Thread: This will raise some hackles

This will raise some hackles

Since we border a state that allows deer to be hunted with dogs, I expect there'll be some big time arguing over this one here. I've never understood why people think it is morally wrong to hunt deer with dogs and yet will hunt all kinds of other game with them. So I have no ethical issues with it whatsoever.
    Preference? I'd 'prefer' to hunt deer where dogs aren't used. It can be fun to listen to a good race and to try to get in front of dogs on a hot trail. But that's pretty uch sitting in a pickup drinking coffee and listening to the dogs and then racing to the known crossings. Personally I prefer to hunt from the ground or from a blind. Still hunting or creeping along like a big injun can be fun, but I've never found it to be too productive. But that's a preference. Using dogs to track wounded game sounds logical I guess. Losing animals to tough or bad shots though is part of the whole deal and it makes me think there'd be more cripples if people knew they could dog the animal if they didn't get a kill shot. I guess there's downsides to any decision.

BKB

http://newsok.com/blood-trackers-pro...rticle/5531291
    Viva Renaldo!

Don't get me started...
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I wouldn't say I'm against hunting deer with dogs. I can say that I've done it a couple of times with 2 different clubs and it really didn't feel like hunting. What you describe of sitting in a truck drinking coffee just about sums it up. To me, this isn't hunting. Figuring out a place where deer are, where they travel, planning, waiting, etc are the best parts of the hunt for me. Dropping 50 dogs on a block and racing in your trucks to the other side is dumb to me. But to each his own.

The real problems I have with dog hunting are dogs trespassing on private land. I know dogs can't read signs, but hunters can. And there's MANY a dog hunter that intentionally drop dogs where they KNOW the dog will run through private property.
    Another problem I have is that it really screws with leasing property in these parts (in my opinion). These dog clubs can hunt SO MUCH land in a day's time that they won't just lease 500-600 acres. They want it ALL. They can drop 20-30 dogs on one side of 1,000 acres and have the whole place "hunted" in the matter of a few hours. The last club I hunted with had 60 members or so. Dues I think we're 500$ a year. They had around 6,000 acres across several counties. A couple of parcels I was told no member had ever stepped foot on. They would get to the gate, drops dogs, and drive to the other side.
    I don't have an ethical issue with it. It just pisses me off more than anything else because down here every big club is a dog club. I just want to hang a stand on a tree and sit in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk