PDA

View Full Version : I'm honestly confused

Buckrub
12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I admit, I have paid little attention to the details of this stupidly-named "Fiscal Cliff" thing. So my comments are probably laced with ignorance. But they are serious.

First, I hate the name. I can't see anything that will cause a CLIFF to be fallen off of. Drama to the max. For what purpose?

Second, it seems the cast of characters is confused here. The "Cliff" will raise taxes automatically. Right??? Well, aren't the Democrats always wanting that so they can increase spending? If so, why are they aghast that the "Cliff" is about to occur?? Shouldn't they be out happy-singing "Look what great things are about to happen"????? I mean, we ain't gonna solve sixteen TRILLION in debt without taxes rising, are we? So what's the problem?

Third, isn't it the Democrats, but actually everyone, that says that SS is a mess, and going broke? If so, why did Obama lower the SS withholding tax rate, and why would he now want to keep that lower rate? Isn't one of the proposed 'fixes' to raise the rate even higher?

Fourth, why did Obama appoint Simpson and Bowles only to ignore them 100%?

What am I missing, other than my mind?

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Simpson and Bowles have been universally ignored but they have the best plan of any of them, IMO.

I don't understand this defense bill the House just passed either, that gives the Pentagon more money than they even wanted or asked for. To the tune of 31 billion or so. And yet, the same people who bitch about spending pass this? Its totally upside down right now. There ain't no sense to be made of any of it.

BKB

Ps...here's a link to some good info on SB, and pretty much sums up how its been ignored by both sides.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2012/oct/11/barack-obama/obama-says-his-plan-made-some-adjustments-simpson-/

Buckrub
12-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Well, you're no help. :indecisiveness: