PDA

View Full Version : Almost Hurt Myself

BarryBobPosthole
12-26-2012, 03:12 PM
....patting my self on my broad shouldered back that is.

I've been having a chronic but intermittant internet and phone outage at my house for about two weeks. I had a tech out to the house and tested until he was blue in the face, replacedline amps and splitters and claimed success, only to have the problem get worse over the weekend and Christmas. In all of trips up to my attic room to reset my cable modem, I noticed that every time It went out, both air handlers in that space were on. So I traced the power circuit for those and lo and behold they were on the same feed as the outlet that I have my equipment plugged into are. Which is strange but I guess they never expected that outlet to be used for much. So I says to myself, 'Self, this is a power problem and when one of those units kicks on that cable modem is getting a power fluctuation that is making it lose its feeble mind.' then I got to looking and noticed the cable modem had its own little battery backup and the battery light wasn't on. Hmmmm. The battery in an UPS, you see, is also a filter, and filters out any of those nasty little fluctuations. So I reseated the battery and VOILA, the battery light came on and my internet and phone has been stable ever since. I'm quite possibly the best technician I've ever met. Mainly because I'm a journeyman noticer.

And that is how I almost hurt myself.

BKB

Buckrub
12-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Come fix my printer, Swami.

BarryBobPosthole
12-26-2012, 03:22 PM
I can't fix your karma, Bucky.

BKB

LJ3
12-26-2012, 03:22 PM
I had so many different Verzion jokes in my head I fell out of my chair and hurt myself reading this. That's TWO injuries resulting from your technical prowess.

Buckrub
12-26-2012, 03:41 PM
I didn't even try to go there.

I figured it was stupid to shoot a laser cannon into a mirror.

BarryBobPosthole
12-26-2012, 03:42 PM
I didn't even tell you how I also noticed that it got worse as it got colder, hence those heaters came on more often.

BKB

Buckrub
12-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Trouble leaving here fine.

You're the man. The electron man. Not Electric Man, he's out west.

And my Karma is just great. It's my printer that needs help.