PDA

View Full Version : Everytime I make my mark somebody paints the wall

Nandy
10-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Refi the house, got some money, spent some of it, heck, I just bought an AR-15 that I have been wanting for years and a new truck.... Guess what, today they announced layoff in my department... And my group is included... Fuck me... Names will be named on Oct 27 and unless some miracle happens I will be in the list... Separation will happen between 30 or 60 days after the notice. Severance package has not been divulged yet but I bet it is the standard so I might get 6 months year worth of pay but I will loose all of my benefits too.
I have spent 18 years seeing lay off but never been so threatened before.
Seems I can get my pension plus some money I have in the bank I can pay the house mortgage but I will loose about $30k if I do this and obviously my pension, but at least I will have a house, the one month old truck might not fare too well, hate to see my credit take that hit.... I could still move withing the company but there are not really a lot of positions available.

Fuck, fuckiry, fuck, fuck, fuck...

Big Muddy
10-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Nandy, that is some tough news, my friend, and I am so sorry that you and your family have to go thru this.

Arty
10-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Hey don't look at the downside until there IS a downside. Maybe it won't be you. If it is, worrying won't help. If it's still undecided whether it will be you, then your attitude and actions could change that!

And last, I know a lot of people that have been laid off. Several on this site!

And 6-12 months after... they ALL were glad it happened.

I get you're scared. I'd be too. But keep your head up. It ain't over.
As long as you are laying on THIS side of the grass (I'll explain that one, it's a saying that means "you are still alive")
then it's not over. You may or may not have a little tough sledding ahead, but you will be fine.

Captain
10-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Man sorry to hear this Nandy.
Perhaps it will work out for the best in the long run.

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Tough news, Nandy. I'd think a guy with you talent and experience could land on his feet. Don't let it get you down. I know the kicked in the stomach feeling. It happened to me in 1986.

Hang in there. You have more way more strengths than weaknesses. Just don't forget that.

BKB

Nandy
10-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys, it just pisses me off that it comes at this time when I have made some strong monetary commitments. I have no doubt I will find a job, I just hate starting over now that I am sitting nice and comfortable. Worst part is having to send my son to live with his biological mom since it is very likely I will not be working a second shift right off the bat, that is what tears me apart the most....

LJ3
10-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Two times foe me buddy! I always found my place and both times much better off.

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2016, 09:06 PM
If you can find another job quickly, your severance is money in the bank. Could make a big difference. So there's an opportunity.
BKB

Bwana
10-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Man that sucks. But remember when one door closes, another door opens.

Hombre
10-05-2016, 10:36 AM
It really does suck. I agree with most though after seeing so many people over the years impacted by this they all seem to come out in a better place, and I'm sure you will too Nandy.

LJ3
10-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Nandy. Send me your resume. I may not be able to help but it's important you prepare. Get it created, updated, whatever needs to be done. Hell, I'll even provide another pair of eyes if you want some editing help. It's definitely in my wheelhouse.

BarryBobPosthole
10-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Nandy. Send me your resume. I may not be able to help but it's important you prepare. Get it created, updated, whatever needs to be done. Hell, I'll even provide another pair of eyes if you want some editing help. It's definitely in my wheelhouse.

Send it my way too Nandy. I know some people I can pass it along to and I'm in a few telecom groups I can pass it along to as well.
And I guess its a tender subject but where do you stand on relocating?

BKB

LJ3
10-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Another thing as far as expecting the best but preparing for the worst. Sign up at indeed.com

It is hands down the most effective job search engine out there. Dice, monster and all the other big ones aren't nearly as effective. Their technology pulls from EVERYWHERE.

