PDA

View Full Version : College educated???

Thumper
11-12-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm getting a bit tired of the press referring to Hillary voters being predominantly "college educated" while the Trump supporters are generally referred to as "blue collar" or "rural".

From what I've seen and heard from college students the past few days, I'm feeling a bit proud to be within the "basket of deplorables".

STFU and get back to school you damned spoiled-ass cry-babies! :pissed

DeputyDog
11-12-2016, 03:46 PM
I noticed that a lot the night of the election. They referred to Hillary voters as the "college educated" and the Trump voters as "those with less education". Maybe I was being a bit sensitive but the way they were saying it, it made me feel like they were really calling the Trump voters dumb.

Thumper
11-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Watching Fareed Zakaria on CNN right now and he has two guests from different polling companies for a 3-way discussion. They think some of the polls were off due to the fact many of them thought Hillary would have more of the "more educated" Republicans voting for her. WTF?

johnboy
11-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Universities used to be bastions of free thought and innovative ideas. Today, from what I've seen and read it is the opposite. Toe the line, think what we tell you is correct or else.

I have a high school education but have worked with many college educated people and never felt that I was outclassed in the thinking department, no matter the prejudice against me.

DeputyDog
11-13-2016, 04:09 PM
I used to work with a guy kind of indirectly. He actually worked for another department. He had a Phd and several master's degrees. He had been an engineer for Ford but really wanted to be a cop. His wife divorced him when he graduated from the academy. She had told him she was going to when he started and followed through with it.

That man obviously very smart but had absolutely no common sense and had no business being a cop. He ended quitting after a few years.

Kinda proves being book smart isn't everything.

Chicken Dinner
11-13-2016, 04:53 PM
Two of the best educated people I know don't have college degrees and two of the least educated people I know have advanced degrees. The two best are life long learners and readers and I'd be shocked if the two least have even read a book since they graduated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ3
11-13-2016, 06:49 PM
I don't have a degree but consider myself far from uneducated. I have gotten many comments over the years that amount to "wow, I wouldn't have guessed you were uneducated." Or worse. It rubs me the wrong way sometimes if I feel there was judgement sent my way. Most times I don't give a flip.

It's microagression toward uneducated racist bigots!

All I can say is books are good.

Captain
11-13-2016, 07:16 PM
E8128

BarryBobPosthole
11-13-2016, 07:21 PM
I prolly have enough hours if I gathered them all up at Community College of the Air Force, the two years I spent as a music major in jr college and all the hours I took at community colleges in Tampa, Dallas, and Denison, Tx for an associates or two. But I'm probably prouder of the second class FCC license I got in '77. It was the CCNA of its time back in the day.

Not having a degree didn't seem to hold me back in my career until the last few years with Verizon where they love their MBAs. Good riddance. I forgot more about telecom than those smarmy bastards will ever know. But I'm not bitter. Much.

Still, its foolish to be upset about being called umeducated by the media or anyone else. We're all captains of our own boats. I respect folks that have 'em because they started something and finished that was kind of difficult. But so did I.

BKB

airbud7
11-13-2016, 07:40 PM
I have a Core i7 5960K @ 4.6.....Get Some!!!!

BarryBobPosthole
11-13-2016, 07:48 PM
Whut?

Captain
11-13-2016, 07:58 PM
?????

airbud7
11-13-2016, 08:00 PM
Whut?

take another puff Bro...........

BarryBobPosthole
11-13-2016, 08:04 PM
I ain't the one typing gibberish fuckstick.

Puff on this.

BKb

airbud7
11-13-2016, 08:20 PM
I ain't the one typing gibberish fuckstick.

Puff on this.

BKb

Sorry Barry/ Love you Bro.........I Just woke up and posted the first thing on my head....

Love Ya'll..

BarryBobPosthole
11-13-2016, 08:24 PM
Haha, its no biggie.

I think you might be in the wrong thread.

BKB

Thumper
11-13-2016, 08:28 PM
I guess he's saying he has a computer and doesn't need a degree. Or sumpin' like that.

Thumper
11-13-2016, 08:29 PM
He's talkin' about a hot processor the gamers use. (I think)

airbud7
11-13-2016, 08:45 PM
He's talkin' about a hot processor the gamers use. (I think)

Only NASA and me ^......gamers can only wish!...

quercus alba
11-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Intellectuals have long considered themselves the gentry of the world. Bunch of goobers for the most part, don't know shirt from shinola. When the zombie apocalypse comes, they'd be the first ones eaten or starve to death

LJ3
11-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Can't disagree with that!

johnboy
11-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Right on, QA!

BarryBobPosthole
11-13-2016, 09:34 PM
So the general drift here is that knowledge, education, and trying to better ones self makes a person not worth a shit.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Surprise surprise.

And history repeats.

Enjoy your revolution comrades.

Down with the intellectuals!

BKB

airbud7
11-13-2016, 10:04 PM
Common sense rules all/

Thumper
11-13-2016, 10:05 PM
I believe the whole point is, the Liberals don't believe there's any such thing as an educated Conservative. Even as I was watching that show on CNN today, they referred to the Democratic voters as "college educated", but the Conservatives they thought would vote for Hillary, were referred to as "the more educated Republicans". It's like they can't say the words "radical Islam" and now can't say "college educated Republicans". It's like they believe those are non-existent. I'd say that makes them arrogant ass-holes as far as I'm concerned.

BarryBobPosthole
11-13-2016, 10:21 PM
Arrogant assholes abound. Your boy Rump, for example, a graduate of a prestigious business school.

But talk of anti-intellectualism is dangerous. Ask the millions of teachers, professors, scientists, and so on killed by Stalin. A whole bunch of Armenian academics were slaughtered right around the time WWI started. Pol Fucking Pot and the Kmer Rouge massacred as many of the higher educated as they could. The list goes on and on and on.

America was built on the foundation that everyone has an equal chance and everyone is entitled to the dignity that they earn. That equally includes the ones who worked hard to earn academic degrees and the ones that build automobiles in factories.
And there are as many dumb fuck assholes as there are intellectual ones.

So lets get back to blaming participation trophies as the root of all evil shall we?

BKB

Thumper
11-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Wow, you sure brought back some memories here P-hole. I headed (with two others) the Cambodian mission and Saloth Sar (Pol Pot) was a major target of mine. I even taped a pic of Sar on the face of a piece of my equipment. I've been to Phnom Penh (and Siem Reap) and have personally witnessed the stacks of skeletons and giant piles of skulls. I have pics around here someplace. Sar was a brutal mf'er.

I have a cool story about a (sniper) assassination attempt, but I honestly don't know if it's declassified or not. I personally examined the pockmark in a stone column made by the missed shot. I was going to get a photo of it, but had a Commie "minder" with me at the time. (I worked the Cambodian mission for two years).

johnboy
11-13-2016, 11:58 PM
Barry, I respect you greatly but you seem to be determined to take the worst possible interpretation of whatever anyone not of your particular political bent happens to say.

You are sounding bitter and it don't suit you. Peace, love, dove man.

Thumper
11-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Retirement made him crotchety. ;)

quercus alba
11-14-2016, 12:34 AM
My baby is in his second year going for a PHD in chemical engineering. He already has a BA in in physics and chemistry. His education far exceeds 90+% of the American people. He's in San Francisco right now presenting some kind of research he's been working on in the lab. Yet he tempers his education with logic and never looks down on people because they have a lesser education. He doesn't consider himself more worthy than the layman when it comes to decision making. He utilizes his intellect without wielding it like a club as do many academics/politicians/lawyers/professors. Having an education is a wonderful thing, it brings about many innovative ideas to benefit us all. Many people may specialize or even excel in a particular field but that doesn't make them a know it all in every field or give them any special rights. Big deal if you can figure PI to a thousand places in your head, can you change your own oil? So what if you can translate ancient Sanskrit, can you put a new belt on your washer? Education is useful in it's place but it's not the end all achievement and doesn't entitle you to anything except maybe the right to be an authority in your own field. Some of the dumbest people on earth have a degree in something or the other.

airbud7
11-14-2016, 01:32 AM
dam qa^.....that was beautiful bro....

Why Did The Page Change???

airbud7
11-14-2016, 02:48 AM
Mankind is us............everything else is well>......something else.

Thumper
11-14-2016, 05:46 AM
Excellent post Q/A, and so true. I have a family member with a degree who can barely spell his name. (Spellcheck hasn't always been around, but is his best friend these days) Personally, I attended college as a Mech. Engineering major and was also working part time. (I didn't have time to protest elections) Prob. is, we had this thing called the Vietnam Conflict going on at the time and I decided it would be a smart move to get the military out of the way, then finish school on the GI Bill. Once I got home, making a living got in the way of going for my degree.

It never really became an issue as I already knew I didn't really want to be an engineer. The main reason I chose the major was my high grades, my interest in mechanics and the fact Engineering was "the thing to do" in those days. I had a pretty successful career regardless, had tons of job related training through various trade related schools/classes, and eventually started my own business which was very successful for 20 years. I have no regrets, but I do resent being referred to by a certain political party as "uneducated". That said, I do respect the work and dedication it takes to earn a degree, but I've pretty much made up my mind it's really not totally necessary unless you're entering a "professional" field.

LJ3
11-14-2016, 10:50 AM
Arrogant assholes abound. Your boy Rump, for example, a graduate of a prestigious business school.

But talk of anti-intellectualism is dangerous. Ask the millions of teachers, professors, scientists, and so on killed by Stalin. A whole bunch of Armenian academics were slaughtered right around the time WWI started. Pol Fucking Pot and the Kmer Rouge massacred as many of the higher educated as they could. The list goes on and on and on.

America was built on the foundation that everyone has an equal chance and everyone is entitled to the dignity that they earn. That equally includes the ones who worked hard to earn academic degrees and the ones that build automobiles in factories.
And there are as many dumb fuck assholes as there are intellectual ones.

So lets get back to blaming participation trophies as the root of all evil shall we?

