PDA

View Full Version : Why trust the day'um voting machines and ???.....

Big Muddy
11-08-2016, 05:44 PM
In this day and age of technology, why is there a need to even go to a voting precinct???
I'm sure the internet is just as secure, as those voting machines....prolly, more so....so why not just let everyone vote online, using their social security number???....no SS#---no vote.

Sure, there would be a few turds to slip by, who knew grandma's SS#, and voted in her place, but it would alleviate all the absentee and paper ballots, as well.

40 trustworthy people, sitting in a room operating 40 BIG computers, could handle the whole day'um voting process.

Is this too simple, or am I just wishful thinking???

BarryBobPosthole
11-08-2016, 05:57 PM
Colorado already has a mail in ballot. I don't know why online wouldn't work. There are obvious security issues that would have to be overcome, and most of those might be psychological.

BKb

airbud7
11-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Yea Muddy....technology is headed there and I agree.

Now I just gotta find my Great Grandma's SS#....She would love Trump if she were here...:D

Nandy
11-08-2016, 07:07 PM
daughter did the mail in... not sure the internet is that bullet proof, so much can go wrong and so much data can be intercepted by crackers and be modified...

Thumper
11-08-2016, 07:15 PM
The Crackers are in Florida, the hackers are in Russia. :D

Thumper
11-08-2016, 07:28 PM
Security and Other Considerations for Adopting Electronic Transmission

While electronic transmission allows voters to cast their ballots quickly and easily, and meet absentee ballot deadlines, these issues of timeliness and convenience must be balanced by other considerations.

Privacy – Because election officials are able to identify the person who sent a ballot via electronic transmission, ballots are not fully anonymous. Privacy of the ballot is a value for voters and for society as a whole.

Security of the election process – Many cybersecurity experts are concerned that any Internet connection could be vulnerable to hacking or other cyber attacks.

Security of the voter’s computer.

Denial of service attack – Potential attackers could disrupt the system by overloading it and prevent communications (i.e. voted ballots) from getting through.

Voter coersion – The possibility that a voter could be coerced into voting a certain way is a consideration for electronic transmission, as well as for traditional mail absentee voting.

Auditability – Electronic transmission does not allow a voter to verify if the ballot received matches the one sent, and without a paper record, a cyberattack may be undetectable.

Authentication – How to verify the identity of the voter must be determined. For example, Alaska requires that the ballot be accompanied by two authentication documents that must be printed and signed by the voter and a witness.

Inconvenience for the local election official – The requirement that each electronically received ballot must be duplicated, probably by a bipartisan team, is an additional burden on the local election office.

Nandy
11-08-2016, 07:34 PM
You see, the things is hackers are the guys that break in for sake of breaking in to a system, they might snoop around and leave. The crackers are the ones with the ill intestions. Both are illegal.... but media adopted hackers for some reason....

LJ3
11-08-2016, 07:42 PM
I think sticking with pen and paper is the only way to go. It's too easy to manipulate stored data like that.

Big Muddy
11-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Well, it looks like the system, which is in place, now, isn't all that reliable and safe, either....absentee ballots are being thrown away, machines are being manipulated, etc....that sheeit has already been documented in several states.

Thumper
11-08-2016, 07:50 PM
You see, the things is hackers are the guys that break in for sake of breaking in to a system, they might snoop around and leave. The crackers are the ones with the ill intestions. Both are illegal.... but media adopted hackers for some reason....

Ha, just messin' with ya' Nandy. :biggrin

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7gXq73MRKmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nandy
11-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Ha, just messin' with ya' Nandy. :biggrin

Nah, you wouldnt do that! lol!

BarryBobPosthole
11-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Thumper, FYI, we ain't listening to anybody from Florida, cracker or not, about how to run a dayum election.

BKB

Thumper
11-08-2016, 08:26 PM
That's ok, Trump's gonna carry Florida and step up the fracking so I'll have cheap gas for my truck. So bite me! :)

BarryBobPosthole
11-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Shake rattle and roll!

BKB