Thread: Hunting licenses.....Thump might like these....

Hunting licenses.....Thump might like these....

Saw this on one of my local hunting sites....it seems the first MS hunting licenses were issued as badges....now, since the badges have become a thing of the past, they have become very collectible....this 1940 badge showed up for sale for $275 bucks.

mhl2.jpg

mhl.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

I just remembered that I had saved one of our old hunting club badges from back in the '50's....perhaps, the MS DOW's use of the badges prompted hunting clubs to use them back then, also.

mhl3.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Now that is neat.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Cool stuff BM

ever since I was a kid I thought it was stupid to be required to have a license just to FISH!
    I don't think the founding fathers would like it neither.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I remember goose and deer hunting over in Maryland back in the 80's and you had to display your license on your back in a little pouch. I'm not sure if they still do that or not. It's not nearly as cool as a button though.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    I remember goose and deer hunting over in Maryland back in the 80's and you had to display your license on your back in a little pouch. I'm not sure if they still do that or not. It's not nearly as cool as a button though.
    I don't know how it is where you live, but there was a time in the 40's all the way to the early 60's where there hardly a deer to be found in Arkansas and Oklahoma. I don't know what shape the fisheries were in then. But we still have a lot of people with the same mentality, kill them all and they are MY resource and I'll kill as many as I want because its my heritage. I especially see it in fishermen around here. There's no thought of tomorrow in probably something over half the fishermen here.
    If we didn't have game laws and the revenue to hire wardens to enforce them, we wouldn't have a fish. They'd be all dynamited or telephoned or gill netted out. Look whats happened with hogs.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Pretty much the same here. Deer populations were definitely turning by the mid to late 80's and exploded shortly thereafter as they probably waited a bit long on liberalizing the doe harvest. "Doe Days" where you are permitted to shoot does are regulated on a county by county basis with typically pretty liberal amounts (ie, all season long in many cases) East of the Blue Ridge and more restrictive, as little as two days per season West of the Blue Ridge. The length of the firearms deer season is also split up similarly and runs from two to six weeks. In the 1980's there was a complete moratorium on the taking of Rockfish (striped bass). Those days are behind us, but there still bad actors particularly in the commercial arena where they'll set illegal drift and gill nets.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

This is what happens when you don't have game and fish laws. Upper Red Lake in Minnesota is a poster child for killing a fishery. The chippewa lobbied and got rights to do whatever they wanted to do on upper Red Lake. It didn't take them long to fuck it up.

People just effing piss me off sometimes.

BKB

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/13...-without-pain/
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Pretty much the same here. Deer populations were definitely turning by the mid to late 80's and exploded shortly thereafter as they probably waited a bit long on liberalizing the doe harvest. "Doe Days" where you are permitted to shoot does are regulated on a county by county basis with typically pretty liberal amounts (ie, all season long in many cases) East of the Blue Ridge and more restrictive, as little as two days per season West of the Blue Ridge. The length of the firearms deer season is also split up similarly and runs from two to six weeks. In the 1980's there was a complete moratorium on the taking of Rockfish (striped bass). Those days are behind us, but there still bad actors particularly in the commercial arena where they'll set illegal drift and gill nets.
    I haven't been hunting quite near as long as some of you, but the first few seasons I hunted as a kid in Kentucky, the rifle season was 7 days. They had early and late muzzle loader which were each a week long, and a 60 day or so bow season. You were allowed either 2 bucks, or one buck and one doe. That's IT. Total... not for each season. This would have been very late 80's.
    Quality management and fees from license and tags brought'em back big time.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I have the "lifetime" hunting license my Dad was issued in 1946 when he came home from WWII. Indiana rewarded all of the vets with one for their service.

Of course that only lasted a few years and they were no good.

Indiana is much the same way with the wildlife. In the mid-70's, it was something to talk about if you saw a deer in Northeast Indiana. Now in my county alone there are a couple thousand legally harvested. Who knows how many are poached or hit by cars. When I was in high school in the mid to late 80's it was a very big deal to see a turkey. Now no one gives them a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."