PDA

View Full Version : I don't wanna hear from you songbird crybabies!

Thumper
08-20-2016, 12:19 PM
Cat's got's ta' eat too ya' know? ;)

I think I mentioned a while back that we found a mama cat and her 4 babies in our back yard a few months back. They were totally feral and mama cat was nothing but skin and bones. We started putting food out early every morning and again late in the evening. Mama cat got on a regular feeding schedule, but she was still nursing the little ones. Well, over time, she got to the point she'd show up at the front door twice a day around feeding time, then she'd disappear to the corner of the back yard by my shed to nurse the kittens. They had only been around for a couple days when one of the kittens vanished ... it was here for the evening feeding, but not the next morning. I figure an owl or something got her during the night.

Well, with time, the kittens were weaned and started showing up at the door with mama for their daily feedings. I finally got to the point I could get close enough to grab them while they ate and we took the whole fam-dambly in to be "fixed" and got all their shots, then I released them once we got them back home. Skip ahead a month or so and I'm now able to pick the kittens up, give them some cuddling and a bit of human kindness. Like clockwork, the whole family shows up in the early morning and again in the evening. They've been a lot of fun watching as they grow and evolve ... plus, who can resist kittens playing anyway? They've been great entertainment and they've tamed up quite a bit to the point I pick each one of them up at feeding time, give them a bit of attention, then set them back down.

Then it started! "Someone" started "returning the favor" by bringing me little "gifts" during the night and these "gifts" are always waiting for me just outside the front door first thing in the morning. It started out with sticks, or large leaves ... anything, but it was always something foreign to the normal porch debris. Soon I received a bird's head (don't start whining, it was a nasty frigging Blue Jay ... good riddance). I disposed of it and the next morning, there was a small, dead snake awaiting my arrival. I "took care" of that also and disposed of it. That evening I told Lynn about it and she called "bullshit", so I decided to start taking pics to send her at work.

The next morning I guess hunting had been bad, so they brought me a root of some sort. It wasn't always something fancy, but they'd bring me SOMETHING! (I assume to thank me for feeding them)

Ok, then they left me a ball of Spanish moss. I didn't think to take a pic and simply threw it into the bushes next to the house. The next morning, I find that same ball of moss along with a lizard (common here) laying on the cushion we placed on a chair on the porch for them to lay on during the day.

Ok, the trend continues and I come out in the morning to find a mouse awaiting my arrival!

Another day, another lizard! (he seems to be missing a tail)

Time moves on and I open the door for their morning feeding to find a frog laying there, minus a couple of hind legs. (I suppose somebody had frog legs for a midnight snack)

It's funny as hell because they always leave these "gifts" right at the front door! But today takes the cake. I guess they figured they'd do ol' dad a huge favor! They brought me a petite, naked, blonde chick with nice boobs! I have no clue where she came from ... we're on a cul-de-sac filled with old geezers! Man-o-man, if they brought this for me today, I can't wait for Father's Day!! :fine

7580 7581

BarryBobPosthole
08-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Normally I have to read Facebook to get cat pics and stories.

Thanlfully, the Coopers hawks have thinned out the housecats my neighbors allow to roam everyone else's property in my neighborhood.

BKB

Thumper
08-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Waaaa waaaa! :crybaby

Thumper
08-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Mama and the babies at feeding time ... (yep, there's the proverbial "one in the woodpile") ;)

Captain
08-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Four .22 longs would cure that problem! And you will probably sell that doll on eBay for a hundred bucks.

Bwana
08-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Neat story Thump...except for the fact that they are cats.

Chicken Dinner
08-22-2016, 09:23 AM
You need to name whoever's doing it "Sid". (I, too, usually just get my cat pictures from Len's FB feed.)

Thumper
08-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Well Mudward, I now have competition for Sandy. I walked outside to feed the kitties this morning and found they'd left me another nice "gift". Since this thread was started, I've still received my daily gift of mice, snakes, lizards and frogs (we have bazillions of 'em), but this morning they left me sumpin' for biscuits & tree-rat gravy. :D

HideHunter
08-29-2016, 12:08 PM
back in the olden days when we had the tavern/restaurant, cats became a major problem. Our dumpster sat in an enclosure in the corner of the parking lot and it wasn't unusual to have a dozen of the damned things hanging around hoping someone forgot to close the lid.. Anything left where they could tear it up - they did. Customers were complaining they had cats sitting on their cars. Just generally being vermin like they are. The "can" shed was right next to the dumpster and they would get in there and shit all over everything. So... I built a box.. inserted a 220 Conibear and few scraps.. 13 nights I had 12 cats a 'possum. None of them had collars and tags so I just threw them in the dumpster. Problem solved.

Thumper
08-29-2016, 12:21 PM
I'll hide that post from Lynn. :D

The sad thing is ... HUMANS are at fault there.

HideHunter
08-29-2016, 01:31 PM
and there. you and I agree whole-heartedly.. ;)