PDA

View Full Version : Today's weatherman replacement?

Thumper
11-09-2016, 11:21 AM
I always thought being a weatherman was the safest job in the world. I mean, what other job could you have where you you were consistently wrong, seldom did your job correctly ... yet you'd never get fired because of it? With satellites and computers, I think things have changed drastically and they do a pretty good job of predicting these days. (IMHO)

I remember growing up in Florida, we'd constantly get hurricane warning and everybody would rush around boarding up windows, dragging patio furniture into the garage, filling their gas tanks (in case of evacuation or disrupted fuel deliveries), buying non-perishable food, etc. One of my jobs was to scrub and bleach the bathtub, then fill it with water which would become our fresh water source in case water service was disrupted. (we didn't really have bottled water back then) The problem was, most times the hurricane would veer off into the Atlantic someplace and all the panic was for naught. Eventually, people lost faith in the system, grew complacent, and didn't bother with all the prep work ... then get nailed when the storm really did hit! It always reminded me of the story about the little boy who cried, "wolf!"

I believe the political polling organizations may be the new weather predicting organizations of the past. They sure had a piss-poor performance for this one. As far as I know, the only one who got this election right was The Democracy Institute, who I believe was also the only organization to accurately predict Brexit.

BarryBobPosthole
11-09-2016, 12:03 PM
We have differing ciews on weathermen. When they say there's a tornado coming I usually take cover.

But as long as there are elections, there will be a whole industry of pollsters. That they are habitually wrong isn't new and doesn't seem to hurt their legitimacy.

BKb

Thumper
11-09-2016, 12:55 PM
We have differing ciews on weathermen. When they say there's a tornado coming I usually take cover. BKb

I guess you missed my point. Actually, we have the same views concerning weather predictions CURRENTLY.

Thumper:
With satellites and computers, I think things have changed drastically and they do a pretty good job of predicting these days. (IMHO)

BarryBobPosthole
11-09-2016, 01:05 PM
They can for some stuff thats for sure. it always amazes me they can get the temp within a degree.

Where I live weather is a phenomena as much as a science. I live where shit converges all the time and you may sweat, get the chills, get wet, or get blown away all in the same day.

And then there's time like this fall when its fucking beautiful.

BkB

Thumper
11-09-2016, 01:20 PM
We've been having fantastic weather. Bright sunny days, a constant breeze and perfect temps. I guess that's what the snowbirds migrate for.

As for weather systems converging, I know what you mean and we have much of the same here. Since I'm inland from the coast and as you say, Florida looks like a big limp dick, I have oceans on both sides. We have the super warm Gulf to the west and the cooler Atlantic to the east of me. When those systems blow inland and meet in the middle, things can get a bit exciting!

BarryBobPosthole
11-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Few weather things scare me as much as lightning.
i'll never forget the lightning storms in St Pete when I lived there. People who haven't seen it, can't understand it.

BKB

Big Muddy
11-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Yeah, lightning is a bad mofo....one of my boyhood friend's Dad, Archie Dale Bush, got hit in his back yard....well, actually, it hit their old butane tank, while he was nearby....day'um old tank exploded, and they pretty much had to re-assemble Mr. Bush for the funeral.

BarryBobPosthole
11-09-2016, 02:24 PM
My ex and I got caught in a thunderstorm right at the timberline backpacking in the Rocky Mountain National Park. It was a bluebird summer day and then in about ten minutes we were scrambling for our lives to get in the timber. We both thought we were meat.
If I remember correctly we put up our tent up and fooled around in the rain too. There's something to be said for adrenalin. It has all sorts of uses.

BKb