PDA

View Full Version : Up yours Adelson!

Thumper
11-10-2016, 11:00 AM
The Medical Marijuana initiative passed in Florida this time around! I voted for it 2 years ago, but it didn't pass. (we needed 60% of the vote, but only hit 58%) This election? A whopping 71% !! ;)

The guy who's been the main impetus for legalization here is the owner of a huge, local law firm who has a brother who's a quadriplegic with chronic pain. He feels marijuana will help alleviate that pain.

Who is Sheldon Adelson? Only the 12th richest person in the world and the owner of The Sands in Las Vegas. He's also the a-hole who does everything he can to defeat any marijuana legalization in the country. Two years ago he contributed $5,000,000 to defeat the Florida initiative. I think this year he felt cocky and figured 1.5 million would be enough to do the trick. IN YOUR FACE Adelson! :D

I feel the master plan is to take baby steps ... medical today ... maybe recreational tomorrow. But in the meantime, our new law gives doctors a lot of flexibility.

The Florida amendment has the potential to be one of the more permissive medical marijuana regimes in the nation. In addition to diseases like HIV, cancer and PTSD, the measure also allows doctors to recommend medical pot for “other debilitating medical conditions of the same kind or class as or comparable to those enumerated, and for which a physician believes that the medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the potential health risks for a patient.” While the 2014 measure allowed doctors to prescribe marijuana for any illness they believed it would be useful for, the new measure requires they show the illness is severe — though the wording gives physicians considerable leeway in determining which conditions would meet those criteria.

Ok, I'm assuming I would have no problem getting a script. I have chronic back pain and am on Percocet. I'm also on drugs to combat PTSD. Problem is, I seriously doubt the VA will supply the marijuana through it's pharmacy, but it's still early and time will tell. One step at a time .... :encouragement: