PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

Captain
11-13-2016, 07:43 PM
I'm sorta in a mood for a new iPhone 7+. Nothing wrong with my current phone other that storage space and I just want one.
I usually just buy my phones outright as we have a truly unlimited plan with Verizon and if we take our free upgrade phone we have to loose that plan.
The phone will cost me outright about $750 bucks plus tax. I can go that way and just own the latest iPhone with tons of storage. OR..... through Apple I can get the same iPhone for about 65 bucks a month with the largest storage and every year they send you the lastest upgraded iPhone. If they come out with an 8+ they send it to you, if they increase storage they send it to you. The advantage is you always have the latest iPhone and you store your emails and contacts on the cloud and everything transfers automatically. Easy peesy. The negative is you don't ever actually own it. Which I really don't see as a negative as I've got a desk drawer full of iPhones i own and will never ever use..
What do y'all think of this? Or should I ask a bunch of educated Hillary supporters??? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-13-2016, 07:48 PM
What does it do that your current one doesn't?

BKB

Captain
11-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Just a lot bigger screen and much more storage. Nothing "great".
But basically 90 or more percent of my internet surfing, posting and searching is all done on the phone.
I have no internet or computer at the farm and stay down there as much or more than I do at home.
And like now I'm home and there is a rather large Mac sitting on my desk not 15 feet away, but I'm posting from my iPhone as I'm watching Eddie's boy Dak trying to whoop up on the Steelers.
I think the larger screen would be nice as much as I stay on it.

BarryBobPosthole
11-13-2016, 08:03 PM
I don't watch much video but my old eyes ain't what they used to be. My iphone5 is paid for next month and I've been wondering if I should go to the bigger one. The biggest question is, will the 7 fit in the chest pocket of my bibs or my shirt pocket?
I need to check them out too.

BKb

Captain
11-13-2016, 08:14 PM
That's what I have now a iPhone 5. I bought it outright 3 or 4 years ago and think with tax I paid just north of 500 for it. It almost makes paying per month and getting a new phone each year the right thing to do?
I do a lot of video and movies on the phone so that's why I'm looking at it.
Cheryl has a 6+ and loves it. I know Arty has one too and likes it. So I guess I'm going with the larger phone this time.

Thumper
11-13-2016, 08:24 PM
Lynn and I both have the 6-Plus. I use the heck out of it at estate sales to research prices, etc. As for the size, I don't think I could ever go back to a small screen. When I see someone with a standard sized screen these days, they look almost microscopic and ridiculously tiny. With all the posting you do from your phone, I think the Plus is a no-brainer.

BarryBobPosthole
11-13-2016, 08:25 PM
Does it fit in your shirt pocket?

BKB

Thumper
11-13-2016, 08:33 PM
I don't carry it in my shirt pocket. Lynn has already dropped two of hers in water after leaning over with her phone in her pocket. One went into the cat's water bowl and the last one went into the toilet when she leaned over to flush it. It will easily fit in a shirt pocket though. (Obviously)

My buddy who goes to estate sales with me carries his in his shirt pocket and drops it on the street almost every time he leans forward to get out of my truck. He's a slow learner!

LJ3
11-13-2016, 08:52 PM
We have that same plan with Verizon. Very happy with it.

Big Muddy
11-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Can't help you much on the phone, Cap.....but, Dak shined and the Cowboys are now 8-1. ;)

Captain
11-14-2016, 06:30 AM
Man that was one hell of a 4th quarter.

BarryBobPosthole
11-14-2016, 09:00 AM
I didn't see the game, but if Jason Garrett starts Romo now over this kid he ought to be fired. Of course, its the Cowboys and we'd never know if its Jerry deciding that or the coach.

BKB

Big Muddy
11-14-2016, 09:19 AM
Jerry "said" he wouldn't interfere, and the decision was entirely Coach Garrett's....but, everyone knows how Jerry can screw the pooch. ;)

That being said, the receivers and the passing defense were horrible in the first half....looked like high schoolers.

Chicken Dinner
11-14-2016, 09:22 AM
At $65/month vs. $750/year (ignoring the time value of money) your break even point is month 12. So, you're only better off if you plan on buying a new phone every year. Personally, I don't want anything bigger than my 6s and my next phone will probably be an android anyway.

Thumper
11-14-2016, 09:41 AM
A drawer full of old phones? Dang, I make good money selling those on eBay! They're doing nothing but depreciating and becoming obsolete sitting in that drawer! Sheeesh!

LJ3
11-14-2016, 10:56 AM
...and my next phone will probably be an android anyway.

You've been hanging around Egghead too much!

Egghead
11-14-2016, 12:12 PM
You've been hanging around Egghead too much!

Hey - I have not influenced said leaning in any way (of which I'm aware). Maybe the best option just stands out to those who are observant? ;)

Chicken Dinner
11-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Apple lost me with the 7 when they did away with the ear bud port and expect me to go out and purchase an expensive blue tooth one. That's total crap. Plus, the closed iTunes system for music has been made pretty much irrelevant with the advent of apps like Spotify. My older boy went with a Galaxy S7 Edge (paid or with his money) and I got to play with it. Frankly, it's a much better mouse trap.

Oh yeah, don't get me started with having replace multiple charging ports on the iPhone devices...

LJ3
11-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Fine! Imaybelookingatthemaswell

Captain
11-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Pay up your fire insurance. :D

LJ3
11-14-2016, 02:40 PM
I have a few 50 gallon drums full of liberal snowflake tears so I can extinguish about 84 million phone fires with those. One drop goes a REALLY long way :)

Captain
11-14-2016, 02:52 PM

BarryBobPosthole
11-14-2016, 03:02 PM
It wasn't me that was butt hurt by the media polls saying Trump's diehard followers are a bunch of louts.

BKb

Nandy
11-14-2016, 06:17 PM
I would not get the 65 a month program, because you are almost breaking even every year and there might be a phone you might like enough to not want to upgrade,or might want to get the phone from another source or God forbid and you see the light and get an android...

I have no upgraded since my Note 3, I was not even going to upgrade to the Note 7 even before it started having issues. I only upgrade if the new phone has a "must have" option.. AT this rate I dont think there is nothing there that I would upgrade to as my Note 3 has all I want and it is paid for.....

BarryBobPosthole
11-14-2016, 06:21 PM
I'm kind of like you, Nandy in that if it works I ain't fixing it. But I screwed up when I got my iphone 5 and got the one with 16g thinking that would be plenty. Now I have to delete something to take a picture. My bad.
So i need to go to a 64g and may as well upgrade to a newer model if I like it. I'm thinking the 6 might be the one I want. Like Hank, I want a damn headphone jack.
BKB

Nandy
11-14-2016, 06:47 PM
I almost got a note 5 until I saw it had no memory card. I just dont see a phone I like enough to sacrifice no having an sc card slot. I use my phone for some serious storage, just my music is over 40 gigs...

Arty
11-15-2016, 03:58 PM
I'd buy outright. And I'd also get the 6+ not the 7. Other than headphones going wireless, there are no major differences. And I bet you can get a 6+ a lot cheaper than the 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain
11-15-2016, 04:27 PM
I thought the 7 had a super cool low light camera that would be great for deer hunting?
I've already bought mrs. Captain a set of wireless headphones and they are SO much better than the wired ones.

Nandy
11-15-2016, 04:54 PM
I hate to have to charge phone then headphones which I dont use all that much but I will assure you they will have no charge if I ever need it...

BarryBobPosthole
11-15-2016, 05:15 PM
The cameras on these phones these days are amazing. I haven't picked up my Nikon in a coon's age.

BKB