PDA

View Full Version : Pink flamingos.....

Big Muddy
08-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Late yesterday afternoon, I was driving back from town, and had to do a double-take near a fallowed field north of my house....I hit the brakes, and jumped outta my truck with my cellphone camera, ready to take some pics of what looked like about 15 pink flamingos, feeding and walking around in the bare field....they were about 200 yards away, and just as I got the camera up, they flew off and all I got was a pic of the dark sky....a little research proved that they were actually Roseated Spoonbills, which are always confused with looking like flamingos, and they do rarely migrate to our gulf coast region.

After Katrina, pelicans started showing up around here, and they are still around here....I suppose Katrina's fierce south winds blew them in here in 2005....we have been getting some really bad weather, coming in from the south for about a week, so I assume these Roseates followed the gulf winds to here, as well.

I called a buddy of mine, who travels that same road, and asked him if he had seen them....his first question was, "What the h3ll have you been drinking???"

This is a stock photo of nearly exactly what I saw in that field.

One thing is for sure, that was one weird sight for the MS Delta. ;)

Thumper
08-18-2016, 11:05 AM
I'm surprised they don't get up to your area. They're very common down here and I'm over toward the central part of the state. They're generally a coastal bird (mostly Gulf Coast) and migrate to S. America I believe. They're all around the lakes and along the rivers I used to canoe in. Of course they're more common in the coastal backwaters.

Thumper
08-18-2016, 11:13 AM
Oh, an interesting fact many people don't realize. Flamingos are actually grey or "whitish" ... it's their diet that makes them turn pink ... especially shrimp (I think it's the "carotids" or something like that). If I remember correctly, algae does the same thing, but makes them a lighter pink. My memory may not be persactly correct, but that should be close. I believe it's the same deal with the spoonbills.

BarryBobPosthole
08-18-2016, 11:19 AM
My pee smells when I eat asparagus. Is that the same thing?
I have pink parts too.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
08-18-2016, 11:41 AM
My pee smells when I eat asparagus. Is that the same thing? I have pink parts too. BKB

You may want to go see the ass Doctor.

Big Muddy
08-18-2016, 11:40 PM
You may want to go see the ass Doctor.

That's prolly the reason he's got "pink parts". ;)