PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Comparison

BarryBobPosthole
10-25-2016, 09:41 PM
I've been thinking a lot about who in our presidential history that might be like Donald Trump. The name that keeps popping in my head is Teddy Roosevelt. Both men are narcissists, both are unabashed racists (though we have to judge Roosevelt in the context of his time), both split the populist arm right away from the Republican party, and this one might surprise you: Trump might do to big banks what Teddy did to Big Coal, as in bust them up. His comments about the AT&T merger kind of shows his hand a bit. And Teddy used the Presidency to settle personal scores.

Teddy wasn't so bad as president. He scared the shit out of people then, too like Donald is now.

That don't mean i'll vote for him. But he's not really unique in our history. And we survived Teddy quite well thank you.

BKB

quercus alba
10-25-2016, 10:08 PM
African Adventures about Roosevelts hunting trip is a great read. Hard to denigrate a man who participated in wholesale slaughter of large mammals in the name of science

BarryBobPosthole
10-25-2016, 10:12 PM
The River of Doubt, about his Amazonian travels, is another good one.

BKB

Captain
10-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Damn, I agree with you...
Did you take some medicine or eat some adult brownies?

Chicken Dinner
10-26-2016, 05:12 AM
George Wallace was the comparison that came to my mind first.

Captain
10-26-2016, 06:12 AM
George Wallace was the comparison that came to my mind first.
Booooo hissssssh, he has a DEMO-CRAP. And like most southern democrats was a racist until they decided they needed the black vote. Then they turned into the free stuff and handout party to buy votes.

Big Muddy
10-26-2016, 08:03 AM
Ole Teddy spent a ton of time here in MS....bear hunting in our beautiful bottomland hardwoods, with Holt Collier, his black hunting guide, by his side....this is where the term "Teddy Bear" was coined.

If you want to read a sensational book, this is it...."Holt Collier: His Life, His Roosevelt Hunts, and the Origin of the Teddy Bear."....we've even got a 2,000 acre wildlife refuge named for Holt Collier.

https://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/facts/HoltCollier-con.pdf

And, btw, it would be a positive step forward, if Trump could lead the U.S., as good as Teddy...."Speak softly, but carry a big stick."

Chicken Dinner
10-26-2016, 08:13 AM
Yeah, Trump is more like, "Speak loudly and carry a little dick."

Chicken Dinner
10-26-2016, 08:14 AM
Booooo hissssssh, he has a DEMO-CRAP. And like most southern democrats was a racist until they decided they needed the black vote. Then they turned into the free stuff and handout party to buy votes.

Those old Blue Dog Democrats would be Republicans today. Besides, Barry said Roosevelt was a racist and you didn't argue with that and Trump is so many "ists" I can't keep track of them all.

Captain
10-26-2016, 08:27 AM
Those old Blue Dog Democrats would be Republicans today. Besides, Barry said Roosevelt was a racist and you didn't argue with that and Trump is so many "ists" I can't keep track of them all.
That's pure unadulterated hog wash.... :D

BarryBobPosthole
10-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Google " Theodore Roosevelt eugenics" and see what light reading comes up.

BKB

LJ3
10-26-2016, 10:23 AM
I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't think Trump is racist.

Captain
10-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Nope, I'm with ya! I never have felt he was racist

BarryBobPosthole
10-26-2016, 10:48 AM
I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't think Trump is racist.

If you study our forbearers too closely, you'll run across racism so often that it'll make you fearful. The founders for sure, anyone who believed in 'manifest destiny', eugenics was very popular at the turn of the century, and on and on. It made me re-examine how I looked at racists. I look at it now like I look at the medicine of the times. In other words, people accepted untrue beliefs based on race just as other commonly known facts of their era. They believed in witches at one time for chrissakes. They treated diseases with mercury and killed people. And thought it perfectly natural. So all I'm saying is you have to give historical fuckers some slack based on the times they lived in.
Bigotry, on the other hand is unacceptable. Trump is a bigot. I'm not sure if Teddy Roosevelt was a bigot, but I know he was a racist.

BKB

johnboy
10-26-2016, 11:26 AM
So, just out of curiosity and to be fair, who would you compare to Mrs. Clinton?

Thumper
10-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Satan

Big Muddy
10-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Satan

BAAAAAMMMMM !!!!!

Big Muddy
10-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Evidently, Phole hasn't seen "Hillary's America", either....the day'um Dems. invented racism and slavery !!!

Chicken Dinner
10-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Satan

Ha!

Once, or if, you get past her despicable personal qualities, she's basically a technocrat and loves the details of government policy. She also believes that the government can cure everybody's problems. If you look at the various positions she's taken over time (ie, opposed to gay marriage and now for it, voted for Iraq war and now against it, etc.), she would also appear to have no real overriding value system. Or, at least she's willing to put it aside for political expediency.

Thankfully, there hasn't been anyone in my life time like her. I'll have to think back on my presidential history for a comparison.

quercus alba
10-26-2016, 11:40 AM
The term racism is nothing but a crutch people use to get what they want. Everyone is a racist, everyone is prejudiced to some extent against different races for different reasons and if you say you're not you're only fooling yourself cause you sure ain't fooling me.

Chicken Dinner
10-26-2016, 11:46 AM
Evidently, Phole hasn't seen "Hillary's America", either....the day'um Dems. invented racism and slavery !!!

