PDA

View Full Version : My Moms Obituary

LJ3
10-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Sorry for all the death related stuff :)

http://covenantfuneralservice.com/obituaries/mary-lee-jenkins/

I assume this gets easier but so far it's been like someone kicks me in the stomach every 10 minutes or so. I was her favorite child so maybe that has some bearing on things. Who knows.

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Its hard to describe, but you never get over it. I think what happens is the remembrances change from ones that make you cry to ones that make you smile. That sounds cliche' but it has been so for me. It took a few years, but I noticed recently how good it makes me feel to talk about Dad to my grandkids. That's when it occured to me I'd turned a corner as far as dealing with it. For the longest time I heard his voice at times talking to me, and my son and I both laugh at Dad-isms from time to time so I know he thinks of him the same way.

That's a fine obituary. It has your voice. Well done.

I can come running with vodka and stories any time you need it.

BKB

jb
10-02-2016, 06:44 PM
She sounds like a great lady and will be dearly missed by many.
She left behind some great memories that will live on for all those who knew her.
Sorry for your loss.

Big Muddy
10-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Len, that's a very nice commemoration and celebration of your Mom's life.

Captain
10-03-2016, 03:55 AM
That especially nice LJ. Sounds like she was one heck of a lady that not only met life's challenges head on, but did it like a lady.

Chicken Dinner
10-03-2016, 05:31 AM
She sound like an amazing woman and mother. Thanks for sharing.

DeputyDog
10-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Len, I have to agree with what Barry said. I knew that after my Dad died I had a hard time remembering the way he was before he got sick. It took quite awhile but now, like Barry said, I really enjoy talking about him with my kids. He died before they were born so they never met him.

Hombre
10-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Very nice obituary Len. Sorry for your loss.

LJ3
10-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Thanks guys... I discovered something interesting with the obituary. My sister and I sat down and wrote bullets of things to cover. She wrote the whole thing and sent it to me and I was floored. She writes pretty much exactly like I do. Turns out we talked about it and i'ts very consistent with how My Mom wrote as well.

When I first read it I thought "wow, I don't even remember writing this at all. I must be losing it for real." (this sort of stress makes me VERY forgetful), then I realized that mys sister had written it. Kinda cool.

Service is this Saturday and I'm torn. I wish 4 people will show up and I wish 400 would show up.

My dysfunctional fucked up family will be coming up from Roanoke and I guarandamntee ya one of them will eventually find a way to ask if they're getting any of my Moms minuscule estate (they're not). All but one of them has lived a life of constantly looking for handouts and relying on others to keep them afloat with my Mom bailing them out more times than I can count. I can ignore them for the most part but my sister is not gifted in that way. All holy hell will break loose and hey, good thing there will be lots of drinking involved. I'll just grab a beer and some popcorn and sit in the corner.

Bwana
10-04-2016, 09:55 AM
A great tribute to what sounds like quite the lady!

Big Muddy
10-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Len, I know this is a stressful time for you....both my parents passed away within a short time of each other....it really hit me hard.

You guys here at GH really helped me thru it, just by knowing you were "here" for me, with supportive comments.

Are you holding up, okay???

LJ3
10-04-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm doing ok Muddy. Kinda sleep walking thru everything today. Trying to stay focused at work is impossible and I have zero patience (and fucks to give) about pretty much everything :) I'm more worried about my sister. I live about 70 miles from them both so she was the primary in every way with my Mom. She's taking it real hard.

Chicken Dinner
10-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Let us know if you need some woods time this fall. I've found I can sort a lot of stuff out sitting up on a ridge top in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

LJ3
10-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks CD. I've been in negotiations with E :) I feel the need for some jerky this year. Hell, I still owe Eddie some from 5 years ago!

I'm gonna try to put Cap'n's axiom to the test on Friday morning that you can't fish and worry at the same time. We'll just see about that! There's a little stretch of the Rapahannock in Fredericksburg I may try to wade if I get the chance.