PDA

View Full Version : Passed the TORCH yesterday!!!

Fido
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
My nephew from Nashville was here and I gave him my guns that I considered family heirlooms. We all here have them, a firearm that when you look and feel it memories of good times come tooo mind. The guns were a Remington 3200 O/U skeet, it reminded me of the gun club and all the fellowship I was blessed with, my Dad's model 12 Winchester that I converted from a field gun too a trap gun, "had a Moneymaker rib installed on it ",my Remmy model 700ADL 7MM mag that I hunted with in Wyoming for speed goats and mulies, the big country was most impressive there,a Browning T Bolt made in Belgium 22 rimfire, it was given to me by Father Fritz my parish priest who I took fishing and was good friends with, and last a 22 Winchester model 67 single shot, this gun was the most important of all for it represented people and a place namely my Grandparents farm, I lived there the first 2 years of my life as my Dad was in Europe in WW2, we only lived 3 miles away and I spent a lot of my youth there, Xmas and Thanksgiving dinners ment Aunts and Uncles and cousins having a good time and a dinner table with so many dishes that it was hard too find room for your plate.We are a nation of firearms, they're more than just tools, they represent fond memories of people and good times gone by.

jb
12-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Glad they were kept in the family along with the stories and memories that went with them.
I see a lot of really old nice guns in my favorite gun shop and wonder what's the history behind them.
I have three sons, only ones a hunter, the others enjoy shooting now and then but just don't appreciate guns in general.
I also have 5 granddaughters, I'm sure at least one with be a huntress when the time comes.
All the boys will get a choice of what I have, but the bulk will go to #3. I hope I live long enough to see a grandson come along or see one of my granddaughters get involved with the sport of hunting or trap shooting.

BarryBobPosthole
12-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm not quite ready to pass along the tuns I have that I consider 'heirlooms' but I will when it feels right. I feel the same way about them. My grandpa was a carpenter and My stepDad has his old tool box and all of his tools. This is kind of the same deal. You can handle that old brace and bit and just almost see him bent over it and the look on his face when he used it.
I did pass along my Martin D28 to my son Dan at Christmas. He's been in need of something good to play and I thought it was time. Besides, it gives me an excuse to buy that Taylor I've been looking at.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
That's very cool. I've got a few things from my great-grandfather and grandfather and they are among my most prized possessions.

Trav
12-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Kribs version,

I passed the clap I got in a whorehouse in Bankok to a girlfriend here in the states.

Thumper
12-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Hey!! That's not an heirloom! ................ Is it? :confused:

Buckrub
12-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Bill, that's a cool post and a good thing to do. Guns do mean something............to good people.