View Full Version : LIfe Is Good!

Big Skyz
03-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Temps have warmed up. The snow is gone and I was able to get back out on the water. Best of all, the fish were biting really well after work yesterday. All is right in my world today. :)


...and one more

03-12-2015, 11:17 AM
Gorgeous.. Looks like a ball. Have you considered trying fly tackle? Seems like it would be right up your alley.

03-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Wow! Those are some purty fishies! Nice pics Sky!

03-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Artist knows how to fish, and how to take pictures of same.


Big Skyz
03-12-2015, 11:33 AM
HideHunter, I actually have a brandy-new fly rod and reel still sitting in its case from a year ago when I bought it. My oldest son has really got into it. We both bought the rods at the same time, but he got right after it and I've been too distracted by coyote hunting and having great success with my spin outfits. However, I'm going to try making fly fishing more of a priority this year.

Chicken Dinner
03-12-2015, 11:44 AM
That's awesome. My annual trout fishing weekend is coming up in a couple of weeks and I can't wait. Any chance you can share some of your go-to lures or tips. (I've mostly been a smallie fishermen when it comes to freshwater.) I've also tried to get into fly fishing as well and got some equipment. My biggest challenge is getting over the hump on the learning curve. I'll usually try for a bit and then get frustrated because I could be catching fish right now on my spinning gear, give up and go use that. I think I have to leave the spinning gear at home so it's not so easy.

Big Skyz
03-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Chicken Dinner, I basically only use three different lures for trout 90% of the time. Pather Martin spinners, Rapala Minnow the Countdown sinking version (Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout or Black and Silver), and Marabou jigs (with black, or black and red being my go-to jigs.) The other 10% of the time I might use worms, Cast Master (gold or blue/silver), Jaike's Spin-O-Lure (gold with red spots), and Thompson Cyclone (Gold/Red or Rainbow Trout colors). For fishing line if I'm using mono I go with Stren Original is 6 to 10 lbs depending on the size of the fish. I also really like fluorocarbon Seaguar Red box in 6 to 12 lbs. I actually prefer the fluoro but it nicks easily and can break pretty easy if you don't check it often. The reason I prefer it though is because it is virtually invisible under water and it sinks. I like my lures to get down into the strike zone and that usually involves the middle to lower water column. If trout are surfacing a lot, then I use mono and light spinners to get near the top. Just depends on what the fish are doing and water clarity. I also take into account whether it's overcast or sunny. I could go on and on, but I'm probably boring you and everyone else at this point so I'll shuddup.

Chicken Dinner
03-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Not boring at all. I'll look for some of these and report back.