Thread: Arguing over a day'um banded duck.....

Arguing over a day'um banded duck.....

Saw this crazy sheeit on another hunting site:

"""Alright I got a pissed member. Killed a band yesterday, and there were 3 people in the blind. Two of which are members and 1 guest. Decided to draw cards, and the guy pissed drew a 2, other guy drew an Ace. Alright everything is okay until last night when the guy that drew an Ace killed a band last year by himself. So here is rule that was set wayyyy back when (I didn't know we have a band rule, and I have killed 4 in 4 years.). A rule of which I have never voted on, and 4 other members have not voted on . Only 3 members left that were in the club to begin with.

There are 8 members. If a banded duck is killed, and a member has harvested a band before, then that member cannot draw cards for the band. The only way a member that has won or killed a band to get another one is to outright kill it by himself (no members present). Other than that members that have a band have to wait until every member gets a band before he can draw again.
    You have to be present
    You have to shoot on the banded bird, however this is up in the air since one can lie and say oh I was in on it.

I have never heard of such crap in my life. I have always been one of which if we kill a bird, and it is banded we draw cards. You might get the band every time, but I do not care. I sure can't imagine killing a band and saying well here you are since you do not have one. Ps we are talking about a 38 year old man, not kids.

My opinion is this. If you shoot on a bird and it is banded then we draw cards. If I did not shoot or know I killed the band, then I do not want any part of it. Just like you shouldn't if you didn't kill it, or shoot at it."""
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Thank God I can hunt without being a member of a hunting club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I've killed thousands of ducks and never killed a banded one. That has to be alost statistically impossible.

But I've never hear of that card drawing tradition. In our blind, the person who killed it got it. And if there was an argument they worked it out in one way or the other.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

You are quite the duck hunting statistic, Postie, and got some 'po azz luck, to boot....my g'son got spoiled for life, when he killed a banded greenhead on his first-ever duck hunt, with his first shot....that was about 8 years ago, and he hasn't killed another band, since.
    Southern Gentleman

My best duck hunting buddy has about ten of them on hos duck call lanyard. We hunted side by side for years.

I'm a better fisherman than he is though.

I've never caught a tagged fish either though.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Man you guys in the South argue over some strange stuff sometimes. I can't even begin to describe how meaningless a banded duck is to me or anyone I hunt with. Just absolutely don't care. It's kind'a like this out here; "Oh look your duck was banded, cool, now hurry and sit down before you scare the ducks." Then again, if it's me it's more like: "Hey mine has a band on it. I'd kind'a like to keep that, but if it means I got keep that nasty tasting duck y'all can have it."

Bands are cool in that you can see where your duck migrated from. I'd love to have killed one, just never came my way.

As for arguing about who killed a duck, I've hunted with many 'duck claimers'. Far as I'm concerned, if I knew I killed it and you wanna claim it, have at it. I'll still be huinting while you're sitting on the tailgate with your limit.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I like to collect them, but have never been a show-off with them....during duck season, just sit down in any cafe around here well before daylight, and you will always see at least a couple young 20 something lads, walk thru the door, wearing full camouflage clothes and enough black face paint that they look like Amos and Andy....they can barely hold their heads up because of the weight of their lanyards full of duck bands and duck calls....they actually rattle when they walk, sorta like a tin can full of rocks....tickles the heck outta me because you just know they bought 'em off ebay....it ain't no way they've killed all those bands in their young dumb lives.

Band.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Eddie, the ducks you have aren't like the ducks we have here. The numbers are like night and day. If the winter is cold and the water is hard in Kansas and Missouri, we get ducks in good numbers. Where you live, you get ducks in clouds. But they're fun to hunt no matter you are! And I don't pass any body of water anywhere that I don't check for ducks. Life long habit. I think it comes from sniffing spent shells. They must have gmos in them.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yep, we're in the middle of the flyway-highway, however, the hunting gets really good for us, too, when everything freezes and gets locked up, north of here.
    Southern Gentleman

I've killed a few banded ringnecks and got a couple of banded greater canadas while shooting next to our airport under USFWS permit, and also have killed mallards while doing the same control hunts. Have not killed mallards while actually duck hunting. I used to be into it big time and still have decoys,(lots) , boats, etc. One of the things on my bucket list is to do a flooded timber mallard hunt. Done the Argentina dove, almost have my turkey grand slam, shot geese next to the yellowstone river in Montana, but the mallard hunt has eluded me. Would also like to take an elk, but that one may never happen.
    Called in a band once and reported it as a ringneck duck killed on Mallard Pond, north of Tallahassee. Got the info back as a mallard, banded 2 years before in Tennessee. Have not had much faith in that system since then.....

Booger, I used to travel to Argentina on business and bumped into some guys once who were going duck hunting down there. They told me they shot sprigs till they just got tired of it. Shot cases of shells. No way they're the same chocolate heads we get but a pintail is a pintail.
    Trav and I talked about doing a hunt down there as they have a lot of hunting opportunities for not much money there. We just never were able to coordinate a business trip at the same time though.
    I wanted to do a red stag hunt there.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I've shot several banded ducks and I'm sure I kept the bands but have no clue where they have gotten to? I also fought one tagged rainbow and sent the tag in per the instructions and was SUPPOSE to get a reply and some notification of the catch and never heard back. I remember I sent it to some feller at Clemson so I guess they were too busy with their football program to follow up with the whole tagged trout thing.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I've got about a dozen duck bands on my dog whistle.. got a couple goose bands on my goose call (I think?) . They certainly don't fire me up much... but some guys go nuts over "jewelry"..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Barry, have not hunted the ducks down there although a lot of my friends have. They have some weird teal, strange pintails, rosy billed polchards, some kind of tree duck and some others. I think you can kill like 60 a day or some shit. We did 3 full days of doves. 8 if us killed just under 17,000.
    My friends that still go every year mix it up with doves, ducks and decoying pidgeons, which is supposed to eally be THE SHIT. You can can also shoot perdese(spell?) but most of the guys don't really like that.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I still remember the pictures you posted from that trip. Doves stacked to your knees. That's a lot of shooting. I'd bet a big cost of the trip would just be in ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

How hot did those gun barrels get Boog?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Well, my son and I shot 20 boxes each per hunt, am and pm. 3 days, so 240 boxes. About $9.50 a box (last I heard, now at about $14.00 a box) so $2280.00 for ammo, $1140 each. BKB, we rented 20 ga cordoba autos for a hundred bucks each. Cost about that to bring your own gun into the country and if theirs fucks up they hand you another just like it. Hot barrels is also another reason for shooting gloves. We put bandaids on fingers of loading hand and still got blisters and wore holes in the tips of brand new Bob Allen leather gloves in three days of stuffing in shells.

Much hotter than that and you'd be close to having rounds go off in the magazine.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Have shot a few ducks, geese, etc over the years but have only ever shot one banded waterfowl and that was a swan that had both a band and a neck collar. The info I got on the bird said, if I remember correctly, was that it was banded 9.5 (maybe it was 11.5 years ago) in the Norfolk, Virginia area.

I have also shot one banded rooster pheasant and caught on tagged northern pike.

See all those gents with the bands on their calls leads me to belief you can buy them in a gumball machine somewhere or else them southern ducks wear ALOT more jewelry than those up here in God's country.