PDA

View Full Version : I never get tired of this stuff ....

Thumper
11-19-2016, 08:01 PM
When I was a kid, the school would always have a fire drill whenever a rocket was launched from the Cape. Back in the day, I never missed an astronaut going up and when I got a little older, a few of us would cut school and go to the beach to watch the launch up close and personal. I've always loved the night launches. Anyway, these days, I keep track of the launch dates/times, then watch them from my pool deck. I just came back inside after watching a weather satellite launch and we have crystal clear skies tonight. A beautiful sight!

If anyone is interested, you can track these things and listen to mission control through the whole process ... both pre-launch and after. The launch is shown, but of course once it's out of sight, they switch over to mission control. What's cool is they even have cameras attached to the outside of the rocket as it heads off. (I'm sure P-hole would like this stuff)

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2016/11/19/watch-live-atlasv-rocket-launch-cape-canaveral-air-force-station-florida-noaa-goesr/94127554/

Nandy
11-19-2016, 10:44 PM
We saw one launch a couple years ago, we were about 6 miles from it I reckon, man, it was awesome. I cant imagine an Apollo rocket heading up...