PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap

BarryBobPosthole
09-13-2016, 07:54 AM
1955 is my favorite car AND pickup year for Chevy. There was an old Chevy NAPCO '55 sitting beside the road for sale on a farm near Claremore for almost a year. I used to drool over it every time I went by.
BKB

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/09/12/legacy-classic-trucks-returns-with-150s-chevy-napco-4x4/

Cards01
09-13-2016, 08:48 AM
that is a sweet looking pickup.... but my goodness is it pricey

Big Skyz
09-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Coolest truck ever, but at over $130,000.00 starting price I'll never touch one.

Thumper
09-13-2016, 10:36 AM
1955 is my favorite car AND pickup year for Chevy

Wow! We're pretty much in agreement there! When it comes to cars, of the Chevy tri-5's, my favorite is also the '55. But, the '55 is actually my SECOND favorite truck and my dream, since I was a young kid, has been to own a '47 - '54 Chevy/GMC pick-up (5-window). I don't totally understand it, but as a young kid, the first time I laid eyes on those quarter windows, I fell in love! Unfortunately, my dad happened to be a Ford fan at the time and drove an F100. :(

Here's a '47, followed by a '54 ...

7747 7748

Big Skyz
09-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Thump and BBP this is just something I can't agree with. While those old 55's are cool the NAPCO is one tough looking truck. The 47 and 54 you posted look like a turtle in comparison.
http://www.cheatsheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/13615135_1198392263536626_6654888961414077851_n.jp g?493791

Chicken Dinner
09-13-2016, 10:50 AM
I've got to go with BS on this one. That NAPCO is one good looking ride and at $135k I'll never touch one.

BarryBobPosthole
09-13-2016, 10:51 AM
My grandpa on my step-dad's side was a 'turn-key' carpenter, as he called himself. He built houses and did or supervised personally all of the work from the pier foundation up. He drove a '51 Chevy truck that I pretty much learned to drive on. Had a floor starter a six banger that ran forever, and a four speed on the floor with a granny gear. We've stacked hay on old Judy, his name for it and the name of my current pickup, until the front end walked back and forth down the road. He painted it light green with a brush and roller, but Judy also did a lot of double duty as a scaffold platform so it was splattered with many colors of paint. When he got a newer truck, he kept old Judy and my uncle (just three years older than me) and I inherited it to drive around the farm. I loved that old truck. Our mailbox was on the county road a half mile away from the house so I was always eager to have the chance to drive to the mailbox to get the mail.
So, yep, we like the same pickup years!

BKb

quercus alba
09-13-2016, 10:52 AM
I guess I'm the only guy here that thinks all those old cars and trucks are ugly. I don't now or have I ever wanted one regardless of condition or price. Although some of the newer models are real ugly too

Thumper
09-13-2016, 10:53 AM
There was an old Chevy NAPCO '55 sitting beside the road for sale on a farm near Claremore for almost a year. I used to drool over it every time I went by. BKB

During my short stint playing truck driver, my head was always on a pivot as I traveled the back roads "out west". Car's stay well preserved in that desert environment and I was always searching. I know where an old 5-window ('53 I think) pick-up is sitting at the back of a little, podunk used car lot in the small town of Gatesville, Texas. I asked the old fella there if it was for sale and he told me he was going to restore it. It'll never happen as I understand the thing has been sitting there for like 20+ years and he looked to be about 90 years old when I was last there! I still dream of owning that truck. It is ALL original, all the parts are there and after going over every square inch of that truck, I don't think it's missing even ONE original piece. Dang, I'm sitting here getting excited just talking about that truck. It even has it's original paint and a very faded sign painted on the door from some lumber company in Oregon.

BarryBobPosthole
09-13-2016, 10:54 AM
QA, have you had your eyes checked lately? They might have some poop in them!

BKB

Thumper
09-13-2016, 11:02 AM
B/S, I totally agree with your "turtle" comparison ... to a point. The pics I posted were simply pointing out the quarter windows I became infatuated with as a kid. I'm not a fan of "lowered" trucks and also prefer the "lifted 4X4 look". I'd love to have a lifted and tricked out '54, but I don't have $135,000 to do it. I also agree the '55 is tougher, meaner and more modern looking, but the '47-'54 ownership fantasy has been mine since early childhood. It's odd how certain things were planted in my mind as a young kid. The reason I've always liked the '55 Chevy over the '56-'57, is I can remember seeing the '55's as a kid and ... not unlike the quarter windows on the '47-'54 trucks, I formed an instant attraction to the "egg crate" grille on the '55. During the 50's and early 60's, I spent almost every Sunday at the drag strip and I can still remember drooling over a certain '55 Chevy Gasser. My dad was running a '57 Ford (supercharged 312) at the time, but I always made my way over to the pit area where that gasser was parked ... just to admire it. It looked much like this one:

quercus alba
09-13-2016, 11:26 AM
It's not the eyes posthole, I'm just one weird individual