PDA

View Full Version : Dog question

DeputyDog
09-05-2016, 01:58 PM
I may be in the market for another Lab. The kids have really been bugging me about getting a pup and the wife may be coming around to the idea. The male that we have now will be 9 next month so it's been awhile since I've looked.

What it the going price for lab pups these days? I'm not talking about anything from a championship bloodline or anything like that, just the run of the mill pup. I've got a line on one but the price is a bit more than I was thinking. But again it's been a long time since I bought one and I got him for next to nothing since he was the last one left in the litter and he was about 16 weeks old at the time and they just wanted to get rid of him.

Big Muddy
09-05-2016, 03:23 PM
If you're just looking for a pup, as a family friend, watchdog, and kid's companion, may I suggest a visit to your local pound....the best two pups we've ever had for those purposes, came from our local pound....paid $75 each for them, which included neutering and all shots....we've still got one of them....she looks just like a little red fox, and is now 12 years old....best snake-killing, rat-killing, cat-chasing watchdog you ever saw. ;)

Take your kids with you, and I promise, ya'll will leave happy, and with the perfect pup. :)

BarryBobPosthole
09-05-2016, 03:41 PM
You must be tired of your furniture then.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
09-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Nah, I was teasing Deputy. If you've been around a lab puppy, you know what Ii mean. And considering the pics I've seen of his kids, there's no way this pup will be put outside.

BKB

Bwana
09-06-2016, 09:03 AM
FWIW, the pup we got this spring was a 1/2 lab-1/2 golden retriever and she cost us $300.

Chicken Dinner
09-06-2016, 09:35 AM
I paid something like $600 for my Brit which was pretty cheap for a pure bread dog with a good hunting pedigree.

Trav
09-06-2016, 06:21 PM
I paid $2000 for Grendel but Neopalitan Mastiffs don't come cheap. I will say generally speaking there is a lot to be said for buying from a reputable breeder and you will save money on vet bills in the long run.

DeputyDog
09-07-2016, 05:12 PM
The one that I found is priced at $600. I haven't ever pod more than $350 for one before but that was 18 years ago. That lab lived to be 13 and died 5 years ago. I just thought that $600 was a bit much for a normal papered lab with a bunch of championship titles in its bloodline.

I've had enough labs that I know what I'd be getting into and I've been lucky that none of them have been much of a chewer. The kids would definitely keep it busy so it wouldn't have a lot of extra energy to use up on the furniture and other things.

Bwana
09-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Best of luck to you DD. Nothing cuter than a pup, but in my all-to-recent experience they are much like having a young kid.