PDA

View Full Version : Buying an AR-15, advice needed...

Nandy
08-25-2016, 09:19 PM
After so many years I think I am going to pull the trigger and finally get me an AR... Not getting any younger and I think I deserve a few more toys.....

Anyway, I will mainly use it to shoot the breeze and some paper. I am a fan of accuracy but I am no millionaire. Looking to hear what you guys have to say. I am inclined to piston driven rather than blowback, it does not have to be a colt and i dont necessarily have to buy the whole thing, I dont mind buying the upper and lower separate. I will likely customize some of it later on but for now the important part is to be decent in accuracy, be able to put a scope on it and I might be applying for a suppressor soon so the ability to put one out of the box on them will be great.

What are y'all experiences? Do, dont, like, hate?

Thanks!

Captain
08-25-2016, 09:26 PM
The most popular we sell is the DPMS, the Smith and Wesson M&P, and the Ruger.
I personally own a M&P and it is a tack-driver right out the box. I also have a SigM400 but I've never put a bullet in it....

Thumper
08-25-2016, 10:42 PM
First a new Tundra Limited and now an AR? Did you just win the lottery?

Nandy
08-25-2016, 10:53 PM
Nah, just got a few of my duckies in the row....

jb
08-26-2016, 08:10 AM
I have a Colt HBAR, (heavy barrel) it's made for accuracy. installed a few little goodies to make it better, trigger springs, left hand grip, and scope mount.
Does more than I need, but I know it's there if needed.
My son's police agency (State wide organization) just fitted all their troopers with Sig M4, standard blow back for the 223, but gas for their 308's (got one of each)
There are so many AR mf'g out there now, and most of them put out a very good product, go with a well know brand and you really can't go wrong.

Chicken Dinner
08-26-2016, 09:02 AM
I've done some plinking with a DPMS Oracle which is an entry level AR. It's always gone bang when you pull the trigger and my friend who bought it really likes it. The one thing he'd change is that the gas block is actually lower than rail. Not an issue if you were going to put a scope on it, but takes some tinkering if you want to use flip up tactical sights.

DeputyDog
08-26-2016, 02:53 PM
I was recently issued a Colt M4 with the rail and flip up sight. One slight sight adjustment out of the box and it puts them right where they need to be.

It was a bit of an adjustment since it replaced a full sized M-16.

Nandy
08-28-2016, 07:45 PM
thanks guys!!!

Nandy
10-03-2016, 09:17 PM
ended up with an Eagle Arms Eagle-15. Im sure the upper will be upgraded in the next year, not sure if I am going to get that trigger a bit smooth, I kind of like how it feels, maybe I play with it. I have no idea what is the weight on it right now. Im not looking to have it under 3 lbs as it is... we shall see...
If I get out of work on time tonight I might set everything up and head to a rifle range tomorrow but it is looking dicey...
I consider the most expensive models but ended up realizing I am going to upgrade the upper anyway, no matter what I got so i just got me a basic one and go up from there...

Thanks everyone!