PDA

View Full Version : Another "remember these?" post

Thumper
08-22-2016, 12:49 AM
7587 7588

I was at an estate sale a week or so ago and there was a shed out back that was full of junk. I have to admit, it was a lot of dirty, dusty crap ... old dishes, broken stuff, worn out mops, rusty hand tools, shovels, rakes, brooms, boxes of old clothes, magazines and newspapers ... like I said ... CRAP! People would peek in there and keep on walking. Well, my buddy and I climbed in there and started getting dirty (we'd already picked through the house). After about 30 minutes of sweating and digging through what was mostly trash, I found a large plastic tote buried under a pile of junk. I finally moved enough stuff out of the way to drag it out far enough to peek under the lid. I pried the lid up a bit and BINGO! I couldn't believe my eyes! It was a tote full of Ja-de-it-e coffee cups! (you can remove the hyphens, I just don't want people Googling this post) Nothing special ... just the cheap crap every coffee shop in the world used a few years back. BUT ... these days, the stuff is highly collectible! I dragged the tote out into the sunlight and started counting. FIFTY-EIGHT of 'em! Did I say BINGO?? Then it hit me ... problem! We were at a sale of one of the people who is usually pretty high-priced. We know him well enough he'll usually be pretty fair with us, but he's still generally high AND can be a bit of a prick at times ... especially if you try to grind on him for a lower price. I asked what he'd take for 'em and he said I could have 'em all for $100. I flinched a bit and started digging through the boxes to see persactly what I had and what condition they were in. He then said, "NO! If I want to cherry-pick the sumbitches, the price is $150!!" (I told ya' he can be a prick!) Crap! I gambled and shelled out a hunnert dollar bill, then loaded 'em in my truck. I just got around to listing them a few days ago and since I have so many, and need to move them fast (I don't like to keep my cash tied up), I have them listed at only $23.50 each. I'm on 15 watch lists already (people who are interested and watching my listing while they decide what to do) and I just sold my 11th cup a few minutes ago! So, I've already more than doubled my investment! Somebody in Japan bought 4 of 'em yesterday and somebody else bought 6 of 'em a couple days ago! Not a bad start, only 47 to go! ;)

This ain't all of 'em, I have a pile in my office within easy reach for shipping, and will replace them from this pile as I go. If you see any of this stuff layin' around ... pick it up for me. The going rate on coffee cups these days is about a dime ... I'll give ya' 15-cents! :D

DeputyDog
08-22-2016, 09:10 AM
That restaurant/diner you posted about a week or so ago probably had a couple hundred of them.

Thumper
08-22-2016, 09:34 AM
Ha ha! Naaa! Trust me ... I scanned the pics with a fine toothed comb. It was a more modern place that didn't make it. Just generic restaurant type dishes. The stuff I'm talkin' about was made from the early 40's to the mid to late 70's. The particular cups I have were manufactured from 1951-1960.

Also, if you're ever scrounging around your local thrift store and run across any of these, here's a short tutorial (I won't bore you on how to date them, there are 8 different versions depending of mfg. date). But, the ones I posted above are the "D" handled version. The "C" handled version is a bit more desirable.

As an example, the cups on the left just sold a few days ago for $155 (some go higher, I just went to the most recent sale). Notice these are "C" handles. The cups on the right are the ones I have, they have the "D" handle and I'm selling them for $100. (they're all the same color, just different lighting when the pics were taken)

7591 7592

BarryBobPosthole
08-22-2016, 09:44 AM
I like the old white china cups. That green puts me off my feed.

BKB

Thumper
08-22-2016, 09:50 AM
Well, you're in luck. There were a few whites mixed in with these ... I have this set for sale as we speak. I will separate them for you if you'd like. ;)

7593 7595

Thumper
08-22-2016, 09:53 AM
I also have a few rare colors that were in the pile and used them to put this set together. If you like variety and want to switch off every couple of days, I can set you up with this rare set. Otherwise, you're stuck with the green. I accept PayPal. :D

Edit: SOLD!!! (sorry, you waited too long)

BarryBobPosthole
08-22-2016, 09:59 AM
My wife just brought home not one but two sets of dishes (both sets are identical).

I took that as an ill omen.

I don't like people that much. Especially not eight of them at once.

BKB

Thumper
08-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Ha Ha! Well, you'll hate me now. I'll have to withdraw my last offer of those 4 different colored cups. They just sold to another Japanese buyer. Dang, I think I've stumbled on a popular market for these things! Cha-Ching! Ring up another C-note to spend on the cruise! ;)

This is a lesson on how to turn a $100 investment into $1500 in a matter of days! ;)

Big Muddy
08-22-2016, 10:33 AM
Quote: """This is a lesson on how to turn a $100 investment into $1500 in a matter of days!"""

HA....I can teach you how to turn a $2,000,000 investment into $0 in less than a day....just try farming-----with a flood or a drought at a critical time. ;)

I like your way better....you da man !!!

BarryBobPosthole
08-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Trump University promised the same thing!

BKB

Thumper
08-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Watch and learn grasshopper. ;)

(15 sold so far)

Thumper
08-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Well cool! I just finished categorizing all these cups and found that many of them are from the mid to late 40's! I can jack my prices up a bit on those! :D

Thumper
08-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Four more in the mail! Again, a Japanese buyer. They're going crazy over these cups! I think I've found a niche. I wish I had a bazillion of these things. :(

BarryBobPosthole
08-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Would make a decent shaving cup"

BkB

Thumper
08-22-2016, 10:55 PM
Oh, you want a shaving cup? I have a tall one and a short one. What's your pleasure? (I also have 6-8 brushes to choose from AND I can set you up with a razor .... or 50!)

Tall ...

7600 7601

And here's the short one ...

7602 7603

Chicken Dinner
08-23-2016, 05:55 AM
Ha! Posthole wanting/using a razor. That's a good one.

DeputyDog
08-23-2016, 07:28 AM
He never said he wanted it for his face.

Thumper
08-23-2016, 08:08 AM
He shaves his chest. ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-23-2016, 08:56 AM
That's a mental image I can do without!

He never said he wanted it for his face.

Thumper
08-23-2016, 09:04 AM
Yeah CD, I tried to avoid thinking about the alternative. :hair

BarryBobPosthole
08-23-2016, 09:17 AM
So Thumper post a gozillin posts about some snot green coffee cups and gets a pass and I make ONE post about a shaving cup and get hammered.

I see how it is round here. I'm gonna get a complex.

BKB

Thumper
08-23-2016, 09:22 AM
Typical Good Hunting. A post about vintage coffee cups somehow turns into a thread about P-hole trying to go full-Brazilian! ;)

https://theclam.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/full-brazilian-wax.jpg?w=676

Thumper
08-23-2016, 11:35 AM
WTF??? Last night I matched up 5 sets of cups and listed 3 sets (of 4). ANOTHER Japanese buyer just bought all three sets! Dang! I should have listed all five! These things are flying off the shelf .... ALL headed for Japan! The last four sales (6 sets) have been to Japan. As soon as I make a new listing ... CHA-CHING! It's sold! Do you ever get the feeling someone is watching you? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Maybe hey're made of dragonglass.

And you just sold the only thing that could save us from the White Walkers.
BKB

Thumper
08-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Man-o-man, I have no clue! I thought I'd be sitting on these things for a while but I can't get them listed fast enough!

Maybe I should start listing the rest of them at $500 apiece and see what happens! ;)

LJ3
08-23-2016, 01:03 PM
You should have done that after the first set was snapped up as quickly as it was. Jack that shit at least 100%!

I think you need a manager because you clearly do not understand supply & demand!

Thumper
08-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Well. I'm ahead of ya' Ticboy ... the supply is there. As of right now, doing an eBay search for these things, I see 138 listings. That is ... 138 competitors! But, I don't pay a bit of attention to those dudes. They're priced all over the map ... some will make sales, some will sit on their product forever without a nibble. I go to the SOLD side of eBay and see what people are actually paying for the stuff, then figure a competitive, but attractive price. I don't like to keep my cash tied up by sitting on inventory. I'm like Wally World, I ask a decent price and go for the volume. I'm still competitive, but I might be a nickle under the next guy and take the sale from him/her. If someone is looking to buy and they find the same exact product, one listed at $50.00 and the other at $49.99 ... the $49.99 (ME) gets the sale! :D

Then I take my newly earned cash, put some aside for Lynn's IRA, put some into the vacation/playtime fund ... then the rest goes back out for new inventory. There's a method to my madness. LD

LJ3
08-23-2016, 03:38 PM
What about weed money? Who's handling that for you? BBP?

airbud7
08-23-2016, 03:47 PM
He grows his own.

Thumper
08-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Hey, I lived in Thailand for 4 years. They taught me how to farm. ;)