I wouldn't say I'm against hunting deer with dogs. I can say that I've done it a couple of times with 2 different clubs and it really didn't feel like hunting. What you describe of sitting in a truck drinking coffee just about sums it up. To me, this isn't hunting. Figuring out a place where deer are, where they travel, planning, waiting, etc are the best parts of the hunt for me. Dropping 50 dogs on a block and racing in your trucks to the other side is dumb to me. But to each his own.

The real problems I have with dog hunting are dogs trespassing on private land. I know dogs can't read signs, but hunters can. And there's MANY a dog hunter that intentionally drop dogs where they KNOW the dog will run through private property.
Another problem I have is that it really screws with leasing property in these parts (in my opinion). These dog clubs can hunt SO MUCH land in a day's time that they won't just lease 500-600 acres. They want it ALL. They can drop 20-30 dogs on one side of 1,000 acres and have the whole place "hunted" in the matter of a few hours. The last club I hunted with had 60 members or so. Dues I think we're 500$ a year. They had around 6,000 acres across several counties. A couple of parcels I was told no member had ever stepped foot on. They would get to the gate, drops dogs, and drive to the other side.
I don't have an ethical issue with it. It just pisses me off more than anything else because down here every big club is a dog club. I just want to hang a stand on a tree and sit in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk