PDA

View Full Version : Short Trip report

BarryBobPosthole
10-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Have I mentioned lately how much i love being retired?

It was so foggy here yesterday, you couldn't see the opposite bank until about noon. We fished anyway, at a little city lake called Chelsea Lake.

No, not Chelsea Clinton. Didn't catch much, but I did catch one I was going to ask QA to give me a read on, him being the resident expert on panfish.

We had a good Nat Geo day. Watched a young immature baldy fishing for a good while. When he finally caught one and tried to settle in to eat it, a crow came and landed right next to him and harassed the shit out of him. Then a few more came along and started in on him. They got distracted by an owl that flew by and took off after him. Why do they hate owls so much?

BkB

and ps, on edit, this young eagle had so much white on him we scratched our heads for a long time wondering if he was other kind of raptor. I looked at several pics on my audubon app when I got home and I guess its more common that I though. Thos bird looked like a redtail almost, but redtails don't fish and tos bird was too big for a red tail. This eagle must have been an immature one that is molting is all .i can figure. Couldn't get a pic.

quercus alba
10-28-2016, 09:32 AM
(Lepomis microlophus) better known as the Redear Sunfish. Also known as Mason bream, shellcracker or Chinquippin.

BarryBobPosthole
10-28-2016, 09:37 AM
I thought it was cool that this lake had them. Almost had to be a stocker.

BkB

LJ3
10-28-2016, 10:23 AM
Cool looking fishy. The mouth looks like one of his parents was a crappie.

BarryBobPosthole
10-28-2016, 10:34 AM
You put together a nice mess of these that'll run 3\4 pounds, and you've got yourself a treasure. Good eaters, and fun to catch. We don't have them as concentrated here as they do in lakes a little further south, so we don't get into them on the beds like they do, for example, in Arkansas.
They get big in Lake Havasu in Arizona too. I've seen pictures of some giants caught there.
BKB

LJ3
10-28-2016, 10:52 AM
For the record. That's not his ear that's red.

Captain
10-28-2016, 11:11 AM
We call 'em bream. ;)