PDA

View Full Version : Hey jb, did you go to the Grand?

Bwana
08-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Just wondering if you shot the Grand at Sparta this past week?

Thought you might appreciated this, so here goes: A buddy of mine that I call coyotes and do some reloading with was there and did himself right proud in that he ended up taking 5th place in the AAA Division. As I understand him he only missed 3 pigeons out of 900 singles targets. Overall, between handicap, doubles, and singles (not counting the shoot-off targets) he says he missed 37 targets out of 1000. Needless to say he was pretty tickled with his showing this year.

Though I will never be there to shoot, it must be impressive to see a trapline of what I am told is 3.5 miles long when everyone is shooting.

Hopefully you are breaking them all with that fancy new shooting iron you won last year.

jb
08-16-2016, 05:25 PM
No, not this year. I've been to 3 of them, fantastic event, fun times, great shooting but it's about 10.5 hours away and good rooms are hard to come by.
Your friend did some excellent shooting, if I shot near that well I'd have to go no matter what the distance.
Best I did was a 99/100 but unless you can consistently shoot 200/200 you're just a name on the sheet and you're there for the fun and not the prize.
The Grand is the Super Bowl of trap shooting, so you're shooting against people who are almost professionals of the sport.
I will go again (hopefully).
How's your trap shooting doing this summer??

Bwana
08-17-2016, 09:21 AM
jb, your comment about needing to shoot 200/200 is correct. Last week there were 63 out of 3000 that did to get into the shoot off. That is just crazy for a lowly bird hunter like me. Now if I could shoot 99/100 I would be VERY tickled with myself, way to go!

As for my shooting this year, I haven't shot a single round of trap so far. With a number of things that were going on back in my life this April - June I decided to not shoot league this year which breaks my streak of 9 years. Maybe next year. Sure hope the pheasants don't laugh too hard at me this fall. ;)