Nandy
10-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Hi guys, sorry, was gone on vacation.
I already have applied for center technical support on another technology and had a talk with the area manager for that technology. I'm familiar with all of his staff, supervisors, technical support and contracted employees. As a matter of fact, I have directly worked with some of them and they are in the same floor I am. He has 5 technical position to fill and his staff told me he is having a hard time filling even one. I talked to him and was transparent into what is making me look into his organization and what would be the time frames involved in any release and he understood and told me if he does not find what he is looking for he is not opposed to give me a try... This is switch so it is old technology that eventually is going to see the same attrition as our transport/dsl technology, that is the only reason I will not do the lateral move unless I get surplus. If I dont get surplus I will keep looking as I have before so I can move to the tcp/ip technology and not having this "old technology attrition" label in my back any longer...

Yes guys, I am in deed preparing for the worst but I see a few opportunities left within the company and I will try to pursue those before looking into outside opportunities and moving is not out of the question, specially if there is good motivation$ behind it. When it comes down to it, I will take what I can.

I appreciate everyone's words of encouragement and offers to help. It means a lot to me.

I will let you all know more details as I find out more myself.

airbud7
10-10-2016, 06:02 PM
You will come out on Top Nandy!.....as others have said times like this always work out for the better.

PS: did you get the money I sent for the badge?......;)

Nandy
10-10-2016, 10:52 PM
did you get the money I sent for the badge?......;)

shhhhhh, ;-)

Nandy
11-02-2016, 04:16 PM
As predicted, last Friday they called my name, I have until Dec 27 to get another job if I want to stay in the company. I had applied to a position but the position was filed with people that are knowledgeable on that technology which would have been new technology to me. Seems I will have to move from technical support to supervisory work as the technical support was targeted in this layoff so I doubt there will be much any other option coming up. We shall see.... I'm gone to see if there is a willing deer this weekend to keep me entertained. The biggest issue is not the job, is the certainty that I will have to send my boy to live with his mom in Florida... Fuckers...

Chicken Dinner
11-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Not sure how I missed this until now. I'm sure you've got a lot of crap running through your mind right now, but try not to get too down. Things do have a way of working out.

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Yep! Chin up, Nandy!

BKB

Nandy
11-03-2016, 10:07 PM
thanks guys, one job opened up and I might put for it next week. Still trying to see if another technical support opens up.. Problem is, if you interview for a position that is a lateral or better and you get offered the job you cant turn it down or your will loose your surplus package, same if someone sees your resume and offers you a position, you cant turn it down or you will loose your package... Catch 22...

Captain
11-04-2016, 05:11 AM
Nandy, you are a great person and I'm sure things will work out better for you in the long run. Keep your head up and stay positive! I've been right where you are and things worked out better than I had wished for. Let us know if we can help in anyway.

Nandy
12-27-2016, 06:32 PM
Guess what day it is? Guess what I am doing? Starting my employee exit interview paperwork....
did not even got a darn interview in almost 3 months of trying in about 12 positions which I qualified for.
Put in for some Duke jobs, will check timewarner as well, verizon has 0 positions here that I can apply.
good I have some savings that will get me thru maybe 2 months.
Have to start over at age 48 is what pisses me off the most....

Was planning on hunting tomorrow all day and pick on any willing deer but I have to be at the office around noon to finish this paperwork and turn in any assets... even after they fire me they still nailing me in the butt... I guess it will have to wait until friday for me to hunt...

Will let you guys know if anything comes up...

Thumper
12-27-2016, 06:54 PM
Good luck Nandy. I've been there, done that a couple times. As devastating as it was, each time happened to turn into a positive move. Keep your chin up and move on. There's a good chance you'll make lemonade out'a those lemons. Keep us informed.

Chicken Dinner
12-27-2016, 09:37 PM
Hang in there! I'm sure better days are coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
12-27-2016, 10:32 PM
Head down eyes up! You'll be just fine. Companies always need hard workers and god knows there ain't many of those nowadays.

Nandy
12-27-2016, 11:34 PM
thanks guys!

Captain
12-28-2016, 07:36 AM
Good luck Nandy! You will land on your feet somewhere and he better off. You have the drive to do that.