PDA

View Full Version : Fresh as you can get....Bee Honey....

Big Muddy
09-19-2016, 09:53 AM
Driving thru town a bit ago, I saw two guys in bee suits, removing the boards from a huge column off the front porch of one of the older homes at our local community college....I stopped at a distance, and watched them for a while, as they removed a honey bee hive from the inside of the column.

After they finished, one of the guys walked over to my truck, and we started talking....I mentioned that, in my younger days, us kids would rob bee hives, and would sit around chewing on the sweet waxy honeycombs....I must have looked malnourished to him;), so he went over and retrieved a slab of honeycomb, and brought it over to me.

It was about the size of a big skillet....I thanked him, and headed straight home....I squeezed out every drop of the honey, into a dish, then strained it thru a fine-screened paint filter....it yielded nearly 2 cups of beautiful clear honey.

I couldn't help myself, so I threw 2 biscuits in the oven, then lathered them with butter and that fresh sweet honey....it was 10 times sweeter and tastier than the store-bought stuff.

And, I've still got the honeycomb wax to chew on, later....it's full of pollen and even some little bee larvae....that's about as healthy and natural nourishment that there is !!!

My Dad ate about 1/2 cup of fresh honey, each day for as long as I can remember, and he lived to be 92 years old, so it must be good for you. ;)

LJ3
09-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Yum!

HideHunter
09-19-2016, 12:00 PM
xellent.. guy put a hive on me last year but didn't harvest any honey. I got some from him that came from a neighbor's property. This year he has three out there on me. Local, raw honey is exceptional.

DeputyDog
09-19-2016, 12:30 PM
We buy local raw honey too. Both of my kids have allergies and I've been told by some of the people I know who are into the homeopathic remedies that a couple tablespoons of raw honey every day will help with environmental seasonal allergies.

Don't know if it's true or not but the kids like the honey so what will it hurt?

Thumper
09-19-2016, 12:56 PM
I buy the local Tupelo honey down here when it's in season (it's very limited and sells out fast). There's an old guy that's sold his from a roadside stand for about a bazillion years and I always get it from him. I'm not diabetic, but he is and it's the only thing he uses for sweetener as I believe it's the only honey that is ok for diabetics. As a plus, if you don't use it right away, it won't crystallize the way regular honey will. Good stuff Maynard!

Big Muddy
09-19-2016, 01:10 PM
I posted this bee video on here, a while back....now, these folks like their bees....smashed, halved, or whole !!! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WF4qbOhxj4