BKB

Dude, the backlash here is from people who have been labelled as uneducated, racist, hick, uninformed, xenophobic, islamaphobic, bigoted and hateful simple because they voted for a candidate that was cut from a different cloth. THAT group is the group that has been attacked and put down. This is not anti-intellectualism, this is a finger in the eye of urban-centric self-important fucks who think they know what's best for the entire nation.

Hint: They don't :)

Come on, man!

Big Skyz
11-14-2016, 11:49 AM
I do find it offensive that the media constantly refers to HRC supporters as well educated, and those that don't have college degrees as uneducated. It's a blatant dig by the media and very intentional. A degree does not make one more intelligent or less intelligent. It does however mean that one finished something that was relatively difficult. If it was easy everyone would have a degree. Others chose a military career, tech school, apprenticeships, or the school of hard knocks. None of it is super easy or defines one's intelligence. Me, I'm well educated in terms of formal education. The only degree left for me to get in progression is a Phd. It wouldn't take me very long to get it, but I'm not particularly interested in earning one, at this point in my life. That said, HRC was a no-go for me. Not because she is a woman, not because she didn't understand politics, not because twice as ugly as an ape, it's because I 100% do not trust her. She should not have been allowed to run, point blank and period. It's truly sad that the final two choices were both poor choices, and that the democratic candidate was not a realistic choice for many Americans, myself included. This is the first time I've ever voted to keep someone out of office, rather than what I wanted to see as a president.

BarryBobPosthole
11-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Dude, the backlash here is from people who have been labelled as uneducated, racist, hick, uninformed, xenophobic, islamaphobic, bigoted and hateful simple because they voted for a candidate that was cut from a different cloth. THAT group is the group that has been attacked and put down. This is not anti-intellectualism, this is a finger in the eye of urban-centric self-important fucks who think they know what's best for the entire nation.

Hint: They don't :)

Come on, man!

Well, the candidate they voted for is racist, uninformed, xenophobic, islamaphobic, bigoted and hateful simple. So what the fuck? Plus people are 'claiming' to be offended by a media that they have steadfastly said was wrong from the beginning.

Sorry you got your feels hurt, okay?

bKB

DeputyDog
11-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Can you give me proof of his racism or Islamaphobia outside of campaign rhetoric? Are there examples of him not hiring people for his companies due to race, gender or religion? If he did hire them did he treat them different, pay them less or otherwise mistreat them?

johnboy
11-14-2016, 12:48 PM
Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement lists name calling as the lowest type of argument in a disagreement.

BarryBobPosthole
11-14-2016, 12:53 PM
Yes, DD, he was fined for not allowing black people to rent his apartments in his buildings twice. He said he couldn't get a fair trial in his Trump U lawsuit because he was Mexican. As for his Islamaphobia, the only thing we have is he said he will stop all Islamic immigration. His buildings were built using undocumented workers, with below average pay, bad safety equipment, and only paid sporadically. There's plenty of documented evidence of his feelings about people of other races and staus. In short, he is the elitist everyone is claiming to get their feelings hurt by.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
11-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Name calling? Whom?

BKB

airbud7
11-14-2016, 12:58 PM
I only wish I was half as smart as ya'll folk and I am proud to be a member here/.... On a side note anyone here got a front cap for a zebco 33?....mine fell off the truck yesterday.

BarryBobPosthole
11-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Which year? The old ones or the new ones?

BKb

Chicken Dinner
11-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Look you guys, I have no problem if you all lined up HRC and Trump side by side, compared their flaws and decided to go with Trump. But, don't try to whitewash the documented history of the things he's done and said. If you do that, you're no better than the Clinton apologists. Just freaking own your choice.

Chicken Dinner
11-14-2016, 01:49 PM
I might have a newer one if I didn't throw it away when the reel crapped out on me. They don't make those 33's like they used to.

Big Skyz
11-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Pretty bad when he was still a better choice than the alternative, that says more about HRC than it does about anything. Both are scum, one is just slightly less toxic.

LJ3
11-14-2016, 01:53 PM
Saying people that voted for a Candidate has those same flaws is just dishonest and lazy. There are some perspectives that would call that specific behavior, bullying. Bullying and shaming. Shame on you bullies!

If one is gen-you-wine-lee interested to know why many people voted for Trump, there's lots of very solid, logical reasons for doing so.

Captain
11-14-2016, 02:16 PM
This is all hog-wash
Trump = Savior
Hillary = Devil
There is that the way you think I think Posty.
If so you ain't remembering very well. I've been lock step with Thumper and Big Sky one this one.
But I am genuinely damn glad Hillary lost!
That is one lying, evil bitch.

BarryBobPosthole
11-14-2016, 02:17 PM
That's just like, your opinion man.

BKB

Captain
11-14-2016, 02:20 PM
My opinion with a shit Load of evidence behind it.
No way there could be that much smoke without fire under it.
And your view of my opinions are your opinion! ;)

LJ3
11-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Speaking of smoke.... BBP seems a little more mellower now.

BarryBobPosthole
11-14-2016, 02:52 PM
No, I've given up on you deplorables.

I did go to see the doc and then worked out. So I'm high on endorphins.

Fuckstick.

BKB

LJ3
11-14-2016, 05:04 PM
douchebagsayswhat?