PDA

View Full Version : HEY GEEKS......Another new printer............sigh....This will tax your skills

Buckrub
12-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Shoulda told Santa, I guess. All I got was a lump of coal.

Dang Kodak HERO (what a stupid name) printer! I spent days upon days with Kodak in INDIA (yeah, I could tell!) last year. They had a case open that they couldn't solve....took days. Turned out that printer was incompatible with my new router (Netgear) model. Woo Hoo. Somehow they connected to my computer and fixed it. Bought these in April 2012.

Now the print quality is kaput. Skips every other line. I've bought TWO new cartridges! Same with each. Only way it would print anything readable was to go to Print Maintenance and do something called "Clean Printhead". I had to do that for EVERY sheet of paper, takes about 3 minutes. But it would print somewhat legibly.

Got an email I wanted to print. It printed it but skipped every other line. I tried to do the "Clean Printhead" routine, and it says my printer is Disconnected!!! My router says it sees it. My printer says it's connected. But it won't do the maintenance.

So, I decided to just try and print the email again, and now it spools it forever, and won't print it either. SO, I connected the ROUTER (NOT the Printer) via RJ45 cable instead of wireless, and VOILA, the Printer software now says "Oh, yeah, I'm connected now". THEN I ran the maintenance and cleaned the printhead, and it allowed me to print ONE page of the email and not skip lines, but it's 'weak' printing. The next page is skipping lines. So, the maintenance function has to be done every page to even have half a chance to read it.

I'd just throw it away and eat the money and go buy a new printer, but I don't fully understand the original problem of the router not seeing the printer wirelessly, but DOES see it if the printing computer is wired RJ45...........and I'm afraid a new printer will just do the same thing.

Aggcckkkkkkkk!@!!

HunterEd
12-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Rub,
Kodak is in chapter 11 and the place is all but closed up. Kodak printers suck, as do the small mongolian desktop Xerox printers. Xerox does make a decent Phaser 6180 but no scanner. I have a Lexmark all in one. Scanner,fax,printer which has served me well for several years. So far~

My Lexmark programing doesn't care to much for the laptop's system but at least I can print out shipping lables and the occassional letter. My problem is it will not print untill I remover the primter from the laptop and delete the print job from the spool. Other times it spits em out.

Sounds to me your print head is bad or plugged. Take it out and clean, soak just the head end in some warm water to open the ports up. This may help.

I'd just buy a new printer if it was me.

jb
12-26-2012, 10:00 AM
I currently run three printers on my system, Kodak ESP7, HP1220C, and an HP Designjet 500. All of them work great.
Kodak is my main printer, copier, scanner, and picture printer. Works flawlessly, burn a lot of ink through it, have switched to buying it from Cartridge World for about half price, don't see a difference.
Sorry you're having problems, just keep your screw drivers and drills away from it though. :)

Niner
12-26-2012, 11:46 AM
If you get another printer take a look at HP.
The company my daughter works for has hundreds and hundreds of reps in the field that work out of their "home office" at their house. Every few years they upgrade their laptops and their printers. Since she's been with them, they've always been HP's.

Of course they might have just been the low bidder on the contract??? They also have them driving Ford Escapes.