PDA

View Full Version : What a sucky Christmas in Myanmar/Burma (I flew on this plane)

Thumper
12-25-2012, 08:21 AM
I've flown on this exact aircraft. While traveling Burma, I took a couple of flights on Air Bagan. They only have two aircraft, a couple of aging Fokker 100's. One is an AGF and the other is an AGC. I remember on our final flight when we were headed toward Laos, my buddy and I noted we were flying on their second aircraft and joked that we had now flown the airline's complete fleet. Anyway, one of those planes crashed yesterday. Miraculously only two people were killed ... one was a passenger and the other was a motorcyclist on the ground (is that sucky luck or what?). Considering there were 65 passengers plus the crew ... I'd say this was a bit of a "Christmas Miracle". Unfortunately, the only fatality on the plane itself was an 11 year old child.

I will say, when flying Air Bagan, we both found the crew of those aircraft to be surprisingly professional and felt very safe and comfortable even though Myanmar is still in the dark ages technologically speaking and these planes are both between 20 and 25 years old (and no longer manufactured). The cause of this crash is confusing right now. Some reports talk of an engine fire and an emergency (crash) landing ... other reports say there was heavy fog and a road was mistaken for the runway (it crashed on a road 3 miles short of the runway and the airport has VERY little in the way of beacons/navigational aids). At any rate, I can't believe only one person on this plane was killed.

http://www.irrawaddy.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/603207_494890237222505_1484003085_n-e1356417452631.jpg

LW
12-25-2012, 09:54 AM
20 - 25 years old is still in the break-in age for a plane. What I would be more concerned about is the maintenance standards over there.

LW
12-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Btw, Merry Christmas Thump. You and I are probably the sole occupants of this group today.

Buckrub
12-25-2012, 03:31 PM
You flew THAT flight? Are you dead now? Wow.

Thumper
12-25-2012, 08:38 PM
I had to leave the watch to you LW ... I bailed after that post. ;)

Yeah, I agree, the plane isn't that old and I too worry about the maintenance on fleets like that. I think one of the worst flights I ever took was out of Siberia (Noyabrsk) to Moscow. It was on old 2-engined prop plane and there was a big drip pan under one of the engines as it sat on the tarmac. You had to walk right by it to board the aircraft and the oil wasn't dripping ... there was a small stream RUNNING out'ta the dang thing. That was a bit of a white-knuckle ride!

I know you're joking Buckster ... but I don't get the joke. I think I said I flew "on that exact aircraft" ... not on that exact flight. Neener-neener. :D

BarryBobPosthole
12-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Jim, a friend of mine went bear hunting in Siberia and flew on an old Russian military helicopter that about scared his hair white. I guess they carried big cans of hydraulic fluid they had to add every time they stopped and the whole aircraftwas an oil pit. What we do in the name of fun!
He sure as hell killed a big brown bear though!

BKB

Buckrub
12-25-2012, 10:04 PM
You always ruin all my jokes. :(