PDA

View Full Version : Tapatalk for Apple will not support http next year

Nandy
11-16-2016, 08:08 PM
So apple is shutting down any app that is not running https, so if we are to continue having Tapatalk we will have to upgrade our service to https. I still not sure what it all encompass yet. I might as well upgrade the board to the latest rel too... Not a date yet but I will try to do before Dec. Tapatalk android is fine and do not requires https... Apple sucks....

Nandy
11-16-2016, 09:00 PM
Well, it is going to cost about $70.00 a year to keep tapatalk for apple running. We need an SSL certificate which is the $70 for a single year. You can also buy a 2 year or a 3 year certificate which will be cheaper, I think 2 year was about 50some a year, cant recall the 3 year one...

This is affecting all apple apps so there is no way around it, if we are going to use an app from apple to access the site we will have to get the ssl certificate....

Larke, I know you have better things to do and deal with now, we dont need to do this today or next week. Once you feel ready to deal with this call Go Daddy, 480-505-8877, select the web hosting option then dont select any other option, wait for one of them to answer the call. They will need the customer number so have it handy... I had them document what we need so tell them "my delegate called about an SSL certificate we need and I am here to pay", it is documented and they know what to do, all they need is to know is how many years and how you want to pay for it!!! Then let me know and I will flick the software switches....

Captain
11-17-2016, 07:15 AM
Let's hear from the Apple people. Are y'all liking Tapatalk?
I tried it a couple of times but just use Safari. I didn't like the way the app worked with all the adds and crap slowing down load times and eating the battery on my phone. But then again I'm in a low service area.
I'll be glad to go to my account and pay for three years (if that's the best deal) if y'all are gonna use it and you think it's worth the dollars. ??
Let me know.

Thumper
11-17-2016, 08:36 AM
I'm an Apple guy, but very, very seldom post with my phone, but have no problem when I do. I do know, when I tried, I couldn't get pictures to post. But, I use Google. Are you saying if I use Safari, pics will post? If so, what is the need for Tapatalk?

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2016, 08:47 AM
When I post on my iphone I use safari and just turn the phone sideways. When you look at it in landscape it works better for tired old eyes.

I wouldn't use tapatalk.

BKB

Captain
11-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Yes pictures post easy with Safari. In fact I've not tried to post a picture with Tapatalk so I don't know how that part works.
I really liked ForumRunner but it's gone as far as new Apple OS goes. So we were trying the Tapatalk just to see if it was better than using Safari. For me personally it is not, but I stay in low service areas, ie: the SC Farm and many of my deer stands in NC. So with Tapatalk all the adds try to load, in an already weak signal area and it uses up my battery quickly and makes loading the actual threads very slow for me. Whereas Safari loads right up and helps to extend my battery life in these weak areas. I'm sure most of the guys with good service do not suffer these issues and may like the Tapatalk. That's the reason I'm sorta leaving it to them to make the call to spend the money or not?
I'm happy either way.
Nandy works his butt off around this place and did so installing the current version of Tapatalk. But I certainly don't want him going though all the trouble of upgrading everything so it runs smoothly if folks are not going to use it. Not to mention the cost involved in paying for the certificate.
Just looking for direction for the entire secret committee (everyone)

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Well my vote is 'don't do it on account of me'. If somebody wants it, I don't mind kicking in an extra ten bucks a year if that's what is needed.

Speaking of, where do we stand on finances? Did they all go to the Thump Foundation?

BKb

Captain
11-17-2016, 08:58 AM
Thump gets it I spend it. I don't have a clue what is in he kitty. I just re-upped our two domain names in July or August but I never submit for reimbursement on those. I just pay those fees yearly as my "donation".
I'm sure whatever we had in the kitty probably went to Greece and didn't return. ;)

DeputyDog
11-17-2016, 09:00 AM
I had always used safari on my phone and it was ok but as you remember every photo was sideways. I haven't had that problem using Tapatalk but that's just me. I have noticed that it does drain the battery pretty quick. I'll be ok with whatever the secret committee decides.

quercus alba
11-17-2016, 09:11 AM
I use safari, it's adequate for me but then I can make do with beans and greens and cornbread. I'm not a complex feller

Chicken Dinner
11-17-2016, 09:13 AM
I honestly wouldn't post as much from my phone without the App. But, like Barry don't do it on account of me as I'm likely to switch to an Android on the next phone.

Thumper
11-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Ever since we dumped Orion's scam server, the "Official G/H Kitty" has been healthy. I could post a full ledger if you guys want me to, but I'll have to update it first (it's just on paper right now). We took quite a hit last year with my Caribbean Cruise and a really big one a couple months ago with my Mediterranean Cruise, but we still have $707.69 in the pot. In other words, we're healthy right now .... but after my next cruise, we may need to initiate a fund-raiser. :D

If Safari works for Apple users, I personally see no reason for an annual hit on the bank. It sounds like the "Bwana photos" may be a problem, but his sister can always help us out if we need it. ;)

Seriously, I don't know what the sideways pic thing is all about as I've never used it. Surely there's a way to make an adjustment there. (?)

