Thread: Interesting Shotgun Story

Interesting Shotgun Story

My good friend Mallard Fillmore hunted ducks right beside me with a Winchester model 12 for many years. Frankly, I always thought the whole action felt 'loose'. His was prone to jam once in a while. Or so he claimed when the shooting was over and he had no ducks down. His was a later model he bought to replace his old gun when steel shot and higher chamber pressures came about, so its likely a post 70's gun. Like me, he didn't make enough money in the 70s to spend on shotguns so it may be late 70s or early 80s vintage. He still uses it to this day once in a while. I know he has killed more ducks than most any human you'll ever meet with it.. I never knew it had such a storied history.
    I've always been a remmy guy, so I hunted 870s along side of his winny. I still have like five of them in my safe. Now we both have Brownings and Benellis. But I can tell you what owns our hearts.

Anyways, this is a cool story.

And my brother has a model 1897 that has a finish that looks like nickel or stainless. Its definitely not blued. Its a cool old gun too.

BKB

http://www.wearethemighty.com/articl...oth-world-wars
    Viva Renaldo!

I slam fired a shotgun once. Pretty empowering
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Ithaca Model 37 shotguns in 12, 16 and 20 gauges are made to slam fire.
    If you hold the trigger rearward and shut the slide they will fire every time the slide shuts.
    Done it a zillion times.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    My best duck hunting buddy back in the day hunted with one of those Ithaca Model 37's and slam fired it once when he was off balance and fell backward in the blind. That will definitely get your attention when it goes off next to your head.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    My best duck hunting buddy back in the day hunted with one of those Ithaca Model 37's and slam fired it once when he was off balance and fell backward in the blind. That will definitely get your attention when it goes off next to your head.
    There is nothing like the sound a M12 makes when you rack a shell,I know of no other shotgun that can even come close tooo duplicating it.