Meh. The Democratic Party is hardly the party of Jefferson, nor is the Republican Party the party of Lincoln, any more.

quercus alba
10-26-2016, 11:50 AM
If I remember my civics class , the republican and democratic parties basically did a 180 somewhere along the line

Thumper
10-26-2016, 12:09 PM
....the day'um Dems. invented racism and slavery !!!

Ha ha ha, come on Muddy ... although I'd love to agree with you, that's a pretty asinine statement and quite a stretch. Heck, slavery goes all the way back to the Babylonians! And I'm not even positive what the true definition of racism is or when the term was first used, but I'd have to think it really came to light with Nazism in the 30's.

BarryBobPosthole
10-26-2016, 12:10 PM
The term racism is nothing but a crutch people use to get what they want. Everyone is a racist, everyone is prejudiced to some extent against different races for different reasons and if you say you're not you're only fooling yourself cause you sure ain't fooling me.

Racism is simply the belief that one can judge a person's intellect by their outward appearance or by their parentage. Like the Jews consider themselves the 'chosen people'. That quite essentially a racist belief.

Of course racism still exists in humanity. That doesn't mean that making decisions based on those beliefs is right. That when it becomes bigotry.

BKb

johnboy
10-26-2016, 12:28 PM
My definition of racism - If you're not like me, I won't like you.

Big Muddy
10-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Again, I say, watch the day'um documentary/movie....until you do, I'll stand pat.

LJ3
10-26-2016, 01:56 PM
Innersting. My definition of racism is more general. When any decision a person makes is based on the color of a persons skin or ethnicity. Airbody does it. I suppose when it moves more toward the bigotry area is where it becomes damaging.

What do I know. I'm a half redneck half yuppie white boy so everything is pretty much my fault anyway.

airbud7
10-26-2016, 04:48 PM
Y'all do know that I'm a Black Guy?....I just like hanging out with Y'all white folk.

Big Muddy
10-26-2016, 05:26 PM
Ha, Abud, since you a black boy.....years ago, didn't you post some rare pics of your white spouse or galfriend???....if so, do you have any half-n-half chirren??? ;););)

P.S. Have you signed up for yo free sheeit??? ;););)

Thumper
10-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Zebras? Or Oreos? ;)

airbud7
10-26-2016, 06:17 PM
hahaha....Y'all white folk crack me up!.......:)

Chicken Dinner
10-26-2016, 07:11 PM
"I was born a poor black child..."

airbud7
10-26-2016, 07:28 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTM0MjM3MTIwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM2ODYwNA@@._ V1_UY317_CR19,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
10-26-2016, 07:38 PM

And QA this has been nibbling away at me since I read it. I find it a bit disengenuous (sp?) to say racism is nothing more than a trope for manipulation. The holocaust was a product of racism, the civil war was because of racism, the extermination of whole tribes of native peoples was because of racism, Jesus was crucified and racism was a big part of it.

Its not wrong to question what part racism plays in anything. It is wrong to use it a a lever to use in every political conversation, though and I do agree with that point. But then again, so is bringing up abortion as the exit line as well.

FYI, I'm not, not voting for the orange peril because he's a racist though. I never got down that far on my list of POTUS Priorities before I said fuck it, this guy's crazy. I was only using his personality traits to say we've seen this act before.

BKB

quercus alba
10-27-2016, 07:51 AM
If racism was viewed in its true meaning then I'd agree with you but it has become a political and social tool. Politicians use it to manipulate the minority vote and minority's use it to get what they want. It's no longer about right or wrong it's all about political correctness. Heaven forbid that we should offend any minority group by giving the impression that we're racist. Let's just give them whatever they demand regardless of right or wrong, regardless of what the majority wants, the fact that you're part of a majority automatically makes you racist. As a Christian, I can't be racist and be true to my beliefs. Being white doesn't make me racist. Being a Christian doesn't make me homophobic. Being a man doesn't make me sexist.

We all see those different from us as just that. Different. Not good not bad just different. In that sense we're all racist.

Oh, and only us pale faces can be racists. I don't suffer from white guilt. If I see a big menacing looking black/Hispanic/Asian/white guy standing in a dark alley I'm not going to stop and offer him a bible tract.

quercus alba
10-27-2016, 07:59 AM
In the words of that famous American, Homer Simpson, " I hate all races equally "

Chicken Dinner
10-27-2016, 08:43 AM
This is going to sound like I've been to some mandatory employer seminar because, well, I have. While most of those are BS, I do normally glean a nugget of truth in there. We all have our "biases". Some are conscious and some are unconscious. To me a racist has a conscious bias against someone because of their color and acts upon it. Hopefully, this is a relatively small number of us. What everyone has is unconscious bias which is the sum of all of our experiences that cause us to be more comfortable or uncomfortable when dealing with certain kinds of people. These could be race based. But, they could just as easily be gender based, education based, geography based, etc. As for me, I'll agree with QA and Homer and this meme pretty much sums it up:

Big Muddy
10-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Y'all do know that I'm a Black Guy?....I just like hanging out with Y'all white folk.

Hey, Abud, there's been some recent talk about Slick Willie, having an illegitimate son....you might wanna check your DNA....you might be able to get some of that Clinton Foundation money, in addition to yo other free sheet. ;)