PDA

View Full Version : Reloading

Trav
08-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Yesterday when I bought the guns I also bought a RCBS Rock Chucker reloading kit new in the box. I don't know anything about reloading but for $75 it seemed like a worthwhile investment. Since factory ammo has come so far is it really worth messing with or should I just sell it and make a few bucks? If I do keep it I plan on buying dies for my .257 & .300 Whby mags because they are pretty spendy. Are there any must haves that don't come in the kit I should buy. Below is a description of the kit.

The RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press is designed to last a lifetime. The Rock Chucker Supreme Press features easy operation, ambidextrous handle, outstanding strength and versatility. The Rock Chucker Supreme is packed full of useful features that every reloader will find handy.

Technical Information

Press Type: Single Stage
Frame Material: Cast Iron
Frame Design: O-Frame
Frame Offset:
Frame Opening Size:
Handle Location: Bottom Right or Left hand
Die Size Accepted: Standard 7/8"-14 threaded dies and 1-1/4"-12 dies with bushing removed
Die Bushing Accepted: Yes
Die Bushing Brand Used: RCBS
Spent Primer Collection System: Yes
Ram Stroke: 4"
Ram Diameter:
Priming Feature: Priming Arm, will also accept RCBS Ram Priming Unit (sold separately)
Number of Mounting Holes: 2
Mounting Hardware Included: No
Additional Features:
Warranty: Lifetime warranty for home reloaders, warranty does not cover equipment used for commercial purposes
Master Kit Includes:

Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage press
M500 scale
Uniflow Powder Measure
Nosler Reloading Manual
Hand priming tool with small and large primer plugs
Folding Hex Key Set with 0.050", 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8", 9/64" and 5/32" keys
Universal Case Loading Block, which holds 40 cases in most rifle and pistol calibers
Case Lube Kit, which includes a 2 oz bottle of Case Lube-2, a case lube pad, 2 case neck brushes for .22 through .30 calibers and an accessory handle
Powder Funnel for .22 to .45 caliber, including the Winchester Short Magnum calibers
Chamfer and deburring tool for .17 through .60 caliber

Thumper
08-27-2016, 08:42 PM
I've never really thought re-loading was worth the hassle. Now in Bubba's case, he blows up elebenty-bazillion cases of ammo trying to hit birds that are totally inedible, so I could understand him recycling 12 ga. hulls. For the serious "paper shooter" ... ok, maybe. It's more or less a hobby in that case. Then, in the case of Big Sky knocking down a prairie dog at 37.5 miles, again ... understandable.

Me personally? I only hunted big game (or birds occasionally). If I have to spend a gazillion hours reloading and dragging different loads to the range to settle on the best one so I can place 5 shots in a hole the size of a dime, when the factory ammo I bought on sale at Wally World will do the same with a hole the size of a silver dollar, it's a no-brainer for me. Maybe 'cause I'm lazy, but mostly because I simply never had the interest.

I will say, years ago, Cappy gave me some .25-06 hand loads that were absolute tack drivers out of my Ruger ... but I never planned on taking humming birds with head shots at 100 yards, so I mostly used 'em to punch holes in paper.

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2016, 08:45 PM
I reloaded back in the Golden Age of duck hunting (the early 70s), but never on any scale. When steel shot hit, my reloading days were over.

BKB

Bwana
08-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Hmmm...you are a lucky SOB, aren't you.

That was a good deal and a mighty fine reloader to have.

johnboy
08-29-2016, 06:37 PM
I used a Rock Chucker for years to reload .45ACP and .45LC and thought it was a great press. Gave it to my son when we moved 10 years ago and he is still using it without a hiccup. Last 2 lifetimes!

jb
08-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Great press, it should last you a life time and give you some fun times.
Use only data from reloading books, stay away from mixing and matching to start with, aim for the mid range of energy and forget about the hipper stuff for now
I reload for fun as much as for saving a buck or two.
My shotgun reloading is my biggest interest and I have two MEC 9000's, one set up for 1 ox loads and the other for 1 1/8" oz, I'll do 3 or 4 thousand reloads each year.
I also have an Orange Crush for my rifles, I have a few odd calibers that I need reloads for because I can't find factory stuff for them or the factory stuff costs to much.
those two calivers are 358 Winchester,and a wild cat 338/08,
I have a Dillon 550B for my 45ACP, 45 Colts, 44-40, 38-40, and 44 Special.
Reloading is a hobby, enjoy it.

Trav
08-29-2016, 10:25 PM
So I have noticed that each of bullet manufactures has their own manual. Do I need to buy a manual for each bullet type I plan to load? As an example my AR15 I shoot Hornady V-max bullets from and my weatherby's I shoot Barnes TSX. Do I need to buy both manuals? I ask because my kit came with a Speer manual but I don't shoot any Speer bullets.

jb
08-30-2016, 08:20 AM
I bought manuals for my favorite bullets, Speer, Nosler and Hornady, but I find getting manuals from the powder companies work well also. They list many different bullets and different speeds using their powder.
I like Alliant Powder's guide.

BarryBobPosthole
08-30-2016, 08:30 AM
https://youtu.be/iWtohHwNXoU

Booger
08-30-2016, 08:41 AM
I bought a Rock Chucker kit from someone on this site years ago. I started loading .308 then included .223 for my AR. I have had buds buy dies and I've reloaded some 30.06, .270, and 7mm08. Reason I liked it was I could tinker and find the bullet and load for my 700 rem .308 that would shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards you could cover with a dime!! When Hornandy came out with superformance SST ammo they shoot almost as good and deer really don't give a shit if you hit them in the center of this rib or on the left edge of the rib.....So now all that stuff is in the closet.

Flatlander
08-30-2016, 11:40 PM
Trav,
Have reloaded rifle for years. Federal and Remington both used to put out a little booklet on what their shells were loaded too. It will give you an idea about what you are looking for. Powders and primers are vary. I have some rifles like just seem too like different powders. One likes H 4064 and the other likes W 748 both in the same caliber. You get to spend some time at the range but have fun. Worked up a 30-30 load that put 150 grain in an inch. Great hobby and interesting results. DO NOT EXCEED MAX. LOADS THAT FOR A BULLET!!!!