Thread: 22-250 Load almost there...

22-250 Load almost there...

These are hollow point Berger VLd, 70 grain pushed by 30.8 grains of varget. Im using WLR primers in a hornady shell. The groups were shot at 100 yds with some variable sinds from 5 to 10 mph (I threw one shot from each group out). These are 3 groups, 5 shots each, same load but only changing the seating of the bullet.
    first group is .010 off the lands, avg vel 3096 and the group measures .443 center to center.
    second group was supposed to be .005 off the lands but I made a mistake and they were .007 off the lands, avg vel 3154 and the group measures .295 center to center.
    third group is right on the lands, avg vel 3105and the group measures .408 center to center.

Here they are:

I think I am going for group 2, overall it looks more tight anyway... Im sure with the better optics im installing today and a calm day i can shot better. I was also agravated by another fellow shooter that was trying too hard to teach his kid... That boy will hate going to the range for now on Im sure...

Im not testing any more, I have other stuff to work on but these loads are not showing any pressure signs so I will later on push for more speed. Right not I will call it good and use it for what is left of the season for ranges under 250 and neck shots.

Who else uses a 22.250?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Me, but I don't reload for it. Mine loves Hornady superformance too much.

I figured you were shooting something in that caliber but with lighter bullets. Prairy dogs hunting is in my list.

Your all but driving nails with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nandy, you got it going on with that number 2 group! You really only need to play with the velocity a little and you will have a home run there! Congrats for a great work up!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Thanks for the kind words.
    Went this evening to set up the new vortex scope I got from bearbasin (thanks sky!) and see if I could draw some blood with that rifle. I first did the scope adjustments in a very calm day. You could drop talc and It will go straight down...

What you see there is 4 shots, a previous shot not seen in this target gave me the initial poi and after adjusting for that I shot that 3 shot group all in one hole! Yipee! Then adjusted to what I wanted, 1.10 inch high at 100 yds which is the single hole you see.... Yeah, Im keeping this one....

Sadly, no deer was saw to test the load in real time but the season is not over, I might take off tomorrow and sunday since the wife is working and do some "live" testing! lol!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Nandy, first off that's a pretty decent group in the last pic. Second, speaking of scopes I'm trying to get myself lined out on a new Nightforce for my 6.5 Creedmoor. If I end up loving it, I might put one on my 22-250 as well a little later down the road.

Those damn nightforce are so damn nice and that might be the scope replacing the vortex in the 7mm then I would move that vortex to replace the Leupold on the 3006. I have a problem justifying getting that scope, specially with the work issue but if all goes right I might have one of those in the next 1 or 2 years, screw justifications!!! Lol!