Thread: gritting my teeth...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

gritting my teeth...

I'm just venting for a moment - because you guys could give a ratsass - and anywhere else I post it I'd piss off the neighbors. We have 60 that is a bit of an orphan but has a little bedding area on it the deer love. It is adjacent to about 400 acres of the best deer cover in two counties that is leased to hunt. The guys who have the lease call me regularly wanting to hunt ours.. We're talking 15 acres of timber. "Drives"are still allowed in Iowa so it's a bit of a problem finding a place where someone isn't walking up your butt.

and.. Little history. Before the "lease" I stocked a farm pond on that property and had pretty much exclusive permission to fish it. Of course with the lease - my permission went away. First time they called, I hinted at a "trade".. "Oh no", they said, "You know - liability and all." I just said, "Yep, same for you as for me. You hunt your side of the fence, I'll hunt mine."

So, son has his foot operated on. Can't walk. I go in about 2 weeks ago, spend a couple hours brushing in a blind I can drive right to - set up trail cams.. see lots of deer. Go up this morning to check trail cams.. look up and absolutely - directly - just on the other side of the fence - and *right on top* of the best deer crossing between fields sits a blind. We're talking 100 + yards.

I get on the phone, left a message told them we have an unsafe situation here.. Finally one of the guys gets back to me. No problem, he says - we're not hunting that this season.

Well that helps.. except that son of a bitch sticks out like dog turd on a pool table and the deer around here have gotten plumb smart to pop-up blinds. Biggest problem here is - I've been on a roll here lately. Every freaking thing I do seems to be a "fight".. tired of it. Oh well.

There - Thanks - that helped.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    You know those blinds are fire hazards, it would be a shame if theirs just burnt up one day.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

These days, they'd prolly have a pic of the pyro-perp on some unseen trail cam.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

lol. you're definitely right, Thump.. those things are everywhere. In fact, I had one set up with 8 feet of where they put up their blind until a few days ago. Ahh, maybe it will work out. Just frustrating... When I talked to the guy he said, "There's a good crossing right there." no $h_t..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Sounds like the guy is just wanting to be a dick. Usually those guys end up on the short end of the stick sooner or later
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Do like me and Mallard Fillmore did when got our duck blind encroached on. Sat on the tailgate and played rap music.
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    This doesn't solve your problem, but I bet you are starting to understand why I mostly fish these days...less hassle all the way around.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Do like me and Mallard Fillmore did when got our duck blind encroached on. Sat on the tailgate and played rap music.

Just my luck one of those gangsta bucks would run right up to his blind looking for his homies
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Well, my worst fears were realized. Went from seeing deer constantly on the trail cams to basically "zip". Their blind evidently did its job. He did finally see two does one evening. Last morning I decide to go for broke. We got about 6" of the "1 to 3" snow we were supposed to get. I knew some deer were using my food plot but only bedding about 200 yards away. Remember, son has his foot in a cast - so I have to drive him where he needs to be. Drove right to the edge of the bedding area sans lights, pulled up as close as I dared, jumped out, threw down my low-slung folding chair. Handed him the gun and shooting sticks and backed out. 45 minutes later I hear the shot.

Bwana - you might recognize the barrel.

We had inner loin and eggs for breakfast.

Good job!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Musta got his looks from his mom
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

'Inner loin' reminds me of some of the books I used to like to read.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Great! Glad you guys got one anyways.

That's a fat chunky lookin' doe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    The gun's camo don't match!

Ah, yes.. the camo - and neat story on the adidas sweatshirt.. This has been his "lucky" shirt since he was probably 14. It stays at our house and he only digs it out when things come right down to the wire. (Don't go to the well too often he says ) I can't count the number of times turkeys, deer, his 20+ pound pike - his PB bass, PB crappie - any number of critters have run into trouble because of that shirt.. Oh, and it has to be worn inside/out. I've forgotten how it originally became "the luck shirt" - I'll have to ask him.

I'm still trying to figure out the dog turd on the pool table thing. this is something I have not seen before. Could you provide a graphic or image to illustrate your point?

Glad your son got some meat in the pot!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!