PDA

View Full Version : How's ya'lls puh-con crop???....

Big Muddy
11-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Well, that's the way we pronounce it, down here.....and, every tree, every where around the area is absolutely loaded, this year....and, the nuts are full, meaty, oily, and taste excellent....it's been two years, since we had a decent crop like this, but this year is dang sure making up for it.

Thumper
11-02-2016, 10:57 PM
I thought it was pee-kan.

Big Muddy
11-02-2016, 11:59 PM
Pee-kans are north of the Mason-Dixon line. ;)

Thumper
11-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Just messin' with the Yankees here. It's always been puh-con in my family. My mom's puh-con pie is the best ever and it was alway her job to make a couple for every big family gathering at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Captain
11-03-2016, 04:12 AM
The acorns and pecans are the heaviest I've ever seen. You literary cannot walk thru the woods without getting pelted.
It's sorta like trying to walk on marbles.
And the deer are not even thinking about coming around a corn feeder right now. There is corn stacking up under all feeders.

Thumper
11-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Same here with the acorns. My mom has an aluminum awning over her back patio and it sits right under a big oak tree. It sounds like a 24/7 hail storm over there right now. Luckily, she's getting a bit hard of hearing these days, otherwise, I don't know how she'd sleep!

We have a large oak in front of the house and anytime one of the neighbors drives into the cul-de-sac, it sounds like strings of miniature firecrackers going off.

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Pecans are scarce hereabouts. The crows are complaining.

BKB

Thumper
11-03-2016, 08:31 AM
We have a ton of trees in town, but none in my immediate neighborhood and I haven't been around one lately, so I have no clue how our crop is this year. But, if it's anything like the acorn crop, you could shovel them up by the truckload!

Chicken Dinner
11-03-2016, 08:33 AM
No pee-kans here abouts. Our acorn crop is fairly plentiful, but the nuts themselves are pretty small. (Like half normal size.) I'm thinking they were stunted due to the dry summer and early fall we've had. I was down in southeastern Tennessee last weekend and the acorns were freaking huge and plentiful.

Big Muddy
11-03-2016, 09:26 AM
My Dad planted a bunch of black walnut trees, here on the farm years ago....they are about the size of tennis balls, this year, and are full and heavy....if you're walking under one of the trees, and get hit in the haid with one of those bad boys, you gonna get a headache....and, don't even THINK about running over one with a lawnmower....just go ahead, and buy some new blades. ;)

Which reminds me, I gotta gather up a big load of them, and "accidentally" drop them around my deerstand....I don't know how the h3ll the deer and squirrels get those hard-azz things open, but they really love them.

Big Muddy
11-03-2016, 01:18 PM
Had a little time, this morning, so I gathered up a few in the bed of the Ranger, and danged if the bed didn't pop up, just as I drove up to my deerstand (;););))

Just kiddin'....by our law, as long as they're outta sight of your deerstand, you're good to go.

Arty
11-03-2016, 01:24 PM
but the nuts themselves are pretty small. (Like half normal size.)

So they're "Thumper" acorns then is what you're saying

Chicken Dinner
11-03-2016, 01:41 PM
So they're "Thumper" acorns then is what your saying

Pretty much.