You can also add me to the "don't do it on account of me" column. We have the money if we have the need, but I AM eyeballing a possible cruise this spring, so we need a relatively quick decision. :encouragement:

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2016, 09:41 AM
We're rich!

We should start our own reality show on History Channel. We could all drive new black Chevy Tahoes and meet up for fishing and hunting experiences and high comedy will ensue. I'll bet a network exec would go apey over a story like ours. Good friends for twenty damn years all from a innerwebs chat site.

Who's gonna play the crazy guy?

BKB

Thumper
11-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Who's gonna play the crazy guy? BKB

Ummmmm ....

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/PanadolID/ec17e9dcc854.gif

quercus alba
11-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Len?

Thumper
11-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Len?

Bingo!! :encouragement:

Nandy
11-17-2016, 11:25 PM
Ok, I should have started asking this when the tapatalk came to mention initially...

Exactly what is the problem with Forum Runner and which devices are affected? Maybe there is something we can do with it...

Tapatalk does not seems to drain my battery at all and what advertising are you talking about? I see no advertising at all.....

I have been using tapatalk just because I wanted to see if it was messing up or not. I generally see this site with Firefox on my phone and like Barry I use my phone in landscape....

One last thing, there is absolutely NO REASON WE NEED A SSL CERTIFICATE other than Apples wants to forced its mentality in to others, including their customers... An SSL certificate is needed for encryption while using https (s stands for secure) which is used for secure connections, such as banks, online buying, etc... So you see, other than your password (which is md5 hashed, but not encrypted) there is absolutely no need for encryption for a forum like ours and millions of it. Apple decision is just going to cost many small forums money, if it were me, I say apple kiss my ass, but y'all know that already... Rant done...

It is not too much trouble to get he changes needed for tapatalk to work so I dont care either way. We got until January....

Captain
11-18-2016, 08:01 AM
Nandy "Tapatalk does not seems to drain my battery at all and what advertising are you talking about? I see no advertising at all....."

These are just on my first page where thread topics are listed. If I open a thread a BUNCH more load...

Arty
11-18-2016, 09:06 AM
I like tapatalk a lot. Mucho easier. Even easier than forum runner. The ads are a pain and I think the whole deal would be faster and look a lot cleaner without them. But other than that I really love it. Posting pics is a BREEZE. You can change notifications to your own suiting. And moderators can even moderate from the app.
But I, like everyone else has said... don't do it on account of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nandy
11-18-2016, 05:29 PM
I dont have any advertising show up, BUT I think I bought tapatalk like a gazillion years ago and that might be it. If you get their vip you wont see any advertising, it is $1 a month. Maybe a year package would be cheaper.....

So is forum runner not loading? What is the issue with it? Does it affects Apple only or is it not working for android either?

Captain
11-18-2016, 06:05 PM
I do not know about droid. Latest update from Apple and ForumRunner tanked. I don't know if they will fix it or not.

Nandy
11-18-2016, 08:34 PM
well, think of it, if they want to be an apple app they will have to be https too so we will be in the same boat as with tapatalk...

BarryBobPosthole
11-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Nandy "Tapatalk does not seems to drain my battery at all and what advertising are you talking about? I see no advertising at all....."

These are just on my first page where thread topics are listed. If I open a thread a BUNCH more load...

Captain, I hate to break the news to ya, but the reason you are getting those ads is because you fit the demographic for them.

Is your skin tired?

BKB

Captain
11-18-2016, 08:58 PM
Probably, I guess? Hell I don't know. But if it ain't the rest of me is. ;)

Captain
11-18-2016, 09:04 PM
So I guess Arty get Nipple Pad ads and Len and Thumper get cat food ads and you get ads from Dr Grabow pipes?

BarryBobPosthole
11-18-2016, 09:35 PM
Hahahaha I haven't heard Dr Grabow pipes in a long long time.

BKb

Captain
11-18-2016, 09:48 PM
I'm an old hippie.

Thumper
11-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Heck, they still make 'em in North Carolina and you can find 'em in most any drugstore. Walgreens, Rite-Aid, CVS, etc.

BTW ... they clog too easily. (too much resin) Ta'baccy pipes aren't really ideal for ... ummm ... well ... nevermind. ;)

Captain
11-18-2016, 10:01 PM
The plant is in Sparta NC. I turkey hunted right behind the plant many times.
Oh and Dr Grabow was the go to pipe when I was a youngin.

BarryBobPosthole
11-18-2016, 10:04 PM
I have a corncob pipe in my office that I believe might be an old Dr Grabow model.

BKB

Nandy
11-18-2016, 11:49 PM
FroM site apps to nipples then to pipes. Classic GH tread....