PDA

View Full Version : Welp.. wish me luck..

HideHunter
09-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Tomorrow morning, for the first time in 57 years (I was 8 when I shot my first), I'm hoping to kill "at least one squirrel". Had to have a cataract removed from the eye that had the retinal detachment. Pretty standard procedure after that surgery. As I can now see "some" out of the right eye - I'm going to attempt to shoot right-handed. I have some scar tissue where the retina was reattached and it distorts my vision. Crosshairs are blurred, but the center still appears to be the "center". I just busted a half-dozen little crab-apples at 15 to 40 yards. Part of the time I was "guessing" where the crosshairs were. Now, in the early light, shadows and leaves - who knows? I think I'll need a really cooperative squirrel.. maybe even one with a death wish. :)

The anthropologist Margaret Mead (based on her studies of primitive tribes in New Guinea) once wrote: "Man is happiest when he is setting off on a hunt". Been a while since I approached one with such trepidation. ;)

Captain
09-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Take a 12 gauge. Lol!
Good luck....

HideHunter
09-02-2016, 03:40 PM
I don't eat big bass, road hunt, drink cheap whiskey, shoot ducks on the water, rape babies or... shoot squirrels with a shotgun. ;)

DeputyDog
09-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Good luck to ya. I need to get out and shoot some too. Finally cooling down in the mornings so it won't be so bad to get into the woods.

BarryBobPosthole
09-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Welp! Good luck! But in September I'd worry more about making sure I could see to get all the warbles out of them when I cleaned them than hitting them! A tad early for eating vermin around these parts.

Good luck though!

BKB

Captain
09-02-2016, 04:58 PM
I don't eat big bass, road hunt, drink cheap whiskey, shoot ducks on the water, rape babies or... shoot squirrels with a shotgun. ;)

I'd be OK with most of those except I'd never drink cheap whiskey either.

HideHunter
09-02-2016, 05:22 PM
lol.. well we're close then Cap'n.. ;) We don't have "wolves" here, Postie. I've seen one in my life and that was on a dog. I've heard cows get them occasionally..

HideHunter
09-03-2016, 03:51 PM
Welp... It went *much* better than I had dared hope for. I actually thought I might be done, at least on early season squirrels. I can't see worth a shit, but instinct and experience must count for something. ;) a limit.. all head shot.. Been years (decades) since I've been this tickled to kill a limit of squirrels. :)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8570/29144044860_4f97b20e41_z.jpg

DeputyDog
09-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Glad to see you've still got it.

Hombre
09-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Awesome. Glad it worked out to be a great time

Captain
09-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Tell the truth, you shot them with a shotgun and took the rifle for a picture... ;) Congrats on a good hunt. Glad the tradition continues.

Big Skyz
09-04-2016, 10:24 PM
Glad that it worked out in your favor and not the squirrels. I think they just fell over dead when they saw that AWESOME 22 of yours.

Big Muddy
09-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Dang nice job, Hide....Squirrel and dumplin's ??? ;)

LJ3
09-05-2016, 01:25 PM
That right there is a happy ending! Not the top of the list of possible happy endings in a mans life but a strong #2 happy ending nonetheless.

HideHunter
09-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys.. Got out a killed a couple before the wind came up this morning right at daylight.. I have a neighbor who used to love to hunt squirrels. He's had some health issues and I've been taking him squirrels and fish for a couple years. Dad ran into his wife today and she says he's failing but thought he'd still enjoy a mess of squirrels. Consider it done.

Eddie, I'll do the "dumpling" thing with my older squirrels but can't beat Dutch Oven, fried brown and steamed.. Possibly the best gravy known to man. ;)

Big Muddy
09-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Well, heck, that sounds like good eats, too. ;)

Fido
09-06-2016, 08:52 AM
A good recipe that works for just about any wild game is tooo dust the meat that has been quartered with flour, brown lightly in bacon grease, put meat in a dutch oven, add enough cream of mushroom soup tooo cover,simmer 45 minutes, add 1 can of tomato soup continue tooo simmer for 15minutes. This works for squirrel, rabbit, and turtle.

Bwana
09-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Good shooting HH!

Chicken Dinner
09-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Man, I need to get out and shoot something! I went to the range this past weekend. But, punching paper just isn't the same.