PDA

View Full Version : Global warming?

johnboy
09-21-2016, 01:39 PM
For the first time ever, since I planted it 10 years ago, my fig trees second crop is ripening. I'm happy but amazed as we usually only get the breba crop to ripen this far north and the second crop goes to waste. Looks like a big pot of fig chutney coming up. :toothy

BarryBobPosthole
09-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Global warming is nothing but a conspiracy dreamed up by the world's top climate scientists to further China's plan to become the world economic empire.

And to persecute coal miners of course.

Oh and the farm wevisited this past weekend have started growing figs. I had no idea they could be grown in our zone but they can.

BKb

Captain
09-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Fig preserves..... OMG that is some good stuff!

quercus alba
09-21-2016, 02:08 PM
I've heard the word breba maybe three times in my life. I thought I was special knowing that and here you're tossing it around like yesterday's newspaper.

BarryBobPosthole
09-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Educate my ignorant self. What is a breba?

BKB

quercus alba
09-21-2016, 02:31 PM
A breba (or more commonly breva in Spanish) is a common fig that develops in the spring on the previous year's shoot growth.[1] In contrast, the main fig crop develops on the current year's shoot growth and ripens in late summer or fall. Breba figs of certain varieties don’t always develop the rich flavor that the main crop has. Growers of those varieties frequently discard the brebas before they ripen to encourage growth of the main crop because the main crop is generally superior in both quantity and quality to the breba crop

johnboy
09-21-2016, 02:44 PM
What he said except at the northern limit of fig tree growing (here), the breba crop is the only one that has enough time to ripen fully (usually in Aug up here) before the end of the growing season. Maybe our season is getting longer? What's next? Pineapples?

Captain
09-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Bananas. ;)

johnboy
09-21-2016, 04:23 PM
Funny story about bananas - went on a charter fishin trup with a couple other guys last July out of Port Hardy. Anyway, we were standing around the dock waiting for the guide to get organized when he says "I trust that no one has any yellow,oblong fruit in their bag."

I knew exactly what he meant - no bananas on the boat! Big bad luck!

So were fishing away, having a great tine when he looks over the side to see a banana peel floating by. Yowza, not happy. One of my buds had just dropped it over and had no clue what the kerfuffle was about.

Funniest part was the other guy also had one but was too embarassed to bring it out.

Might be something to to it though. I had no yellow, oblong fruit with me and caught the biggest fish.

BarryBobPosthole
09-21-2016, 04:47 PM
Good to know!

BKB

Captain
09-21-2016, 05:18 PM
Bananas on a boat are A big NO-NO
Especially on an offshore boat

LJ3
09-21-2016, 07:05 PM
That's some serious shit out on the bay!

Nandy
09-21-2016, 08:57 PM
I guess the Africans and Caribbean banana republics ships their cargo in an airplane??? lol!

Captain
09-22-2016, 04:23 AM
It's hard to put a crew together for a Banana boat.

DeputyDog
09-22-2016, 06:46 AM
Ok, I have to ask. Having lived inland my entire life I had never heard that before.

What is the story behind bananas on a boat?

Arty
09-22-2016, 07:10 AM
Ddog. They is bad luck! A banana on a boat will ensure no fish are caught, AND you might break down out on the water!

Captain
09-22-2016, 07:38 AM
http://miamifishing.com/bananas-and-fishing-boats

Thumper
09-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Yeppers, signs like this are common on fishing boats around here. Silly? Sure, but it's the same for any superstition IMHO.

http://zahaczeni.net/hlehleblog/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2014/04/noBananas.jpg

Deppity, you're a bit younger and the F1 crowd went to company sponsorship a while before the NASCAR types did, so you may not remember this. I'm sure the old fart racers like Fido will remember this as it had been around since the early 1900's. As I grew up around the racing crowd, it was a "sin" to even wear green in the pits and having a green car ... well, it simply didn't happen. If anyone showed up with a green race car, I seriously doubt it would have been allowed into the pits! Bottom line, green was a no-no when it came to race cars!

Once big-money sponsorship became mainstream around the 70's - 80's, the superstition pretty much had to be dumped. It would be hard to drive a Mountain Dew or Interstate Batteries car, for example, without any green on it!

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2016, 08:34 AM
So I guess its okay if I wear my banana hammock on board then?

BKb

Thumper
09-22-2016, 08:52 AM
So I guess its okay if I wear my banana hammock on board then? BKb

Awwwww Maaaan! Thanks a lot for nothing. Lynn's almost finished fixin' breakfast and the mental image of you and your "hammock" kinda ruined my appetite! :(

DeputyDog
09-22-2016, 08:59 AM
I knew all about green being bad luck in racing and was very frowned upon. It kind of went away in Indy car after Jim Clark won the 500 in 1965 driving a Lotus that was painted BRG (British Racing Green).

I don't know if it was in all of racing it just Indy car but peanuts weren't allowed in the pits because that was bad luck too.

quercus alba
09-22-2016, 09:01 AM
I have no problem with a man wearing a banana sling provided it's in the privacy of his closet, with the light off, and he doesn't talk about it. And absolutely no selfies posted on the Internet, or in a text, or on Twitter, or his blog. In fact the less said about banana slings the better. Especially before breakfast.

Thumper
09-22-2016, 09:14 AM
I don't know if it was in all of racing it just Indy car but peanuts weren't allowed in the pits because that was bad luck too.

Yessir, that's another one ... BUT, as a clarification ... it was peanuts IN THE SHELL. ;)

There was another one also, $50 bills were bad luck and if you had one, you had to break it down to smaller bills before entering the pits.

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Here's one of Cappy filling his pool.

BKB7776

Big Muddy
09-22-2016, 09:34 AM
Thump, my Dad had a phobia about $50 bills....whenever he "had" to accept one, he would never put it in the wallet....he would crunch it up, put it in his back pocket, then immediately find someplace to break it down....he said $50 bills were bad luck when he was a flight instructor, during WW2 at Valdosta, and nobody EVER got in a plane with him, carrying one.

It must have worked pretty good....he never had a crash, and never washed out a flight cadet. ;)