PDA

View Full Version : Okay History Buffs

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2016, 11:31 AM
If you have some windshield time, or any other down time when you can listen to a podcast/audiobook, give a listen to a guy named Dan Carlin. Larke, I know you read a lot of stuff in your deer stand, but you could prolly stick one earphone in your ear and still listen to this guy.

The first ones I listened to were about the Greek and Persian Empires and all of the kings from basically Cyrus on down to Alexander the Great. Right now, I downloaded the mp3s and I'm listening to his first podcasts that are about Genghis Khan. The whole series is called 'Hard ore History'.

These might sound like dry subjects but they way he relates history is really awesome. He makes it come alive and that makes it really interesting. And be prepared, they are 3-4 hours long. So if you have a daily routine where you listen to music or news, these are awesome.

Of course, it pays if you like history.

He has some other podcasts called 'Common Sense' that i've been told are really good but I haven't listened to them yet.

This guy is seriously good. Give it a listen. Its better than a lot of the crap you hear being broadcast these days.

BKb

LJ3
09-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Sounds right up my alley! I'm reading O'Reilly's Killing of Japan in WW2 right now.

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2016, 11:36 AM
You have to go to his website to get his earlier stuff. They're like a buck ninety nine.

BKB

Thumper
09-22-2016, 12:27 PM
We're gonna be seein' a lot of that area during the next couple weeks P-hole. While in Greece, we'll be hitting ... Katakolon/Olympia, Piraeus/Athens, Mykonos, Rhodes, Thira/Santorini and Argostoli/Cephalonia. Maybe I'll dig around in the dirt and see if I can find some old shit to sell on eBay! :D

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Go to Delphi and ask who's gonna win the election.

BKb

Thumper
09-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Ha! Sure! There are a few choices of Mediterranean cruises ... the one I chose is the "Mediterranean Empires".

DeputyDog
09-23-2016, 08:12 AM
I'm gonna have to check them out. Sounds interesting. It will give me something to listen to driving around on patrol.

Thump, I hope you enjoy your trip even though you're not able to travel in your preferred method. When I was in Greece and Turkey, I was blown away at the ancient places we went to. In Turkey we visited the Agora of Smyrna which dates back to the time of Alexander the Great and the area was already developed before then.

When we were on the cruise through that area I thought it was pretty cool to be sailing on the same waters and maybe the same routes as the Greeks on their way to Troy.

Thumper
09-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Yessir, we were really looking forward to Istanbul ... but they cancelled all our Turkish stops after the terrorist bombings. They added a couple of extra Greek ports and one in Albania, so maybe it'll be a good excuse to go back to hit Turkey at a later date. At any rate, we're looking forward to it. I love cruises and am already thinking about the next one. Just gots ta' put the hustle on eBay once we get back. :D

LJ3
09-23-2016, 10:25 AM
I'm pretty sure using the words "hit turkey" has the NSA crawling up our asses now. Way to go, Pumphead.

BarryBobPosthole
09-23-2016, 10:30 AM
The Pink Pants Division maybe.

BKB

Thumper
09-23-2016, 10:35 AM
That's ok ... I'll just tell 'em I know Carnivore. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Then they'd transfer that over to the Poopy Pants Division.

BKB

Captain
09-23-2016, 12:03 PM
I Will check it out Posty. There are several stands I hunt where I'm shooting long distance and I will listen to a audiobooks. This is one I'll give a try this season.