Thread: This is my hunting nemesis, this year....

This is my hunting nemesis, this year....

They are absolutely covering the ground in my hunting woods....heck, food plots are useless....shouldn't have wasted my time and effort on them because the deer aren't touching them....there's so many acorns that they can easily last thru February, maybe even March.

acorns.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    quercus alba
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Correct you are, my friend.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    white or red oak ?, up here, white oak are considered the very best.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

JB, ALL of the oak tree varieties produced abundantly, this year....red, white, cow oak, swamp chestnut, sawtooth, you name it....I've lived here for 67 years, and I've never seen them produce this way....the pic is a handful of whites....they are huge, and I've got pretty big hands.

It's nearly a 1/2 mile walk from my house to my deer stand, along an old logging road....I can hardly take a single step, along that road, without stepping on some variety of acorn.

And, you are correct....any variety of the whites are deer's preference....they'll start scarfing up the little reds, water and live oaks, after the whites are all gone.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 11-25-2016 at 03:27 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Same here Muddy, walking in the oak woods are like trying to walk on marbles. Corn stacking up under feeders and food plots get a gently drive by once in a while.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yep, Cap, and it's dang near pizzing me off.
    Southern Gentleman

Means a good fawn crop. Biologist told me that a buck will father twice as many fawns on an acorn diet as on browse
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Yep, QA, that is just one of the many benefits of a good mast crop....but, it sure screws up the hunting over foodplots....we just hafta hunt differently....more mid-day hunting, and more frequent and longer hours on stand....and, prolly some walking and kicking brush piles.
    Southern Gentleman

Back in the day, we'd just turn loose a pack of walker hounds and load up with double oughts.
    Albert Einstein

Yep, that use to be fun, too, for sure....dog hunting is a thing of the past around these parts.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    We have white oak acorns that 3 of those will fit inside. Cats eye marbles. By the grunzillions. They are sweet all the time. Red Oaks are more bitter and they'll shelve those if white oaks are nearby, but will eat them for the protein if needed. But they make "bitter deer face" when they do. By "we" I mean S. Central Arkansas. I don't know what S.E. Arkansas has, I'll find out this weekend. I expect the same. Corn and food plots are pretty much wasted.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

As quit yer notching and put your feeders in a pine thicket
    Albert Einstein