Thread: Decided to Do It

Decided to Do It

I ordered one of those DNA kits from ancestry to see what all is hiding in my woodpile. I'll share results when I get them. I think it takes a month or so.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    My Dad and my MIL are both into the family trees and paid for everyone down through the grandkids to be tested. It's actually pretty interesting and our DNA is actually quite different from the geo/political boundaries we associate with our heritage.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Years ago, when the movie "Roots" came out, everybody was going crazy about searching their ancestry....I told my Dad I wanted to learn about his ancestral history....he looked me straight in the eye, and said, "Leave it alone, boy."....and, I did just that.
    Southern Gentleman

Its never really made much of a difference to me, but I am really curious about how accurate our 'family historians' are. I have a couple of cousins on both sides who've spent considerable time mapping it out. I'm really not sure of what to expect in the results.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha, maybe you're some kin to "Crazy Horse"....didn't he pass thru Okla. a couple of times???....maybe he did some diddling, along the way.
    Southern Gentleman

That would explain one horse like appendage.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Wanna get a little Good Hunting wager going?

Ya' think P-holes results will come back showing he has roots in Kenya and he's a distant relative of the Obamas?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Nah, he's Injun....with a horse appendage.
    Southern Gentleman

And that kind sir, would be considered horseshit!

Well, I meant mini horse.
    Southern Gentleman

The injun part is one of the family controversies between those who are supposed to know these things. On my natural mom and dad's family there isn't anyone on the rolls. That is all on my stepDad''s side where EVERYBODY is on the rolls.
    But one of my great grandmothers on my Mom's side is purported to be of some sort of NA descent, but it was a big fucking family secret. And so it goes, on and on.

I'm pretty sure my people are English/Irish for the most part.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I'd wager $10 I'm a Euro-Mutt.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Kinda same here P-hole. We're "supposedly" German (dad's side) and Dutch (mom's side), but I remember hearing as a kid that my mom had a bit of Cherokee in her bloodline. No clue what the facts are.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    So, here's the thing. A lot of what we consider to be "English/Irish" is actually Norse. So, the DNA can be pretty cool. Take my MIL (please!) for example. She's 100% Italian, can trace her ancestry back to 15th century Italy and is the first in her family born in the US. Genetically, she's a complete mongrel from all the areas of the Mediterranean Sea. Italy, the Baltics, North Africa and the largest portion Persia. If you think about patterns of travel in ancient/medieval times, this makes perfect sense vs. the geopolitical boundaries we traditionally think of in our ancestry.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Funny you should post this , I just ordered a DNA kit for my wife this morning. After 50 years of separation from two brothers in Taiwan, she suddenly decides she wants to see what's out there. Personally I don't care what's out there, I've got too many kin folks as it is. Unless of course I've got an old rich uncle that's sick on his death bed
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    So, here's the thing. A lot of what we consider to be "English/Irish" is actually Norse. So, the DNA can be pretty cool. Take my MIL (please!) for example. She's 100% Italian, can trace her ancestry back to 15th century Italy and is the first in her family born in the US. Genetically, she's a complete mongrel from all the areas of the Mediterranean Sea. Italy, the Baltics, North Africa and the largest portion Persia. If you think about patterns of travel in ancient/medieval times, this makes perfect sense vs. the geopolitical boundaries we traditionally think of in our ancestry.
    I read a book about the Roman 10th Legion and they served in all those places, plus what is now England and Spain. They were some travelling fools back in those days.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    The Norse raped, pillaged and plundered (not to mention traded) their way across most of Europe and the Mediterranean basin for hundreds of years and brought many slaves back to the homeland. I have a friend whose family came from Iceland and she traced her heritage back to Persia.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Funny you should mention it.. my sister just did that. The Murray's are Scots, of course, with a lot of history. Depending on which "history" you like one of our guys either commanded William Wallace or served under him. She had been involved in the whole Celtic games thing - even to the wearing of kilts and running a "Murray" booth. When she sent it in I told my wife, "she is really going to be pissed when she finds out we're mostly Swede" (my mom's side). Talk about rocking the boat.. .. comes back that we are like 57% German.. Now get this, according to info they sent her, that's more than the average of most German citizens currently living there..

Did I ever tell you one of my ancestors died in a concentration camp?.. yep, fell out of guard tower.. sorry
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

If I sent mine in, I'd probably owe them for a machine, it would blow up!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Pretty sure Ragnar Lothbrook was my Dad.

Evar the Boneless prolly sired Jimmy "my wee wee burns" Kribbs.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post

BKB
    Is it the nose like on Thumper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I was thinking more like a horse's ass!

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    Funny you should mention it.. my sister just did that. The Murray's are Scots, of course, with a lot of history. Depending on which "history" you like one of our guys either commanded William Wallace or served under him. She had been involved in the whole Celtic games thing - even to the wearing of kilts and running a "Murray" booth. When she sent it in I told my wife, "she is really going to be pissed when she finds out we're mostly Swede" (my mom's side). Talk about rocking the boat.. .. comes back that we are like 57% German.. Now get this, according to info they sent her, that's more than the average of most German citizens currently living there..

Did I ever tell you one of my ancestors died in a concentration camp?.. yep, fell out of guard tower.. sorry
    A lot of people in the midwest that had any German descent kind of put it under the covers during WWI. And then of course they were quite the immigrants those German folk.

The Romans kicked y'all ass though.

bKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Well, I sent my spit into them this morning. After this past week I wouldn't be surprised if it came back saying I am 50% corn, 25% pears, and 25% cherries.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

BKB
    You misspelled mouse.

Well, I sent my spit into them this morning. After this past week I wouldn't be surprised if it came back saying I am 50% corn, 25% pears, and 25% cherries.
    BKB
    Yea------- nah, you might should have detoxes for a week or two. Prolly gonna come back you are Irish.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

BKB
    I think he's saying he's fruity. Looks like Arty converted him to spandex
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I think he's saying he's fruity. Looks like Arty converted him to spandex
    I didn't want to say anything, but I was missing several pair of Danskins when I got home. I think they may be in Oklahoma now.

Lord, but y'all are some deplorBle sumbeeches.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!