PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

BarryBobPosthole
09-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Before me and Renaldo got close this summer, I'd made it a mission this year to try to learn more about a lake, a reservoir called Oologah that is literally in my back yard and is a pretty dynamite fishery. The lake has several negatives that have always given me handy excuses to not explore it, but that was a mistake. Birddog and I visited a couple times at a place called Blue Creek and found some crappie on brushpiles and caught one large bass. The state stocks about 100,000 walleye fingerlings every year and there is a reproducing walleye population there as well. So my other mission is to figure out how to fish for Oklahoma walleye. I've fished for them since 1988, for almost thirty years, in Alberta, Ontario, Minnesota, Missouri, and Iowa but never in my own home state.
Yesterday, my son Chris and I did a reccy run as a prelude to a night troll we're going to do in two weeks during thr full moon. We found some good trolling runs, located a lot of structure and baitfish, saw some huge fish arcs that we hope are walleye, and only turned a crappie and a sandbass. Once we felt solid on where we'll night troll, we hit the banks for a little bass fishng. And that's when I caught my first Okie walleye, an 18" eater that's in Chris's fridge as we speak. Caught him on a 5" chart Kalin grub on a 1/4 oz bullet jig head. I won't forget the details soon!

The day was awesome, 81 for a high, a light walleye chop, and brilliant blue skies. Not exactly the time of day you go for catching white tips, but we were there just to lay down some tracks for night fishing later.

BKB

johnboy
09-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Find some structure and run a bottom bouncer/spinner rig along the edges. Depth is where ever the fish are. Have fun! I sure do miss walleye fishing.