06:38 PM
When I was driving my truck, we had a yard in Philly where I spent a ton of time. I did a LOT of load shuttles from the Philly yard to Jersey. Kinda like going from the left armpit to the right armpit. But, like any big Yankee city, you have your good and bad areas. I have to admit most of my time was spent around warehousing districts, not exactly the scenic tour. I'm with Len, the Philly Cheese Steak is overrated IMO. Not that they're bad, just that they didn't seem any better than anyplace else I've had them. I guess I didn't help a bit. Sorry.