Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok iPhone techies ...

Ok iPhone techies ...

I just upgraded from an iPhone 6-Plus to an iPhone 7-Plus. I saved everything to "the cloud" and spent something silly like 20 frigging hours transferring everything from the 6 to the 7.

BUT ... my text messages did not transfer. I hit my old buddy Google and it appears that's just how these things work. WTF??? I see a few programs you can plop $30 or so down to buy a program to do it, but that sounds stupid to me, Surely Apple didn't "f"-up and not afford a way to do this, so I hope there's a way to transfer text messages! I want to get this done so I can wipe my old phone clean and sell it, but right now I'm on hold until I can figure this out. I have some important texts (a ton of 'em) that I need to save as they could be needed in a (possible) future lawsuit. If I could simply print them, I wouldn't necessarily need to transfer them to my new phone. I could do screen shots and email them to myself, then print them, but that would be super time consuming. Anyone?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Not sure this will work. But worth a try.

Let's say you want to pull up text history between me and you. But you don't have the conversation saved

Go like you sending a "new" text to me. Send me something. See if that doesn't them backload previous texts between us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure that'll work but worth a try

Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I have some important texts (a ton of 'em) that I need to save as they could be needed in a (possible) future lawsuit. ?
    You texting Thai women with Adam's apples again???

His pussy doctor's number is in there probably. All the new cats get a checkup.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    If you spent 20 hours, you're definitely doing something wrong. It doesn't take more than an hour for my Mrs. to do mine.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Everything I had in my iPhone 5 was on the cloud. I bought a 7 plus and it took MAYBE 20 or 25 minutes to load everything from the cloud to my new phone. Pictures, movies, music, text, voice mails etc...
    You need to get some help. Wonder if Bwana's sister does iPhones???
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    . It doesn't take more than an hour for my Mrs. to do mine.
    If you had as many cat pictures on the cloud as Jimmy does, it'd take a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    If you had as many cat pictures on the cloud as Jimmy does, it'd take a lot longer.
    Good point
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I'm on an old DSL wi-fi system which I've had since dial-up fell by the wayside. That probably has a lot to do with it. The gal who sold me the phone (who works for Verizon) said it took hers 24 hours to transfer. That was as I was purchasing the phone, before I did it myself. I didn't ask what type of service she was using.

But, that's all behind me. My issue is transferring TEXTS. The iPhone doesn't seem to do that. It also doesn't appear to support transferring texts to a wireless printer. I NEED copies (or transfers to my new phone) of these texts before wiping my old phone clean.

BTW, Arty, I think you may have been sipping a bit of Cappy's cherry juice when you posted your suggestion above. I'm not persactly sure WTF you said!

It's worked for me before. But not on deleted texts, just old texts that were no longer in my history but still my phone

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    Not sure this will work. But worth a try.

Let's say you want to pull up text history between me and you. But you don't have the conversation saved

Go like you sending a "new" text to me. Send me something. See if that doesn't them backload previous texts between us.
    Ummm, this is what I was referring to. I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. I "think" you're suggesting I send you a text and .... well, I guess you lost me there.

Ok, I think I see what you're saying. No, that doesn't work. The reason I know is, I deleted all unneeded texts from my old phone (only saved the important ones) before I attempted the transfer. After the transfer, there were no texts at all on my new phone. The only texts on my new phone now are from any texts (sent or received) since I started using the new phone. Take Lynn for example, we text many times daily. The only texts that show from her are the ones she's sent in the last few days.

Did you try the link I had in my post?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Did you try the link I had in my post? BKB
    Oooops! Sorry P-hole, I was searching around. Actually, I'm downloading iTunes as we speak. Maybe I can use their 3 mo. trial to do this, then cancel.

Ok, I think I see what you're saying. No, that doesn't work. The reason I know is, I deleted all unneeded texts from my old phone (only saved the important ones) before I attempted the transfer. After the transfer, there were no texts at all on my new phone. The only texts on my new phone now are from any texts (sent or received) since I started using the new phone. Take Lynn for example, we text many times daily. The only texts that show from her are the ones she's sent in the last few days.
    Yes that's what I meant. Didn't guarantee you it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Did you try the link I had in my post? BKB
    Well crap! It was just a teaser. I downloaded iExplorer and ran a back-up from my old phone. (it only took about a minute) Then I signed up for the 90-day trial. I opened the app and all my data was there, including my text messages. BUT ... when I tried to transfer, print or save them to a file ... IE wanted $40.00! I guess the "free" trial is just a teaser to show you what you COULD have. Dang! There has to be an easier way than to pay $40 just for a few text messages!

Back to point A ....

Ah, sell a razor and give them 40 bucks and get it done...
    You will spend that 40 bucks 20 times over trying to get it done for free...

Can I borrow $40? I'll gladly repay you on Tuesday.

Why TF would you want to transfer text messages? They're supposed to be temporary, disposable, quick messages. Not emails. You've been living in the sun too long. It's affecting your brain. I still love you, though.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Let's just say there was a long back and forth text conversation between friends. Things went sour and there could possibly be a future lawsuit. I NEED those messages to verify what was said in those conversations.

I really think Apple sucks big weenies with their lack of text transfer from one Apple product to another. Phone to phone should NOT be that difficult. All my emails, photos, videos and apps were a piece of cake. I have no clue why they exclude text messages with their change-over. MANY people text with business clients ... those texts can be important to some working stiff ... especially if needed for legal proceedings. It's just plain stupid that they can't be transferred through normal procedures.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    connect iPhone 6 to home wifi/ send old text to your email or new iPhone 7......

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    connect iPhone 6 to home wifi/ send old text to your email or new iPhone 7......
    That's too easy AirBud.... if he does that he will have nothing to complain about.

Airbud ...That's how I transferred all my data, photos, apps, etc. TEXT MESSAGES do not transfer.

Do a Google search ... you'll see a bazillion complaints. I have no clue why Apple sets it up this way.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    turn on iPhone 6/ go to text message/ turn on iPhone 7/ aim camara @ iPhone 6/ snap picture/ Go to pictures on iPhone 7.........VALA!

I have no clue why Apple sets it up this way.
    Because text are temporary.... goof.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Because text are temporary.... goof.
    Why? Who makes that determination? If you play around on the web, you'll see that many, MANY people have the same dilemma, most for the same reason as mine. I guess you can put a check-mark on the plus side of the Android column for this one. Their system easily transfers text messages.

Your link didn't tell me anything new and suggests the same program P-hole mentioned ... where they want you to cough up the 40-bucks! Having to pay for some silly bullshit item like this kinda sticks in my craw ... it's the principle of the thing at this point. My last resort is to go down to Verizon, hand both phones to their techies and say, "YOU transfer these MF'ing texts or you can kiss my rosy red ass!" (I'll let you know how that works out)